Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to rig this up w/ the stock stuff. I'm not ready to throw the dough out for rearsets yet and I would love to do a reverse pattern. Looks like it might take a little figurin'.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Easy. Flip the arm on the shift-shaft, and notch the lower fairing for clearance. Some guys have said that they are able to do it without notching the fairing, but it seems to require a funky angle on the arm. Either way, very easy on this bike.

·
Registered
583 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Easy. Flip the arm on the shift-shaft, and notch the lower fairing for clearance. Some guys have said that they are able to do it without notching the fairing, but it seems to require a funky angle on the arm. Either way, very easy on this bike.
:thumbsup: I did this and love it~go for it.. :wink:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yea no problem. But when i installed rearsets the throw is so short now i barely find neutral. I love it. It changes gears soooo quick..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I flipped the arm at the same time I went to Vortex rearsets. Required notching the fairing -- no big deal! I don't have any problems with finding neutral. After 20+ years riding, I was shocked at the ease of changing over. I'll never go back!

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
:+1: Quick and easy, and works very well. Its nice that Kawasaki's and Suzukis can still be flipped without an extra linkage or new rear sets.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Minor threadjack, but related: What do you guys that ride dirt bikes do with the shifting if you're used to GP-shift on the street bikes? Do you just have to remember which bike you're on? Can't see any easy way to convert a dirt bike to GP-shift...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Interesting you mention that. Yea, when I switch bikes I gotta remember to shift conventionally. I'll admit, I've upshifted when I thought I was downshifting a few times and vice versa, this usually results in an audible curse word and a slap on the helmet! Still worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sounds like a pretty simple mod and easy to switch back if I don't like it. Maybe when I get my bike fixed I"ll try it out for a bit.

·
Registered
271 Posts
it really comes handy. Guess all manufactures now goes on this universal patern. When you turn it round you really see how it should be. Before corner when you downshifting is no problem get your feet under gear lever and d/shift. You arre upright more or less so feet goes easy under gear lever. When exiting corner you are still leaning so its hard to get your feet under gear lever. Its so easy to just stomp on lever to go up gear. On track this is even more understandable.
And you can get use to really quick.
from all motogp riders i think only one or two still uses standard gear pattern. One is Biaggi so guess that why he is so bad at it...........

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
NATOR said:
Interesting you mention that. Yea, when I switch bikes I gotta remember to shift conventionally. I'll admit, I've upshifted when I thought I was downshifting a few times and vice versa, this usually results in an audible curse word and a slap on the helmet! Still worth it to me.
Yeah, I've been thinking about this as I've ridden nothing but reverse pattern for about 4 years. I'm planning on buying a few dirt bikes this winter for myself and my sons (now that they're both old enough AND interested enough) and getting back into the dirt after about a 10 year break.

As I've been shopping for the dirt bikes, I started to realize that the reverse shift experience may cause me some problems as it appears impossible or at least difficult to convert the off-road two-wheelers. Guess I'll just have to really focus on the shifting again. Pisser.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Also, ive noticed that if you go back and forth between standard and reverse a few times, you will be able to ride either when needed.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Ara said:
Also, ive noticed that if you go back and forth between standard and reverse a few times, you will be able to ride either when needed.
:cool: Glad to hear that. Guess that's the solution -- learn to adapt.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
thats awesome but where is the shifter in terms of your foot position in say going into 6th gear?? any pics of the stock rearsets in the reverse positions in the different gears?

·
Registered
271 Posts
05ZixxR said:
thats awesome but where is the shifter in terms of your foot position in say going into 6th gear?? any pics of the stock rearsets in the reverse positions in the different gears?
why there would be any diff. position in reverse? Its all the same just instead goin up you go down with ya foot........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts