Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Glock 27 and went to the range for the first time today...its worse than crack because I'm addicted.

I've decided my next firearm will be a rifle. The longest range in the area is 100-125yards.

I want something thats not expensive, maintenance heavy, or hard to find parts/whatever for.

I want to shoot the full range while seated/prone with a bipod and sight. I'm rifle illiterate. I shot a Ruger 10/22 today for the first time and it was an absolute blast, but I have no knowledge of its capabilities/limitations.

As far as expensive, I'd like to be under $500 everything included. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
If you're shooting a rifle for pleasure/accuracy, get a 10/22 or look into some .17 variant. The 22 ammo is cheap as hell, and the 10/22 is very upgradable and accurate.

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
.22 mags are a great little gun, my pop just bought a .204 ruger hi-po rifle, flat shooting and accurate, highly recommended

·
Registered
159 Posts
I own a ruger 10/22 it is be far the most fun for range shooting. They make all sorts of stocks for it, including just for fun the muzzlelit bullpup. The ammo is super cheap. And with that rifle you can shoot smiley faces at almost any range. Like nick said, you can customize it anyway you want, its a super easy rifle to maintain and best of all its cheap. Box of 100 matched rounds is like $10.

I have other more impressive rifles but for easy to operate, fun to use, easy to clean, and a low cost of owership, this is by far the best choice.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
.22 mags are a great little gun, my pop just bought a .204 ruger hi-po rifle, flat shooting and accurate, highly recommended
BINGO!

Exactly what I was going to say, we use the .204 and .22-250's for coyote hunting and the .204 is becoming our weapon of choice for the 100-150 yard range, haven't really shot beyond that. Hornaday bullet's at 4225 fps compared to most other small caliber rifles makes it appealing to me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Patrick,
Ive been competing in NRA, CMP, and ROTC, sense high school, and would love to offer any advise on rifle shooting I can.
The first advice ide give, is its the caliber not the make that matters. For 100yrds all manufactures will be about the same(yes some will be higher quality, but realistically unless you want to start competing you don't really need to spend the extra cash for oh say a Tikka)
If 100 yrds is what you looking to do, and you don't need to shoot farther or hunt, the the calibers ide recommend to you are; .22, .223, .22-250( I see lots of praise for .204 as well, honestly never used that one but have heard good things). All are relatively inexpensive rounds to buy in bulk, and the latter to will be fun for you if you ever decided to go to a larger range. ( on a side note, honestly ALL calibers are fine up to 100 yrds and if you dont plan on ever going to a longer range, .22 is the way to go, I personally like to feel a little something in my shoulder when i pull the trigger)

hope that helps!

·
Registered
126 Posts
the smallest caliber i shoot is a 223rem. what the point in having a rifle that cant put a person down , just my opinion.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
I will put my:2cents: in and give another:+2:for the Ruger 10/.22

that 10/.22 is uber acurate and can be made even more so with a BUNCH of aftermarket add ons and upgrades. But right out of the box they are pretty wicked accurate.

ammo is also cheap

I will recomend two things at the range that makes them even more fun.

aluminum pop cans filled with water and hollow point .22LR's (be sure to pick up the aluminum when you are done) and/or ballons filled with water, or even a little talc.

a heavy plate, or an old bell or something else that goes "ding" when hit

these are often refered to as "reactive targets". and people seem to do better with them

Every house in the US should have a Ruger 10/.22

Be careful with the exotic rounds (not sure how new or exotic the .204 is) but the ammo gets expensive and hard to get... you can walk into just about any place that sells ammo and pick up a brick (500rds) of Winchester Wildcats .22LR

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
all great advice:+1:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright well I have it narrowed down to two.

Went to the local gun shop today and he had two ready for sale:

10/22 with the Tapco T6 stock already installed. Often referred to as a "Tactical 22". It was $295 OTD and then I'd buy two 25 round magazines that are $18 each.

The other was a Savage Arms 22. Single shot, bolt action, WITH a scope for $205 OTD. Now, single shot would help me use less rounds and the scope was REALLY neat (never shot a rifle before yesterday...or used a scope), but I worry that the single shot would get old real fast.

I was told by the gun shop owner to buy the 10/22 because it was on the "hitlist" of Obama's and will be banned soon.

Opinions?

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
those two, i'd go with the ruger. tons of mods avail, keeps you from getting bored with it. great guns too, been around for a while

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Alright well I have it narrowed down to two.

Went to the local gun shop today and he had two ready for sale:

10/22 with the Tapco T6 stock already installed. Often referred to as a "Tactical 22". It was $295 OTD and then I'd buy two 25 round magazines that are $18 each.

The other was a Savage Arms 22. Single shot, bolt action, WITH a scope for $205 OTD. Now, single shot would help me use less rounds and the scope was REALLY neat (never shot a rifle before yesterday...or used a scope), but I worry that the single shot would get old real fast.

I was told by the gun shop owner to buy the 10/22 because it was on the "hitlist" of Obama's and will be banned soon.

Opinions?
Single shot would get old, but they are cool. We've got one of those Henry's with the octagonal barrel, lever action and it's a way fun gun to shoot as well.

the smallest caliber i shoot is a 223rem. what the point in having a rifle that cant put a person down , just my opinion.
.17, .204, .22, .22-250 will all easily put a person down if you can aim properly.

that work for ya??? .... :lol:

http://www.honorsquad.org/members/Barrett_50_cal_sniper_rifle.jpg

the unit i was previously with had one.... and only way to describe it is ....... Nucking Futts
:spit:

Hell yeah, dad looked at one this weekend, price tag of only $4500.:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
i have two 22 lr. one is a western auto semi and the rem 22 pump. the pump is rare. buy a brick and go shooting for half a day. for long range 300 yards plus. i use my ruger my 338 mag. anyone will tell you. 22's are fun to shoot. from beginners to expert. every one love to shoot a 22.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The range that i tipicaly go to allows me to shoot out to 260yrds. The rifles i shoot are Model 70's 30-06 and .270 winchesters and a Marlin 30-30 lever action (a fun open sight gun). I reload my own ammo so my cost of ammo is about a quarter of buying factory ammo evertime i go out. :badteeth:

If you get anything less than a .223rem rifle (I would find a Savage arms or a Rugger for your price range) I think you might grow board of it... the .223 will at least let you know that you shot it... and you can often find ammo for it in bulk form for about .28 cents ber plink.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am sick of hearing about Obama's "Hit List". There are still checks and balances that need to be pushed before a gun ban will be enacted. Having said that....If you're looking for a .22lr buy a plain jane 10/22 OR a Marlin Model 60. I prefer the Marlin. The 10/22 has a basically unlimited supply of after market goodies though. When it comes to firearms the simplier the better....Hence the Marlin.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am sick of hearing about Obama's "Hit List". There are still checks and balances that need to be pushed before a gun ban will be enacted.
True...not however the case with the Dems holding majority in both house and senate ("checks" are in his back pocket). It would take someone, or an organization to take a passed bill to the supreme court for the "balance" of consitution to make a difference:badteeth: just my .02:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts