Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off - I know there are a lot if threads about this topic so don’t hammer me about using the search feature; I did!

With stock rearsets and standard shift pattern, the clamp going into the transmission was in the 12 o'clock position, with the bike in neutral. I installed Vortex rearsets and also wanted to change to the reverse shift pattern. I flipped the clamp going to the transmission to the 6 o'clock position (bike in neutral), which from what I have read will reverse the shift pattern. I also notched the lower faring with a dremel tool. I have to lift on the shift pedal to get the bike in first, the way it should be with this setup. When I press down on the shift linkage the transmission does not want to go into second. If it does shift at all it goes into neutral or third. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

FYI: Unfortunately it is raining outside and I am not taking my bike out. I "rocked" the bike back and forth to get it to shift and I am experiencing a problem.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
The shift rod should be at 90 degrees to the small lever so you have the same movement to and fro.

Try moving the lever a couple of splines anti clockwise.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Do a search, lol just kidding

try what he said above...you have it close to working

·
Registered
439 Posts
i know you said it will go to third; not sure on other gens, but on the 08 you cant go into second while sitting still. it goes straight to neutral. maybe try it going slow down your street :dontknow:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,869 Posts
All Kawasaki sportbikes manufactured since the late '80s have a Positive Neutral Finder (PNF) that will not allow the xmission to engage the higher gears (2nd thru 5th) unless the tranny is moving. If you're attempting to do this with the bike stopped, it should not be possible. From the pics, you did the conversion OK and there's nothing there alone that would cause this problem to happen.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shift rod should be at 90 degrees to the small lever so you have the same movement to and fro.

Try moving the lever a couple of splines anti clockwise.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks to everyone for their input! I will not be able to take the bike out for a few days. I will post what's up then.

·
Registered
238 Posts
SORRY OFF TOPIC!!

EDOUBLE - I have the same racerailz and am about to install. Throw up a couple pics/advice of them babies would ya!!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SORRY OFF TOPIC!!

EDOUBLE - I have the same racerailz and am about to install. Throw up a couple pics/advice of them babies would ya!!
Tools:
1. Laser pointer (I bought one at a pet store)
2. Hole saw I used 1-1/16" (I think)

Do one side at a time! Have bike on front and rear stand, which ensures that bike, is somewhat level.

Clutch side
1. Remove lower and side fairing
2. Mount your laser pointer to something sturdy and up high enough that it is level with the engine-mounting bolt. I made up a little jig that helped me to adjust the pointer once I had it at the correct height.
3. Point the laser at the center of the top engine mount bolt. Make sure the pointer is level in all directions!
4. Remove the engine mount bolt
5. Replace all fairings
6. Use a fine tip marker to mark the spot on the fairing where the laser pointer is pointing.
7. Drill the hole

Brake side
1. Repeat step 1
2. Remove all the bolts that hold the coolant reservoir
3. Repeat step 1-5 as stated above
4. When replacing the fairings you have to jiggle the coolant bottle into a position that will enable you to drill the hole but not into the coolant bottle. FYI - the coolant bottle will not be held into place by bolts only pinched in between the fairing and the frame.
5. Repeat steps 6 and 7

Sorry I didn’t take any install pics!!!!!!!!! :badteeth:

Laser pointer jig I machined:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Kick A! Thats alllll the info I needed, much appreciated DUB!

How you like em anyhow? Any clearance issue with your knees and what?? Im 6'6" so im hopin' I dont run into any...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
First off - I know there are a lot if threads about this topic so don’t hammer me about using the search feature; I did!

With stock rearsets and standard shift pattern, the clamp going into the transmission was in the 12 o'clock position, with the bike in neutral. I installed Vortex rearsets and also wanted to change to the reverse shift pattern. I flipped the clamp going to the transmission to the 6 o'clock position (bike in neutral), which from what I have read will reverse the shift pattern. I also notched the lower faring with a dremel tool. I have to lift on the shift pedal to get the bike in first, the way it should be with this setup. When I press down on the shift linkage the transmission does not want to go into second. If it does shift at all it goes into neutral or third. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

FYI: Unfortunately it is raining outside and I am not taking my bike out. I "rocked" the bike back and forth to get it to shift and I am experiencing a problem.

hey edouble heads up your vortex plates are upsidedown

·
Registered
238 Posts
AVDIGIGEEK - I have the same rearsets and they come packaged separately (Clutch side/Brake side) and theres no way to mount them the way you're thinkn they should go... Im pretty sure we both installed them correctly...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
AVDIGIGEEK - I have the same rearsets and they come packaged separately (Clutch side/Brake side) and theres no way to mount them the way you're thinkn they should go... Im pretty sure we both installed them correctly...
I've had mutliple sets of vortex and they never mounted up that way.
looks like they should be swaped right for left ?
The point of adjustable rearesets is to go up and back right.
Not picking on ya just offering some unwanted assistance.

Ps I just did the GP shift and hope to try it out this weekend...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmmmm... Well thats how they came packaged and how they said to install them in the instructions... Theyre workn just fine for me...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

hmmm......I actually pondered over this for about a half hour before I installed the rearsets. I put the rearsets together on my kitchen counter top and came to the conclusion that this is the only way they will mount. I also searched the gallery in this forum and noticed that for 04-05's the plates are more upward and for 06-07 the plates are more downward.

other members pics I found in the gallery:

04--05
http://zx-10r.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=1489

06-07
http://zx-10r.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=3332

:dontknow::dontknow: Maybe a select few of us are having brain farts when we installed our rearsets:dontknow::dontknow: I am taking them off tomorrow to investigate further.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
if it still raining and you have a rear stand. Stand it up, and run thru the gears with the engine running. If it falls off the stand while in gear and engine running, Nowt to do with me.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts