Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
look out for #1 man.. from what you are saying these guys shouldn't be on the roads at the best of times... it's just a matter of time before someone gets hurt bad because of something that should not have happenened... it's alright to have a bit of fun but if the guys don't know how to do it properly it could be you going down next time due to someone elses bad riding.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My regular riding group is very small. We trust each other, and we know how to stay safe. I'm the heaviest-geared of all of us, and people don't give me a second look.

Having such a small group of busy guys, it's hard for us to get together and ride together. I had a desire to go riding with more people, opening up my opportunities for more group riding. I met up with a group of people I didn't know, who proceeded to weave in and out of traffic on busy interstates. I promptly took the nearest exit and continued on alone.

I'd rather ride alone than have to spend my limited riding time scraping someone's squid ass off the pavement.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Tough one. Sometimes the easiest solution is to find a different group. Or start your own ... and you set the rules.

We have a regular sub-group ride here. As usual these days, folks come from a much bigger on-line community. It was made very clear early on that in order to be "in", you have to know how to ride around a corner, and you have to not be a squid. Proper gear is expected, and stunting and attention-getting is out. Has to be that way, because otherwise the police are liable to seize everyone's bike. And yes, we have had the occasional discussion with some people. The folks behind this are (mostly) on the same page, and the riders who keep coming back are also on the same page.

The pre-season on-line discussion was entertaining ... some people didn't get the concept of going the speed limit (or close to it) on straightaways and not slowing down for corners. Much more common is wanting to go 200+ km/h on straightaways and then putter slowly around corners ... the on-line discussion seems to have mostly kept those people away.

So far, we've had few problems.

It's more tricky when it's someone else's ride. My own solution has often been to bring my little Honda CBR125. If I can't keep up on that ... it's not worth staying with the ride anyway, the police will be out looking.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Oh yeah ... jtemple has a good point. If dumb riding behaviour starts showing up, it's time to go in a different direction.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I go home or off by myself!!! LOL!!! But seriously if i'm doing a nice spirited group ride one of the regular requirments is for everyone to have a minimum level of gear, i.e. Jack/longselves, pants, helmet, and gloves... Usually I don't have to be the bad guy but we make it know up front... I used to only ride with the same group so the understanding was there... Especially after one or two of the group had already went down... my .02...

·
Registered
531 Posts
So I guess what I am wondering is what do you guys think? How would you deal with this situation? Honestly, most of the guys are decent guys, but man-o-man I feel like every ride with this bigger crew is just...well damn dangerous. I could lead by example I guess...but I am not some beacon of rightness when it comes to riding or anything. I could just stay away too. Or try to pull everyone in before a ride and go over a few things, but I don't want to come off as a preacher. (We have already had chats with most of the guys and pulled everyone in, but it seems people don't listen too well.) The general lack of gear disturbs me, with both groups...but I think I am wearing a couple of them down LOL.

So that's it...sorry for the book.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Opinions? Insults? Advice?

I think this is very important before any ride.. I mean safety is number one and there's nothing wrong with going over a few things especially if you don't know the group you're riding with... Its not preaching its just reminding everyone that we want to have fun but lets be safe doing it... You have every right to be concerned for your personal safety...

Lot of good comments from red, jtemple, and gofaster!!! Idealy it would be best to ride with those you know and trust... I've seen a few rides get out of hand and honestly I've walked away from them because I didn't feel safe...

Now that guy that went down was he all rashed up!!! Wonder if he will invest in a good jacket now??? I understand everyone has the right to choose what they want to wear... But I choose gear cause I don't want to be digging asfault out my skin or what's left of it....

Good Topic.... :thumbsup:

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
You need new riding partners buddy..Like you said, their actions will kill themself or other riders(just a matter of time). I'm not the fastest in my group but at the same time I know when to quit..Squids riders will kill your thrill for a days ride..1 guys goes down, it takes the fun out of you for the whole day..NOTE: Do they know what counter steering is?:spit::crackup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I wish the squid groups I sometimes end up riding with rode even that well... I mostly try to look out for myself and just keep my distance from people being unsafe. I have a few people I ride with that I trust, but for the most part I keep my distance from people until I build up a trust with the person.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I try to keep my riding groups to 10 or less, usually 5-6. Whoever is the ride captain should give a brief on expectations and safety to include ride route. If they don't like it then tell them to leave.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You need to distance yourself from those Idiots Bro, Case closed. Its only a matter of time before disaster.. 1 Squid goes down or worse one takes you down and the party`s over for everyone.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
When we ride here, no one is allowed without full gear. Noobs try to ride with the group sometimes but they crash allmost every week trying to keep up.Most run tires that don,t stick and are dangerous to be around so i don,t ride with them,if they are near me i just distance them till i till i cant see em. keep the best riders at the front and the noobs stay back.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
You need new riding partners buddy..Like you said, their actions will kill themself or other riders(just a matter of time). I'm not the fastest in my group but at the same time I know when to quit..Squids riders will kill your thrill for a days ride..1 guys goes down, it takes the fun out of you for the whole day..NOTE: Do they know what counter steering is?:spit::crackup:
+10,000.............I can't think of anything worse (short of dying) than to be laid up in the hospital,.......with your bike in a salvage yard or in peices,....because someone wanted to be a reckless asshole and ride like an idiot!.......find another group or if nothing else,...stop riding with em,.and if they ask why?.....tell them,.........if they are good friends or at the least,......give a shit about ya,.........they will straighten up and try and ride as an organized, educated, respectful group!

and as for the gear?.........keep wearing it!,......they will learn the hard way,..........just hope it doesn't take a death to open their eyes!

·
Registered
164 Posts
i have first hand experience with this subject like many others here. in the last two months, we have had three riders of our usual 12 go down all to what i call showboating and lack of experience.. trust me when i say that im not the best rider in the group.. but i ride to my abilities instead of riding over them.. im one of the oldest guys in my group at 27, so obviously there are many 'kids' riding to try and impress instead of bettering their skills. Most of us wear gear all the time.. some less than others but oh well it's their skin. And :+2: on someone going down and ruining your night .. plus it throws your game off alittle.. especially when it is the bike infront of you that went down. But i definately watchout for myself first and foremost! I try and help our riders that are literally scary to ride with. You just gotta keep in mind that everyone starts somewhere.. your not just going to hop on a bike and be the best without coaching.

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Most of these guys don't know what an apex is. Most of these guys don't know what a mini-lane is. Most of these guys don't know what outside-inside-outside means. Most of these guys hit the brakes in a turn from coming in too hot and stand the bike up. When we are in a group, most of these guys are WAY to close to the riders' 6 o'clock in front. Most of these guys don't know to go single file for turns. Most of these guys don't know what formations are, staggered or otherwise.
I've been riding motorcycles since I was 8...started on dirt. Got my first Ninja 600R when I was 14...anyways...I've ridden in groups on my chopper...no biggie, especially because you cannot take that fat ass 280mm rear tire through twisties at high speed. So, I know about the apex of corners/turns...I know about staying off other rider's six, I know about single file for turns...formations, etc. I don't showboat and I don't do stupid...I made through 12 years of the Marine Corps without getting my ass killed, so I am definately not going to kill myself on my Ninja...But, I am all about learning as much as I can...and I will be a big enough man to ask, WTF is a mini-lane and outside-inside-outside? Never ridden in a group of street-bikes (crotch rockets) so, educate me.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
^I was wondering the same thing.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts