Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends...

I was wondering about superbikes and I realised that in Ducati forum... R1 forum.. every forum the 1000cc bikes have some kind of "magic appeal" that (in some cases) make people afraid of them.

I've heard a lot of things like "Why would you want a liter bike if it has too much power for any situation that you ever will be?"

Besides that... everybody tells that even amoung the superbikes, the zx10r is specially powerful...

so.. the question is:

coming from street bikes like buell citycross.. triumph street triple.... is the zx10r too much to be fun? I mean... some guys told me that I would be so scared w/ all the power that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the ride...

Is it true? do you recommend a "600 supersport stage" before de 10r?

and no.. I'm not an expert rider... but I plan to learn to ride in a track.... w/ time everything is possible, right?

so.. thanks for the inputs..

Azp.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
As you will find from many, depends on you and your mindset...
Are you capable of having a balance between balls & brains?

A zx10r is as docile as any 600 (actually easier to ride in many regards) but when the throttle is twisted WAY back the bike becomes another animal.
With that working into the learning curve not jumping in fire is a better idea, and if you can do this i think you will be fine.

Only downside i can give the ZX-10R is that is does not handle as well as a 600 which no literbike does without some crazy money in wheels and mods, otherwise they kick ass.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It's all in the right wrist! Learn throttle control. IMHO the ZX10R is a better track bike than a street bike, but that doesnt mean I don't have a f'ing blast out in the hills on it come weekend time.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
As for fun, I cannot think of anything that's givin me as many grins per dollar. I have fun modding her, cleaning her, riding her, and just staring at her. So yes, they are very fun.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Respect is everything with a literbike especially with the 10R. Before my wife wrecked she rode my 10 which she really liked but was careful with the throttle. It's all about checking your ego at the door when you get on it, if not it will bite you, hard!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm.. nice!

I think it's gonna be OK...

I like to go fast, but I hate to be out of my confort zone.... Besides.. I consider myself a bit fearful...

so ...

and what about the other aspect? to become a "track rider".. do you think that it's ok to develop those skills w/ the 10r?

You know.. My point is... the 10r is my dream machine at the moment.. and to insert another step between me and her (like a 600 would be) means too much $$ down the toilet... =(

Azp.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
the 10r is only as lethal as you make it. it is said to have more engine that the rest,

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have had a few bikes from 500gs to hd 1200 to the zx10r. But i have loved nothing more then my 10. I myself have never hit the track and never had 1000 before my 10r. The track cost money but is well worth it and i am more then sure every one will say the same thing. They have groups for track days so you can learn to ride. On the street i am happy doing 30 or 80 mph i just love being on my 10R. hope that helps dude because i was in the same boat 2 years ago but i mad the jump and trust me you wont regret it as long as you can control yourself.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've always said that riding to close to the edge of you or your machine is when it becomes dangerous.

I tried a zx-6r 636 this summer and I was almost always at full throttle to match my "normal steady riding" on the 10r.

personaly I baught a 10 over a 6 cause it has more torque and you don't have to rev it as much.

If you go with the beast, you'll learn good throtle control and you will be able to ride any other bike.... if you go with the 600, you'll have to relearn as soon as you will jump on a liter bike

My 10 is my first bike and have absolutely no regret... superbe machine
it puts a :mrgreen: on my face every time

hope it helps

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
hmm.. nice!

I think it's gonna be OK...

I like to go fast, but I hate to be out of my confort zone.... Besides.. I consider myself a bit fearful...

so ...

and what about the other aspect? to become a "track rider".. do you think that it's ok to develop those skills w/ the 10r?

You know.. My point is... the 10r is my dream machine at the moment.. and to insert another step between me and her (like a 600 would be) means too much $$ down the toilet... =(

Azp.
A liter bike isnt the best bike to learn how to go fast on, a smaller cc bike will make you learn the things to become a great rider. It is very easy to become lazy and develope bad habbits starting out on a liter. If all you plan on is doing trackdays and weekend rides I wouldnt discourage you from a liter bike as long as you, like others have said and respec what it can do. If you plan on racing and or becomming a trackday legend, start of on a bike that makes you stay in the power band and correct gear everywhere on the track. I would also recommend used if you really mean to get track time because you will crash and you will break shit.
Honestly, I think you should just get what you want to get and go from there, bikes come and go, i say live in the moment cause you only get one go around in life. .02

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeah..... it's real scary.... that's why when I'm on it, any negative shit that happened to me during that particular day is all erased.... Just leaves me with a shit eatin' grin when I'm flying at the speed of light...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Based on the bikes you have ridden you will be fine. A bike does what you tell it to do. Respect the bike and your right hand and you will be fine I assure you.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Like everyone is saying. It's how You do it. No one on the internet is going to know how "right" your head is (unless you say something totally whack).

But.. only you know what judgement calls you make on the road, and what that road is like.

The bike is Max fun, riden by a rider that has developed skills and judgement to do it safe, and right for the place they are in. The bike delivers.

If a rider is under skilled, they won't bring out the bike. They will make mistakes. They will be fearful, it won't be good, chances of getting good aren't to good.

But.... I don't know You, and how you will do. Or what You feel about what you do.

All I know is the 05 ZX-10 (and taylored to my use) is the pinnacle of my motorcycle career. Nothing before that bike, even remotely came close.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
when I bought my 08 10r I was a little nervous before I rode it. Main reason was because I found to many people just making liter bikes all sound like untamed animal. I actually found it easier and nicer to ride then the 01 gsxr 750 I had. I mean it is definitely something you have to pay alot of attention with when you're going hard but it's not really difficult. Cruising around its super easy and more enjoyable than a 600 or 750.

·
Registered
844 Posts
after owning a 10r when i get on my zx7 or my brothers 636,they feel like toys compared to my 10.they only go as fast as you make them.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for; If you want to become a proficient track rider, best thing would be to buy a used SV650 (or 600 if you must) already setup for the track. You will learn more and faster on a smaller bike.

Doesn't mean you can't have a blast on a liter bike, but it is too easy to "cheat". It's also much easier to get yourself into trouble.

·
Registered
462 Posts
zx10r was my first bike, and the bike i learned on. I love it

1 - 20 of 62 Posts