Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you used Ride-On motorcycle formula for tire balancing? I just had my rims powdercoated and new tires put on my bike. The mechanic recommended using Ride-On instead of traditional wheel weights and a machine to balance the tire. He said it works MUCH better and makes the wheels last longer.

Pretty much you inject the tire with the Ride-On formula through the tire valve stem. After the proper dosage is put into the tires, you ride the bike for about 5 miles and the Ride-On will balance the tires out.

I wound up going with his recommendation. After I rode the bike for the first time, it seemed a little bumpy, then after about 5 miles the bike felt very smooth.

Needless to say, I like the idea of having this instead of the ugly silver wheel weights on my powdercoated rims.

Here is the website if anyone wants to take a look and give their input. They also have products for cars and other vehicles.

Motorcycle Tire Sealant | Scooters Tire Sealant | Motorcycle Formula (MOT) - Ride-On

Here are the installation instructions and customer testimonials.

http://www.ride-on.com/images/stories/pdf/motorcycle-dosage-april-2012.pdf

Motorcycles - Ride-On

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
Never used the stuff and never will. Kinda the same concept of the balancing beads IMO. If it was a low-speed bike like a scooter or touring bike, no issues. I can't think this works very well in a high-horsepower, high lean angle machine like the ZX-10R.

I usually get black wheel weights and tape over them any way. Even if the weights are silver, you can't see them once the black duct tape goes over the top to secure them. Problem solved!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Don't use it. A motorcycle is a machine first and a work of art second. Use the proper type of wheel weight; putting that Gorilla Snot in your tires is a bad idea. It is inconsistent in performance and creates a huge mess when you go to replace your tires.

It is way cooler to have regular wheel weights and then put black tape over them which is what we track day and racer guys do.

Powder coating is fine (although it adds extra weight) but you don't need wheel balancing issues along with it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hell I barely even notice the "ugly silver" weights. Maybe that's just me though. They aren't an eyesore at all because I know they are there to make the bike perform it's best. I don't like the idea of squeezing crap into the tires, it instantly remiinds me of that Slime crap i used to use on my bike as a kid lol.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don't use it. A motorcycle is a machine first and a work of art second. Use the proper type of wheel weight; putting that Gorilla Snot in your tires is a bad idea. It is inconsistent in performance and creates a huge mess when you go to replace your tires.

It is way cooler to have regular wheel weights and then put black tape over them which is what we track day and racer guys do.

Powder coating is fine (although it adds extra weight) but you don't need wheel balancing issues along with it.

"Gorilla Snot" LMAO

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gorilla Snot made me chuckle. lol But, I already have installed it in my tires. The reviews on their website were pretty good and it says that it's good for speeds over 230mph. I got the bike up to over 100mph and it felt fine. My mechanic even swore by it and said it is much better than the wheel weights. I'm thinking I should be fine until my next set of tires.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It looks like you need to put a whole bottle in each tire? That's 30 bucks per set of tires? I go through tires like I go through toilet paper. No thanks. I reuse my wheel weights (I have a balancer and use the clip on type weight). :)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I usually get black wheel weights and tape over them any way. Even if the weights are silver, you can't see them once the black duct tape goes over the top to secure them. Problem solved!

This FTW. Heck what a couple bottles of that stuff cost I got a box of tape weights and my balancer, I can do 50 balances. I mean I get if it was a show bike or something maybe, but then why even balance them anyhow.

I could maybe see myself trying this in my car when my new wheels come. They are an extreme deep dish so I will only be static balancing them. Maybe using this for that application would help get a better balance where I would only be using weights on the inside lip of a 12" wide rim.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Bought the dynabeads (or whatever the name for the ceramic balls that do the same thing is) and tried it back in 08 or so. It "seemed" like it worked ok but I was going thru two sets of tires a season back then so if it didn't work, I would only have to deal with it for a few months at most. Still have some left but wouldn't use them again after doing more research on the high speed aspect like SkyDork mentioned.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just called Ride-On yesterday and asked them how their product would work in high speed scenarios over 200MPH. I also asked them how their product would adjust to track days with a lot of turning and "knee-dragging"

Their response:

"You should be fine. We've tested our product in the World's Fastest Harley at over 230MPH and it has worked fine. However, you are using the product beyond what we designed it for so it's hard for us to tell you there won't be any issues based on how you plan on using your bike"

Needless to say, I didn't feel confident with that answer. Therefore, I am going to be removing my tires, getting all the gorilla snot out, and re-balancing them with tire weights the old fashioned way.

What a waste of $30... :confused:

Oh, well. Lesson learned!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
I just called Ride-On yesterday and asked them how their product would work in high speed scenarios over 200MPH. I also asked them how their product would adjust to track days with a lot of turning and "knee-dragging"

Their response:

"You should be fine. We've tested our product in the World's Fastest Harley at over 230MPH and it has worked fine. However, you are using the product beyond what we designed it for so it's hard for us to tell you there won't be any issues based on how you plan on using your bike"

Needless to say, I didn't feel confident with that answer. Therefore, I am going to be removing my tires, getting all the gorilla snot out, and re-balancing them with tire weights the old fashioned way.

What a waste of $30... :confused:

Oh, well. Lesson learned!

Next time be sure to ask us BEFORE buying something for your ZX.:lol:

Glad you got it figured out now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sooo...Luckily my mechanic is awesome and didn't charge me a dime. I have no more Ride-On in the wheels but instead I am using wheel weights. I can't really notice a difference in the ride but psychologically I feel much better.

Thanks again for the input!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts