Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to vent here for a bit... I hope someone understands.

I get honked at, buzzed, cut off, yelled at, cursed at, given the finger, brake checked, revved at ... almost daily when I ride my bicycle. People are just really mean.

What makes people think that they have more of a right to go from point A to point B than I do just because they are in a car ?

I fuxing hate cagers. :fu2:

I know its wrong, but sometimes i wish some of the mean ones would get in a fiery wreck and burn to death !
 

·
Still here
Joined
·
9,059 Posts
Even worse when they don't recognize or respect a bicycle lane.

Reminds me of the old Goofy, Disney cartoon. Probably saw it in a driver's ed course or driving school for ticket.

from amazon:

Motor Mania
Directors: Jack Kinney
Theatrical Release Date: June 30, 1950
Genres: Family, Animation, Short

Plot Outline Mild-mannered average guy Mr. Walker (Goofy) turns into violent Mr. Wheeler when he starts driving. Back on his feet, Mr. Walker finds it nearly impossible to cross the street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
fordfasterr I know its wrong said:
I never say sh*t like that, just out of fear of karma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
I'd say the average traffic asshole is more inconsiderate than mean to bicyclists. I'm a regular bicycle commuter (to/from downtown DC) who purposely works early hours so as to avoid heavy traffic as much as possible. In my experience, folks just seem to be more selfish/self-absorbed/thoughtless than cruel or otherwise malicious. Not to say there aren't a few really bad apples out there . . . being hidden within two tons of steel can definitely tend to exacerbate the aggressive tendencies of the average, everyday jerk.

You have my sympathies! :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Green Dude said:
. . . . being hidden within two tons of steel can definitely tend to exacerbate the aggressive tendencies of the average, everyday jerk.

You have my sympathies! :mrgreen:
Agreed, and thanks.

I got cursed at today by a dude in a big pickup truck ... lol He said something of " what the f_k are you doing ? " ...

Apparently the idea of another person using a bicycle on the road is impossible to comprehend and can only be solved by yelling and cursing at people...
 

·
Supercharged Mod
Joined
·
4,391 Posts
I firmly believe that in order to get a driver's license, it should be a requirement to spend two weeks riding something with two wheels (powered or not) and to spend two weeks in the cab of a transport truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
I think people should be required to have a driver's license to ride a bicycle on the road. No offense, but around here, cyclists want to be treated like every other car on the road but then run red lights, pass every car in a line on the shoulder, drive down the sidewalk, cut across parking lots, etc. with no repercussions. If i tried half of what they do with a motorcycle even, the cops would run out of tickets.
 

·
Supercharged Mod
Joined
·
4,391 Posts
You're absolutely right about a lot of cyclists thinking the traffic laws don't apply to them. Goes both ways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
BrockLanders said:
I think people should be required to have a driver's license to ride a bicycle on the road. No offense, but around here, cyclists want to be treated like every other car on the road but then run red lights, pass every car in a line on the shoulder, drive down the sidewalk, cut across parking lots, etc. with no repercussions. If i tried half of what they do with a motorcycle even, the cops would run out of tickets.
:+1: I hate it when bicycle riders think that they are cars and act like that. I also ride a bicycle sometimes but I act accordingly stay away from cars' way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
fordfasterr said:
I got cursed at today by a dude in a big pickup truck ... lol He said something of " what the f_k are you doing ? " ...
I had the same happen to me once last year, while I was riding through a crosswalk with the "walk" sign and green light in my favor. The truck driver decided he'd waited long enough at the red light and started to run the red--without looking for folks coming in the crosswalk, of course--rather than waiting another 15 seconds for his green light. Just about mowed me down--closest I've come to getting collected by a cager.

Yes, he yelled at me for that one. Sweet. Probably yells at a lot of things he doesn't understand--like fire, electricity, and indoor plumbing. Maybe even the internets or the Google. :headshake

Sounds like you are definitely dealing with an unenlightened commuting populace--where are you located/riding?

GD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hattori Hanzo said:
:+1: I hate it when bicycle riders think that they are cars and act like that. I also ride a bicycle sometimes but I act accordingly stay away from cars' way.

This sounds like the mentality of most people on the roads. :eyecrazy: I don't think that I'm a car, but I certainly know how to comport myself when riding a bicycle. You may not know as much about velo-cycling as I do, but one thing that is certain is that cyclists who " act like cars " are more likely to be treated like cars, whereby reducing accidents.

For instance, if I am on the road, and riding along WITH traffic, I am more visible, if I am in the line, cars behind me are more likely to SEE ME and therefore give me the proper space when passing. Also, on narrower roads, riding more toward the inside of the lane reduces the chance that a car might take the opportunity to squeeze in and possibly hit me or push me off of the road... I ride defensively - that is my right.

If someone is driving along in their 3000 lb cage, they better have some respect for me because I have the same right that they do to go from point A to point B (dejavu - first post?).

In my state, a bicycle is considered a vehicle, and has full rights to use the road just as a car (with some exceptions), also, in my state - cagers are required to give a cyclist 3 feet of space when passing in the same lane.

As far as people who ride up the curb to the front of the line, thats just too bad, a bicycle is smaller and can fit there without any problem so why should cagers care if a bicycle filters up and they don't ?

Sounds like velo-envy to me. lol :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Hattori Hanzo said:
I hate it when bicycle riders think that they are cars and act like that.
I have no recollection of ever thinking that I am a car. Now that you mention it, though, I could really go for a glass of gasoline . . . :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
Green Dude said:
I have no recollection of ever thinking that I am a car. Now that you mention it, though, I could really go for a glass of gasoline . . . :wink:
What you are picking on is what I meant. Yes in traffic when they pull up infront of your car in motion as if they have a bodywork around them makes me think that they think they are cars, it's not the bicycle doing it, it's them. Before the gasoline I think you should go get your ECU checked, doesn't seem to be working well, running a little lean :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
fordfasterr said:
This sounds like the mentality of most people on the roads. :eyecrazy: I don't think that I'm a car, but I certainly know how to comport myself when riding a bicycle. You may not know as much about velo-cycling as I do, but one thing that is certain is that cyclists who " act like cars " are more likely to be treated like cars, whereby reducing accidents.

For instance, if I am on the road, and riding along WITH traffic, I am more visible, if I am in the line, cars behind me are more likely to SEE ME and therefore give me the proper space when passing. Also, on narrower roads, riding more toward the inside of the lane reduces the chance that a car might take the opportunity to squeeze in and possibly hit me or push me off of the road... I ride defensively - that is my right.

If someone is driving along in their 3000 lb cage, they better have some respect for me because I have the same right that they do to go from point A to point B (dejavu - first post?).

In my state, a bicycle is considered a vehicle, and has full rights to use the road just as a car (with some exceptions), also, in my state - cagers are required to give a cyclist 3 feet of space when passing in the same lane.

As far as people who ride up the curb to the front of the line, thats just too bad, a bicycle is smaller and can fit there without any problem so why should cagers care if a bicycle filters up and they don't ?

Sounds like velo-envy to me. lol :lol:
In most countries bicycles are considered a vehicle and has full rights to use the road, but no one will shoot you if you don't. I choose to not use my rights and annoy car drivers when I am riding a bicycle. If there is a large enough sidewalk I ride on that, if there is not then I ride on the side of the road so the car drivers just pass me and get the hell away from me. What you call defensive doing 10mph going in the middle of the road can turn into something offensive for the car behind you that's capable of doing 60mph on that particular road. I ride a bicycle, a motorcycle, drive a car and other stuff so I know how it feels to be on the other side so I act accordingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hattori Hanzo said:
In most countries bicycles are considered a vehicle and has full rights to use the road, but no one will shoot you if you don't. I choose to not use my rights and annoy car drivers when I am riding a bicycle. If there is a large enough sidewalk I ride on that, if there is not then I ride on the side of the road so the car drivers just pass me and get the hell away from me. What you call defensive doing 10mph going in the middle of the road can turn into something offensive for the car behind you that's capable of doing 60mph on that particular road. I ride a bicycle, a motorcycle, drive a car and other stuff so I know how it feels to be on the other side so I act accordingly.

My average speed around town is 19.2 mph (I usually travel between 20-23 mph everywhere I go). On most flat roads, I can sprint up to 30 mph easily. Down hill I can hit 45 mph on my own power, and I can draft trucks at 35-40 mph sustained for miles on end. LOL

Also, riding on the sidewalk is illegal in my city and in most major metropolitan areas ! (The only exceptions are minors and bicycles with wheels smaller than 20" such as BMX bikes which are typically used by children).

I use a road bike. < ROAD BIKE > !! OMG what were they thinking when they named them that ! HAHA

Lastly, inconvenienceing other people is not my concern when they are in a 3000lb tank barreling down the road at any speed they want. Sure, they can easily kill me, but fux it - i'd rather ride than ride around in a cage my whole life.


=)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,624 Posts
Green Dude said:
...Probably yells at a lot of things he doesn't understand--like fire, electricity, and indoor plumbing. Maybe even the internets or the Google.....

I know I do! :crackup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,624 Posts
:eek:t:
The cagers I love are the ones that honk when you slow down in front of them to go around a turn.
Quick story. Lady behind me in a Honda (I'm in a 3/4 ton van) starts honking because I'm stopped behind another small car that's turning. The next lane over is clear, but she's not going around. Don't know if she can't see the car in front, or is just being a pain. When I say honk, I mean lay down on the horn and not let up. So....I'm now behind her and every time for the next 2 miles before she turns off the road I'm going on, I'm on the horn, solid everytime I see her brake lights. Traffic lights, doesn't matter, I see red, she hears horn. Nothing like a horn going for a minute to rattle the bitch. :lol: Vendictive little prick, ain't I. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I live in the Bay Area, Ca . For the most part people on bikes dont bother me. However when I am carving up and down 9, 84, 35,1, they should stay in the BIKE lane. A lot of times I come around a corner and 5 fuggers in my lane! I rev it, honk, give the finger, do a wheelie, anything to scare them into staying in the lane that was meant for them, the bike lane!!!
stay in the bike lane if you ride a pedal bike ----lol :welcome:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gpz1100 said:
:eek:t:
The cagers I love are the ones that honk when you slow down in front of them to go around a turn.
Quick story. Lady behind me in a Honda (I'm in a 3/4 ton van) starts honking because I'm stopped behind another small car that's turning. The next lane over is clear, but she's not going around. Don't know if she can't see the car in front, or is just being a pain. When I say honk, I mean lay down on the horn and not let up. So....I'm now behind her and every time for the next 2 miles before she turns off the road I'm going on, I'm on the horn, solid everytime I see her brake lights. Traffic lights, doesn't matter, I see red, she hears horn. Nothing like a horn going for a minute to rattle the bitch. :lol: Vendictive little prick, ain't I. :lol:

Great story !

=)

When I used to drive cages, one of the first things I did was to install a FIAMM High Tone Highway Blaster horn... that thing pumps out 132 db of pure hatred !!!!

I Loved it. My g/f drives and I just installed one on her car, man its fuxing awesome.

:thumbsup: BLAST'EM !
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top