Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 zx10r
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving my zx10r but there's one thing I can't get used to. Compared to my zx6r, there is a feeling of being disconnected from the throttle response. I've stalled it a couple of times from not revving it high enough at a stop light, even though I twist the throttle about 1/5 I only feel like it gives me "10%" throttle. It also feels pretty dead in the lower rpm range.

Is there any way to improve this?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
Yes. You need to reflash the ECU and play with the ETV maps. I've stalled mine more times than I'd like to admit due to the same thing. But you get used to it. It's just the nature of the beast and takes more time to adjust to it. Otherwise, you'll need to play with the ETV settings yourself to tune it out some and that's more trial-n-error than just set-it-and-forget it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
The mechanical "feel" of the throttle is identical to the past models and that's due to the cabling system. That's why it's there in the first place slack adjustment and mechanical feel at the grip.

·
Registered
704 Posts
1000% ETV ECU flashing helps to solve it. BUT make sure youre getting a solid ETV map with your flash.
I also run the engine braking in Low to help keep the RPM up.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
1000% ETV ECU flashing helps to solve it. BUT make sure youre getting a solid ETV map with your flash.
I also run the engine braking in Low to help keep the RPM up.
I also run the EBC in low. Helps.

The best option is to flash it yourself and play with the settings to suit your needs. What works for one person doesn't make everyone else happy.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if the race spec ECU has a different stock ETV map. Anyone know or have tables?

·
Registered
14 Posts
To you all gurus out there: Flashing option is recommended by almost everyone. What other options such as Power Commander or other tunes are available? My bike on has 150 miles on it and I am getting the hang of it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
To you all gurus out there: Flashing option is recommended by almost everyone. What other options such as Power Commander or other tunes are available? My bike on has 150 miles on it and I am getting the hang of it.
Power Commanders modify the fueling or the ignition timing only. There isn't much else they can do. If you have access to the software on the main computer and can modify that directly, everything is available to tune up if you can gain access to it. I can remove the restrictions, I can modify the fueling, the ignition timing, disable the AIS, the exhaust servo, the intake flap, change the throttle valve maps, change the power mode maps individually, reset fault codes, enable the race dash, enable the autoblip, change some settings associated with that, lower the fan turn on temps, etc, etc. The list goes on. There are a few products to do this. Woolich or FTECU are the big ones. Power Commanders are pretty ancient at this stage and not real useful unless you have a mail-in flash that you need to tweak the fueling on yourself.

Disclaimer: I'm no guru, I just imitate one on the Interweb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks, Sky. I appreciate your knowledge of the bike. I have been riding for a long time but don't get into heavy modification. The bikes are quick as they are, but this is good information. Once the bike is broken in, I will look into this.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
In mine What I have done is to decrese de % in the low TPS columns until 7000rpms, so it goes more gradual... makes the bike more soft, more natural that way...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If anyone wants email me I can send or post the ETV maps,
What happens, if ETVs are open to fast at low RPM I have found that engine does not like it and feels jerky and bad...

·
Registered
18 zx10r
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If anyone wants email me I can send or post the ETV maps,
What happens, if ETVs are open to fast at low RPM I have found that engine does not like it and feels jerky and bad...
Post it if you can please. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
when I get home, I will post mine...
I have the belive that until you get to 50% tps riding, you just need control, after that you need power, and that helps riding.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Etv maps and iap map adjustment help, get rid of decel fuel cut and raise the idle rpm up a lil bit. I think mines sitting at 1250 rpm. I have stalled it all of 3 times since I bought it and only once since I flashed it. If you don't want to spend the 400 or so to buy a flash kit yourself I'm sure you can find someone near you that will do it for about 200. Up to you. That's what I charge people to flash thier bikes. It costs me 100 for a bin file and then my time and effort to do it. All up since I have to go through all the options and try to adjust it to thier setup as best as possible it's not like I'm coming up but I'm sure there are people around wherever you live that will do the same kind of thing. You will almost always need a kds to odb2 adapter so you can clear the codes after you hook it back into your bike and then your golden

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
If you think the zx10r is bad about ride by wire, I briefly owned a 17 r1...fucking hated riding the damn thing under 30 mph especially if it was any kind of bumpy road cause of the ride by wire shit

·
Registered
18 zx10r
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went for a ride today and stalled again. I really need to remap that.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Race ECU based ETV map is pretty much meant to be changed. I wouldn't look at it as the target. Graves throttle tube is meant for track application and won't help with this at all. Flash and de-restrict. ETV, you can improve it through the maps. You can try going 1:1 (% grip twist : % throttle body opening) and then scaling it down if you feel it's too much. My preference is to have 50% (lowest) throttle body opening at initial twist and then up to 100% by the time I'm at around 30% grip twist--that race application only.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts