Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dayum, cycle-parts.com wants $115 bones for the spacer "set" from Kwak. Anybody got any ideas? I'm thinking I may just go out and find the right sized washers(17.3X32X3.2mm) and stack them for the desired thickness.
Anyone have any reason(s) not to?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yup, $4.13 for the 3.2mm thick washer from Kawi. I'm sure it's cheaper than that from Home Depot or Allied Bolt, even in Aluminium. Looks like I'll just stack a few of those up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why do you want to increase rear ride height?
Does the bike not turn in to your liking?

What is your intended use of the bike?
Pure street
Combo street/track (mostly street)
Combo street/track (mostly track)
Pure track

I've heard from several very reputable sources that the 10R does not like ride height in the rear, anymore than you absolutely must anyway due to DOT race tire sizes. Maybe Gary could shed some light on this for us???

What make & size of tires are you running?

If you go from the 218 (190/50) to the Pirelli SuperCorsa (190/55) you are gaining like 8mm right off the batt in the rear...

Just curious,

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like it to turn in a little quicker on the street. I use it primarily for the street with a few track days/year. with the stock 190 out back it took too much effort to turn for my liking. I went to a 190 208ZR out back and 120 ZR up front and I felt like I was having to pull the rear over to get in a turn(like the front wanted to turn in nice but the rear was lagging behind). switched to the 180/55 ZR out back and things are better now, but I'd still like it a little quicker. I'm thinking I may wind up going back to the 190 because I'm turning the 180 right off the edge of the tire:

I don't mind going back to the 190's to get a little more rubber, but I don't like the way they turn in. I have yet to mount up the GP's, but I think I'll like them on this bike. Always did on the 6R and 7R. What they lacked in stability, they made up for with ease of turn in

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
http://www.motorcycle-nerd.com/ninja636.html
You will see the part number for a nut that came on 98 zx6rs which makes the ride height adjustable simply by loosening the top mount nut. I think I paid $9 shipped....part no. 92015-1953
http://www.motorcycle-nerd.com/ride_height.jpg
I left that nut on the 636 when I sold the bike, and instead mounted the 6mm shim from the 636 into the zx10r. With ratio of rear being 1:1.5...i've effectively raised the rear the 3mm over stock or 4.5mm if I would have raised the forks.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I got to test ride it today and it is leagues better. I swear I've never liked the 170 front tires, but this bike rails. It is no R6, but I think it can hang with the 636 much better than before the adjustment. Again, I added 3mm to the rear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where did you get the 1:1.5 linkage ratio figure?

I read somewhere, but I can't remember where, that the shock has 74mm or travel, and Kawi claims on their website that the rear suspension of the ZX10R has 4.0" (101.6mm) of travel.

This would equate to a (shock travel : tire travel) linkage ratio of 1:1.373
However when I measured my bike before and after changing the rear shock length I measured a ratio of 1:1.3

So if you increase your shock length by 3mm then you increase your rear ride height by approx 4.5mm correct?
(If my ratio is correct closer to 4mm)

If anyone is wondering I'm really interested/anal about the black art of motorcycle setup!!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bninja, that's the same setup the Zx7 uses. I've been thinking about that as well.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
The ratio of 1:1.5 is the raising of the rear in relation to raising the forks in the tubes. So 3mm raised in the rear is same as raising the forks 4.5mm.
And you guys know I meant 120/70...it was early cut me some slack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
BNninja said:
The ratio of 1:1.5 is the raising of the rear in relation to raising the forks in the tubes. So 3mm raised in the rear is same as raising the forks 4.5mm.
Now I'm really confused

·
Registered
740 Posts
I use the super corsas and I can tell you that I have no problem turning in and I'm using all of my tire as well. We just got back from Mugello and I did a repectable 2.16.05 at the end of the day. That was my first time on that track and am still learning to ride the 10 in anger. God I love being stationed in Italy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts