Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was out locally today to do some riding with my Brother in Law & some of his friends. They are from Philly & I am from NY (just a little background). I have gone riding with all his friends from today a few times in the past & I have a good idea of what they do & how they ride (who in the group is slow like me & who to stay away from).

There was an extra person I didnt ever meet before & only one person from that group knew the guy.

Anyway, we went to a scenic spot & at the entrance a park ranger closed the scenic spot (not sure why & it doesnt matter to this story). Even though it was my local area, a few people had been there before (bear mtn if anyone was curious) & were leading. Once they went to the spot that was closed by the ranger, they had to go straight (no where to turn around), the group pulled over & asked me to lead to the next spot. I said "we need to turn around but lets pull forward to a safer spot" (for the 6 bikes to turn around).

So we pull out, (again this is a one lane road with lots of motorcycles going for a cruise), I am in the lead & I see a nice long stretch & a left hand road that looked good for us to turn around. We are doing 40-50, I turn on my signal, slow down a bit as I am approaching the turn, I see three of the bikes right behind me, arms out to signal, signals on.

I see them slowing down behind me, I start to turn & a gust of wind (& a ZX-12R) comes within 2 feet of my front tire. The blast of wind almost knocks me off my bike & I suddenly realize that someone almost hit me going so fast I didnt know what it was at first.

I would guess he was going 60 & if I were going just "slightly" faster, I am sure he would have demolished/killed me. It really really screwed me up.

As he went zooming past me, & I stopped for everyone to turn (again, thats how quick it happened - I didnt even comprehend what happened). I say to my brother in law, "Dan, was that my fault? I think he was within inches of killing me". Dan said more like 2 feet, but who am I to judge.

He kept asking if I was OK & two of the guys didnt even know what happened. The guy that almost hit me on the 12R, kept going straight & about 5 minutes later (as we are all waiting & comparing notes), he drives past us, beeps & waves goodbye (he drove 2+ hours from PA to NY) then takes off alone to where ever.

I am not sure if he thought I was at fault & he wanted to get away, or if he thought I was pissed. At this point I am pissed but at that point I was in shock.

Anyway, the thought of what a 200 pound person + a 500 pound bike going at least 60mph makes me think I came very very close to getting killed or seriously injured with lifelong damage.

The rest of the day (while riding) I was thinking about what happened. Needless to say that ruined the ride for me for the day but I kept going & just stayed in the back going pretty slow. I cant stop thinking about how lucky I am that there isnt a RichTJ99 RIP thread. I really think I almost died today. Maybe I am over reacting, maybe not. Do you guys have close calls often? I admit, I gave my wife a big hug & kiss hello & was very glad to be home alive.

I dont remember ever going riding & being thankful to be home, alive, and in one piece. While I was looking behind me & doing whatever I could have done to do a "normal" uturn, you never can guess what someone else is going to do. I would suggest that when you ride with a newbie, be very aware of what they might do. I mean newbie in a new to you rider, it doesnt matter how long they have been riding.

I normally ride with 1 person & I was bitching at the begining of the summer how I dont have anyone to ride with but him. Now I am glad that I dont go in large groups (I wont anymore if I can help it, if not, I will stay in the back where I can see people).

I realize the guy was someone I didnt know & maybe he just saw a straight & took off but either way I think it really scared me silly.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Rich

·
talker of shite
7,285 Posts
Sounds like you were lucky there Rich,just goes to prove you need your wits about you when out on a ride.I mean ,if you signalled then the guy behind should NOT be passing.When I go on a ride I always do the "lifesaver" before signalling & turning! And it's also a good reason never to listen to mp3 players while riding :wink:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
wow....Glad your allright. today I took my 1st group ride. Something to keep in the back of my mind though...know who you ride with..

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
danno22 said:
And it's also a good reason never to listen to mp3 players while riding :wink:
Yep, I was thinking about getting a MP3 player to use on the bike. However, I have rethought that tonight.

I suppose to me what was scary (I have had some "Oh Shit" moments before today), this was the first one that I couldnt control & didnt see until it was way to late. Basically when I have had scary moments, it was due to my own stupidity, not someone elses.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Since i've had years of group riding with a local club i can tell ya it takes all your wits every time out for various reasons but Rich your feelings are real and shouldn't be dismissed as over reacting.

BD

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
RichTJ99 said:
I suppose to me what was scary (I have had some "Oh Shit" moments before today), this was the first one that I couldnt control & didnt see until it was way to late. Basically when I have had scary moments, it was due to my own stupidity, not someone elses.
It's the one's that you have no control over that will scare the "bleep" out of you. You'd just be caught up in someone else's screw up.
The cases where it's your fault, or within your control, don't seem to get to you to the same depth as the other ones do.
You were lucky, maybe you sensed it, either way, you dodged one today. Does make one wake up and smell the coffee.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Glad you're still around Rich...i hear ya dude....i sometimes ride with friends but my best rides are the ones in which i'm alone.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
pongo said:
Glad you're still around Rich...i hear ya dude....i sometimes ride with friends but my best rides are the ones in which i'm alone.

yep mine too.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I guess that Rich I have to ask why you didn't look in your mirror or over your shoulder as you were getting ready to make the u-turn?? I'd say that the other guy was more at fault by flying by, but 60 mph isn't overly excessive speed and I'd guess the new guy didn't know where you were going to turn around. :dontknow: On a bike you have to be ready for any and everything to happen..because it will. I have had some close calls before but you HAVE GOT to shrug them off or it effects your riding for the rest of the day. As you said it did. The best thing you could of done after that happened is call it a day because it was obviously bothering you and your ability to concentrate the rest of the day which also put yourself and others in danger by your lack of concentration.
In a nutshell it sounds to me like you like to follow and not lead so thats where you should stay.
You need to have a clear mind when your out riding so that you can react to the dangers that are around all of us each time we go out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This really isnt about following or leading..at least it isnt too me. It's totally about group riding and people in the back NOT paying attention. Few years back couple of guys got killed her in Cincy on a 20-30 bike group ride up I-75. The lead bikes saw a LEO sittin off to the side and slowed down. Most of the bikes slowed as well. a few toward the end werent paying attention and panic brakes cause a few bikes behind them to plowed into the pack as it slowed down. All in all it was about 8 bikes that went down 2 killed and a few seriously hurt.
Rich it's one of those deals where you take a chance no matter where you ride with a group. Up front or in the back. It's a risk riding in a group. One of the main reasons I've realy cut back on the group riding. And when I go on group rides I make SURE I know where the newbs are.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Hey rich, glad it ended ok. When there's a newbie in a ride I usually hang back. Unfortuanately someone you've known for years can fug you up too. After being tail ended by another bike I am very paranoid about riders behind me. I'll let you know when it wears off. I think it'll take some time.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The best group ridin' is done with guys you've been there and done that before sorta thing. Group ridin' is absolutely the best when your all on the same page. I gotta tell ya the guys some of which are from here, litrejunkie Ballzman, 06g1k, ZX10Killa and others, are the best. I think ego plays a large roll in whether the group ride is enjoyable or not. If ya got that one person always tryin' ta one up the next guy it gets a little freaky.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
busaforhire said:
I guess that Rich I have to ask why you didn't look in your mirror or over your shoulder as you were getting ready to make the u-turn??
Well, I did look in my mirror & saw two guys behind me with their signals on & their hands in the air (we signal with hand & turn signals), I made the mistake of "assuming" that everyone else was slowing down to turn as well.

I did want to call it a day but they were my local roads & for the rest of the day, when we would get to a good spot, I was waving the group on past me to have fun in the corners.

Anyway, all is well & I am a bit calmer today about the incident. I do not like leading & I will stick in the back where I am more comfortable.

As a control freak, I like to see where everyone is & what everyone is doing :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
zx-7rking said:
All in all it was about 8 bikes that went down 2 killed and a few seriously hurt.
Rich it's one of those deals where you take a chance no matter where you ride with a group. Up front or in the back. It's a risk riding in a group. One of the main reasons I've realy cut back on the group riding. And when I go on group rides I make SURE I know where the newbs are.
Yep, as I spoke to my main riding buddy who has been in New Orleans for the last few weeks towing insurance totaled cars away, we agreed that as "lame" as we thought just the two of us riding together could be, we prefered it that way (not to say I wont do more group rides but small groups are definately a better way to go).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow that definitely sounds like a close call. From your post it looks like you didn't do anything wrong. You did signal, you looked back and saw others signaling as well. That guy is an asshole.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
My heart started beating just a little faster when you wrote about the "gust of wind". I've had a few close calls, but that one sounds scary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts