Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coworker of mine wanted to start riding.. so what does he get for his very first bike to learn on? A fully race prepped Duc 919? Ok, yes it was one hell of a deal and yes it WAS a cool looking bike, but he road just a little above his abilities and it bit him on the butt - actually the shoulder. We haven't heard what the extent of the damage to him was (we're thinking broken shoulder or collar bone - or both) and the bike, well lets just say that he's going to be taking it a little easier once he mends.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Wish him well when you find out his condition. Gotta agree with TI10, hard lesson. Hope it doesn't put him off riding completely.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sneaky_devil said:
I've seen this bike around. Where'd he end-up eating it?
We were in a small pack (6-7) riding out on Osteen / Maytown Road. Those who know the road also know that a lot of bikes crash out there. Nothing for miles, no side roads, no people, very very few police. The problem with the road is that supersonic speeds can be reached but every so often is a turn that will catch you off guard. I've ridden the road a handful of times so I know what to expect but it was his first time and got cought up in the heat of the moment. I guess I and a few others should of taken it easier and acted a little more mature. 3 of us had left the pack and I guess he was trying to catch up (not an easy thing to do when you're trying to catch a Busa, my ZX14 and a GSXR all doing 150+ at times). We still haven't heard a word from him but I'll go by his house or the hospital tomorrow and see what I can find out.

As for the bike, yes them Duc parts can be a little pricy, but when he bought the bike he got 3 sets of plastics, two sets of wheels so other than an expensive fairing mount, couple of headlights and a new radial master cylinder, it shouldn't be to bad for him. The forks and wheels are still straight.

Always, ALWAYS ride within your limits. If your buddies leave you smelling exhaust fumes, you'll catch up to them when they get pulled over sooner or later.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Probably not a good idea to over ride any 'new to you' road. I live right down the road from 415 on Courtland and ride Maytown pretty much every other weekend. I've mostly only seen cruisers miss corners out there...but I suppose anythings possilble. Glad to hear he's alive...I hear those swamp pines can be brutal when you're airborne.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most would consider what we call a corner, a gentle sweeper...but it's that or on/off ramps. That's why it's so easy to misjudge certain corners (sweepers) at speed.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hope he's gonna be OK and doesn't stop ryding after lesson learned. Some peeps get really spooked and bail out before realizing how much fun ryding can really be whether you hit the canyons, track, or street.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sucks about your friend. Sucks even worse about the bike. That looks like a BEAUTIFUL piece of machinery. I was always a fan of the Tamburini bikes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts