Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my chain and sprockets. I purchased the bike with -1/+3 sprockets. I love the low end power right now but I really don't love the 25mpg I'm getting nor the 7k I'm at in 6th gear at 80mph. Has anyone out there gone from a -1/+3 setup back to stock? Maybe a better option for me would be to get a -1 front and stock rear? How much of a difference would the gearing swap make in MPG's? I ride it a lot and a significant MPG increase would trump some loss of performance. Trading it in for a scooter that gets 80mpg is not an option :headshake but I'd like to have the best of both worlds if possible.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
properly tuned my zx10r was getting 42ish mpg with 16/40 gearing.
which Gen is this on?

Austin, my drag sprocket is 44 (+5) tooth, which puts me slightly more acceleration biased than -1/+2 gearing. Ive ridden with it on the street for quite some miles too. Its cool. The only difference that really bugged me when I put the 39 back on the rear, and Im stock gear for the street, was it was a little more difficult to get the bike to start rolling in 1st gear. Other than that, its very easy to live with gear IMO. Its still a very fast bike and very lively on the street. If you just kick it down a gear, its just fine on the street. On the highway going 80 indicated Im at around 5100RPM, more or less.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
properly tuned my zx10r was getting 42ish mpg with 16/40 gearing.
Damn, that'd be very nice. I have a powercommander, maybe a little tweaking is required? I don't see how 2 rear teeth would make that big of a difference between our bikes. Also has a full system, velocity stacks, air filter etc. You had a speedohealer right? How'd you get better than stock mileage with lower gearing?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which Gen is this on?

Austin, my drag sprocket is 44 (+5) tooth, which puts me slightly more acceleration biased than -1/+2 gearing. Ive ridden with it on the street for quite some miles too. Its cool. The only difference that really bugged me when I put the 39 back on the rear, and Im stock gear for the street, was it was a little more difficult to get the bike to start rolling in 1st gear. Other than that, its very easy to live with gear IMO. Its still a very fast bike and very lively on the street. If you just kick it down a gear, its just fine on the street. On the highway going 80 indicated Im at around 5100RPM, more or less.
Yeah you putting like 3 gallons in your bike after going 120 miles is what got me thinking about swapping back to stock.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
keep in mind though, mine was about 44 mpg on the freeway only. aerodynamics also play into it. Your body is like a giant air brake on these things and does decrease mileage. Tuning can definently help with your MPG though. When was the last time you changed or cleaned/oiled the air filter in the bike?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
keep in mind though, mine was about 44 mpg on the freeway only. aerodynamics also play into it. Your body is like a giant air brake on these things and does decrease mileage. Tuning can definently help with your MPG though. When was the last time you changed or cleaned/oiled the air filter in the bike?
True that, I do feel like I'm a sail on the bike when I'm on the fwy. I've never cleaned the airfilter but it's a K&N and only has 5-6000 miles on it. I'll check it though.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I do mine about every oil change. I dont mind the work getting into the tank and all either though.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
5k miles on an aftermarket airfilter probably does need cleaning. I began to clean mine evry oil change too. Takes less time to clean/oil airfilter than to change oil. My filter,pipercross, gets filthy if I wait 5k miles. Pretty much clogged at the ram air tube portions of filter. PiperX uses a TACKY oil on filter since it is a foam filter. Has large poors at the front of filter and then has a second stage on inside which is TINY little poors which doesn't get oiled. Only the ram air duct side gets oiled on mine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Monday I will be pulling out the filter and takin a look!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 10 of 10 Posts