Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought an AiM solo 2 DL for my track days so I can look at my data to see what I am doing well when I'm going fast, and more importantly see what I'm doing wrong when I'm not.

Anyway, I knew the wheel speed data, along with secondary throttle plates and MORE is on the CAN bus from my experience with Woolich Racing.

So not to be defeated, I created a CAN bus sniffer out of my Raspberry Pi. (PiCAN hat added to Raspberry Pi).

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic component

Cable tied to a battery pack so it's completely wireless, I can connect to it remotely from my laptop to probe live data and trigger data logging:
Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Electronic component

The fine probes allow me to tap off the CAN bus on the back of the Woolich box, or the Kawasaki Diagnostic Connector:
Hood Green Yellow Cable Electrical wiring

Below is a screen shot of my very first piece of can bus data logged using his sniffer:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

Using the above approach I have now got a whole bunch of the CAN ID's and data.
The following was already logged by AiM by default, but at least I have the CAN_ID's etc for it myself now:
RPM
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
Gear
Clutch
Engine Coolant Temp
Intake Air Temp

By creating my custom can bus protocolI can see:
  1. Front Wheel Speed
  2. Rear Wheel Speed
  3. TPS_Rate (Rate of throttle opening/closing, likely used by TC.)
  4. Secondary Throttle Plate Position. (Can use it to see where TC limits power?)
  5. What I am calling "free wheel", or "no-drive.", it indicates when in either neutral or clutch pulled in.
  6. Some kind of counter that counts up based on RPM, higher RPM = faster count, lower RPM = slower count. Does not count at idle.

There is still more data, some with more activity than others. I may add AIM logging to this "unknown" data to try work out what it is later. Iv'e not looked for static data like "power mode" "tc_mode" etc...

Using the above I have started to create a custom CAN driver/protocol for the Solo2 DL and below is a couple of examples of data being logged/displayed:

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Well, you don't see that level of ingenuity every day. That's pretty impressive if I do say so myself. Picking up the serial information is the easy part. It's decoding the data stream within it that can be the bigger hurdle. Seems like you got that figured out though and that's pretty cool. Hat's off to you for going down that path and getting something to work for you. Very nice! (y)

Reactions: trebor27

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir! It’s not been too hard to be honest, finding the time away from kids & wife, and data mining the 14 MB of data I dumped is the hardest bit. I’m still fine tuning gains and offsets, but my engineering background does help though. 👍

Next up will be my Superduke. In theory I can do any CAN bus with this.

Rob

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
data mining the 14 MB of data I dumped is the hardest bit.
That's exactly what I would've expected to be the hardest part as well. There's so much data in the stream to just find the correct address blocks that you're trying to look at and then figure out what the portion in there that you want. Without an Interface Control Document of some sort, it would be very tedious.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great job.

Problem would be to have someone's data to compare and learn.

No?
I couldn’t disagree more strongly, but I’m at geeky engineer and a little data driven myself anyway…

I compare my own laps, some data is valuable even without comparing with someone else.

If I want to compare to someone else I can compare Nolan Lamkins data from Laguna Seca to mine, he has made it available for free to download.
I’ve tried comparing, but he is a pro racer, there is minimal benefit to me comparing, he stomps all over me….. EVERYWHERE! (I match him for top speed on 1 part of the track for a brief moment, but he IS on a 600!) :eek:

But just my own data I can look at/compare lap-to-lap:
Throttle position: I’m only getting to 80+%, I clearly need to go find some bigger balls.
Brake vs Throttle: I can see braking and throttle combined to find where I am coasting.
Corner speed: I can compare my speed in corners between laps, sometimes I am carrying more speed in a corner than even my best lap time for example.
Compare my lines: Look for consistency in lines and also compare my fast speed through a corner with my other laps.
Compare to video: I can reference my on-board video to see when I’m slow, if it’s just traffic or if it’s just me and my mental block.

The list goes on and on. Why do I need to compare to someone else when I am my own best comparison!?

Finally, just for a bit of fun, I can convert my data to a telemetry overlay. FYI vertical bar on the far left is throttle position, 0-100%…

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know the CAN message output for total distance travelled, i.e. your bike’s mileage?

My 2011 gen 4 had 2000 miles on it when the kit ECU was fitted, and I want to add the Odometer reading to a screen on my CDL3 display and just need to know which CAN message to show via the MoTeC software.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure it's in the main CAN data, I think it's stored/calculated in the dash.

Wild speculation on my part, but I've not found anything that appears to be mileage yet. But I've yet to start my year of track days. Once I do I might have a better idea as I'm logging as much as possible. But I wouldn't hold out much hope of finding mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts