Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, this was going to be a more thorough review, but after typing 20 minutes, internet explorer shut down =(

Anyway, exhaust was a steal from www.motorcycle-superstore.com for $249 shipped with a $20 coupon code that is good for a few more days in July.

Free shipping over $75.00 orders.
There's a coupon code of $5 off for orders of $100 or more (C409CTLG5)
For orders over $200, there's $20 off. (c409CTLG20)

This exhaust does not replace the Boom-Box, but does presumably work with the Akra link pipe. The gasket from the OEM resonator came right out when I changed my slip-on, so you can re-use it when the time comes.

With the boom box in place still, this exhaust although quite short and small in diameter, does a great job at keep noise to a sane level. I shouldn't have to push my bike away when leaving in early mornig to start it down the street. Guess the cat and boom box do a good job at helping to quiet things down. Exhaust weight is only around 2-2.5 lbs, oem canister with cables attached for exhaust valve weighs 8.5 lbs.

ANyway, there was a lot of neg comments about Hotbodies that I've found on this forum. But as far as this exhaust goes, and for the price, I LOVE IT! The carbon fiber has a lower sheen, not a cheesy high gloss look. The metal has that cool unfinished/no need to polish racing look. Install was a snap. I'll try to get sound clips up here in a day or two. For now, here's some pics.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i like that pipe, looks good on your bike too

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
for the price, id sport it! curious on dyno numbers, im guessing typical the ball park of 5hp. as for hotbodies, lets just say im surprised the pipe fit on your bike from the numerious complaints ive heard about their stuff in the past.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
looks good, i'm curious about the LOR system which removes the boombox. Wonder what a system like that + a custom tune will net the same as a full akro + custom tune, any ideas?

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
looks good, i'm curious about the LOR system which removes the boombox. Wonder what a system like that + a custom tune will net the same as a full akro + custom tune, any ideas?
good point and considering the bracket mod that allows the mid fairing to be installed is a major pro

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I'm keen on the Akra mid-pipe fitting the OEM heat shield paneling/bodywork, vs having to rig my own. With the Akra, total cost of exhaust is only $400 =)

That, ans I suppose I can add/subtract the boom box as volume needs change.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I had all intentions of putting the Hotbodies MGP Growler on my 08' 10R when I got it but then I found the Micron GP Sidewinder from Brad at Superbike Supply on closeout for $205 shipped. I love the looks of the Hotbodies Growler and prefer the looks of a slip-on that keeps the boombox with cover. The LOR makes the bike look like somethings missing and it's because THERE IS!!! www.sportbiketrackgear.com has these for $269.99 and free shipping but with that coupon code that is a great deal. Nice find and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually really dug your micron, and called Brad when I got my bike. He said Micron was blowing those out cause they went out of business and he couldn't get them anymore. But yeah, you got a steal on yours.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I saw a guy about two months ago with this exhaust on his 08, he just had a mid-pipe made for it off of the headers to the can and it cost him $20 he said so he paid all together $300 even for it and it was just as good as my level one, really his was just a hair shorter so it was a little deeper

·
Registered
208 Posts
so do they make one for a 05 it seems like bullshit that nobody makes one for a 04 05 My motor builder says that the stock exhaust is enough but get a good slip on muffler then he will tune it to that, but i cant find one ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

http://www.metric-cycles.com/

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=14012&FS=Drag
600 SUPERSPORT

Tulsa, OK rider Traci Farr drives a good long way to get to an AMA/Prostar event. This year she figured the western swing was worth a shot and it paid off. The Farr Cycle sponsored Suzuki GSXR 600 took her to her first PROSTAR victory and established the west coast ET record at 10.547.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
ZX10Hef you could just buy it, and go get a stainless steel mid-pipe made for it, may cost you about 20-30 dollars...then a slip on made for a 3rd gen would now fit a 1st gen!!! Quick fix!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
A quick follow up. Took it for a 15 mile or so spin late yesterday afternoon. Engine def feels like it has more pep. Which goes along with what all the slip ons reveal on the dyno chart without a tune. That "exhaust butterfly" or "powervalve" is really there for noise reasons, not for power/exhaust tuning. For a guy like me who walks a fine line between liking to hear his exhaust, and being considerate of others, this pipe is still a bit too quiet for my tastes. Makes me VERY glad I didn't go with an Akra or Yosh R-77 or something that has a large canister. When paired with the link-pipe later on, hopefully the Hotbodies Growelr isn't too loud. Back to power gains. A quick check of any of the sites like Yosh's or Akra's will show that there are big gains in torque way down low around the 2500-4200RPM range especially. This comes in quite handy when accelerating from a stop light/sign. Everywhere else in the RPM pange there are decent HP gains. There are other very noteable gains on the charts with respect to adding a link pipe.

I've posted this in other threads before, but it bears repeating. Here's a link to the Akra site with the dyno chart of just a slip-on. And then a dyno of the slip on with link pipe. THey actually look very similar, but the difference between 6-8500 RPM is significant. Enough to make me want to spend the extra $$$. If it's too loud, I could always take it off. But you know I wouldn't do that =)

http://www.akrapovic.com/motorcycle-exhaust/products/kawasaki/model/zx-10r-2008/slip-on-88/

http://www.akrapovic.com/motorcycle-exhaust/products/kawasaki/model/zx-10r-2008/slip-on-89/

Open these links in separate tabs and toggle back and forth. From about 5800RPM-8800RPM you can see what the Akra link-pipe/slip -on adds over the Akra slip-on only with the boom-box still in place. And that is really a great place to have additional power. On the freeway in 6th, with a gearing change like I have, that's about cruising speed at 70-75mph. So, when cracking open the throttle to pass from 70-90 mph where this link pipe really helps, well to me it looks like it'd be awesome! At 6800RPM is probably where the gains are the fattest with the link pipe over the BB. About a 4-5lb ft of tq, and 4 hp gain at 6800RPM.

I have to assume that without notation anywhere on the chart, that these dyno charts are without a 'tune' via a pc3 or pc5 or whatever. A proper tune will probably sweeten things up even more, but from everything I've read, the bike with a slip/link pipe is still running within an acceptable a/f ratio range.

As a sidenote, I actually haven't actually thrown on my 43t rear sprocket yet. The whole reason I'm going for gearing changes was because of having to slip the clutch too much at launch. Now with the new exhaust, and already having the 16T frt, X-TRE...things are quite acceptable. Worried that going up another 2 to 43T in the rear now, especially with a link pipe adding more meat in the middle of the powerband, that my bike may become too wheelie prone in 2nd gear. Right now(before the slip-on), at least I can hang over the front and keep the bike from coming up more than 6 inches or so by the time I'm at the top of second gear. Worried that with the slip-on, link pipe, 43t rear...that by around 9-9500RPM, my front tire will be more violently rising off the ground causing me to have to short shift out of 2nd gear. But, I'll try it anyway I suppose since it was cheap. I used to be a wheelie guy. And, I know that the higher gear you can start a wheelie in, the safer things are with a less touchy throttle. Although a quick test yesterday clutched the bike up ok in 3rd, but it still requires a bit more clutch than I'd like to use. The Link-Pipe and gear change should remedy that.

Thanks for listening everybody.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I actually really dug your micron, and called Brad when I got my bike. He said Micron was blowing those out cause they went out of business and he couldn't get them anymore. But yeah, you got a steal on yours.
Yeah not to hijack the thread but I'm very glad I went with the Micron GP Sidewinder, it sounds amazing without being excessively loud and flows nice with the bikes lines. $205 shipped for a $650 slipon was definitely a steal in my book!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just ordered the Akra link pipe and am going to mate it to the hotbodies MGP growler slip-on. Mary from superbike supply said that she could not get the graphite gasket for it, so I'll just deal with that whenever. The OEM one may fit/work. Regardless. I'll be letting everyone know how it turns out in a few days.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have the hotbodies exhaust and I must say it's been performing really well...I have heard all the negative comments and most of their stuff is junk...but not this exhaust.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just ordered the Akra link pipe and am going to mate it to the hotbodies MGP growler slip-on. Mary from superbike supply said that she could not get the graphite gasket for it, so I'll just deal with that whenever. The OEM one may fit/work. Regardless. I'll be letting everyone know how it turns out in a few days.
Did you ever get the link pipe? If so, how did it go? I'm thinking about doing the same.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
yes, i did get it. It was too loud, and not a very good sounding loud to me, so I took it off and sold it the next day. A bit raspy, and exhaust note sounded like it needed a tune. It pops a lot with just the slip-on but the boom box does a great job of quieting things down in that area. I still feel like the bike could use a tune even with just the slip on. It sounds a bit hollow. Kind of hard to explain, but I can just tell. The former motorcycle mechanic in me that is. But, it's close enough, and I'm not gonna buy a PC yet. BTW, the link pipe was 2 lbs, the boom box is only around or a hair over 5 lbs, so you're only saving 3 lbs with the link pipe...and the weight is all down low on the bike between the wheels, so I wouldn't use that as rationale for the swap. Dyno charts on Akra's site do show an improvement with the link pipe however.

My advice if anyone is going to run a link pipe is to get a full size canister like the Yosh R-77 or equivalent. The MGP growler is too short to signifigantly reduce the sound IMO. I had pity on my neighbors and myself as it did drone. It moved the exhaust to the forefront of my mind whenever I was riding. If it sounded good, that would almost be ok, but it didn't =(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts