Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sharing this little project I had done over the weekend.

I am by no means a professional and I had it all done within a saturday afternoon.

here are the improvements:

low beam stock:

high beam stock:

low beam retrofit:

high beam retrofit:

the difference is night and day! and i kept my stock adjusters so i can aim the projectors.

heres a list of the items i used in the retrofit:
morimotos H1 bixenon retrofit projectors
drill with 1" hole saw
55w HID slim digital AC ballasts
40A relay from ultrahid.com
soldering iron
18gauge wire from radioshack
patience

heres a pic of the projectors i used:

they fit into the stock housing without any modifications at all its a retrofit dream come true.

heres how to do it / i did it:
first step get the headlights off. remove all fairings (not explaining this except for one part)
this headless screw

needs to be unscrewed with a vice grip or other such tool. idk what kawasaki was thinking when they made that bolt... anywho after you get all the fairings removed (left and right upper and lowers and windscreen) remove the headlight.

you should have this... hopefully lol

once you have the headlight off the fun stuff begins.

first thing you need to do is to get into the headlight housing. to do this you need to place it in an oven. i placed it in my oven at 265F and let it bake for 6 minutes. once this is done you need to pry open the housing. there is a black silicone that should be pliable enough to seperate the housing. after that you should be left with this.

there are covers for the bulbs in the housing that control how much light is released. you need to remove these. to do so there are clips that these covers are held on by by the bulbs. pry these clips open and pull them out. your headlight housing should now look like this.

i decided i wanted to paint the reflectors and the projector shroud that came with the kit matte black

now we can begin installing the headlights. this step is surprisingly very easy. the kit comes with everything you'd need to install them. first take off the stock covers of the headlights that cover the bulb. then place the shrouds on the projectors. there are 4 screws that come with them and they line up with the holes on the projectors. i forgot to take a picture of this step but its pretty self explanatory.

next we will use the mounting hardware that came with the kit.

the install goes from left to right in the pic. the projector comes with the last piece (far right in the pic) installed already so remove that first. now you can place the white rubber washer onto the projector. then it is placed into the projector housing. there is a hole right next to the hole where the projector mounts in to, place the wiring for high beams from the projector through that hole. once the projector is through the hole, the h7 adapter plate is placed on top like so. will look like this from behind.

after the h7 adapter plate is on then you screw on the nut. screw this as tight as possible. this is what is holding your projector in place. then place the last mount with the 3 screws on. the last piece is what holds your bulb in place. there is a metal bracket that replaces the stock bulb bracket that i forgot to picture that is also included. you can place your bulb in now and put the metal bracket on. yours should look like this once all done.

heres a frontal view

now we can put the headlight housing back to one piece. put the whole housing back into the oven again 265F 6minutes. just mush them back together and make sure it clips back on together.

finished product:

now you need to drill holes in the stock bulb covers to allow the hid and highbeam wiring to go through it.

now comes the hardest part... the wiring.
for this im going to use the wiring diagram provided with the relay i purchased from ultrahid but i editted to what i actually received because it did not match the picture and it didnt work in its stock form.

heres what it says you receive:

heres what i received:

the projectors came with hid male plugs so i clipped off the male plug that was missing the ground and used the male plug that came with the projector. i then extended the ground wire that came with the relay so it could actually reach the battery and made a ground wire from the male plug i took from the retrofit package connecting to the ground wire that came with the relay. it looks something like this after i modified it:

heres what your wiring should look like once complete:

final step is tucking away the wires and your retrofit is completely installed! :thumbsup:

i should add that the relay is so you do not fry your stock wiring harness. it bypasses the stock wiring and still allows the headlights to turn on only when the ignition is started

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Good work! I left the reflectors in when doing my retrofit, but after seeing yours I wish I hadn't.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
damn the Gen 1 OEM lights are that bad?? Mine look like the upgraded version w/out the hids..

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
great write up man. love the results both looks wise and functionality. im gonna do this myself so on the retrofit website you used this kit? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227 its the bi-xenon morimoto mini stage III kit (H1) right?? Also H7 adapter plate, which ballasts and bulbs did you use and which wiring harness? im guessing h7 harness?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
great write up man. love the results both looks wise and functionality. im gonna do this myself so on the retrofit website you used this kit? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227 its the bi-xenon morimoto mini stage III kit (H1) right?? Also H7 adapter plate, which ballasts and bulbs did you use and which wiring harness? im guessing h7 harness?
i actually bought them off ebay its a lot cheaper (i got it for 105 shipped i believe) i also got my hid ballast off ebay (VVME Slim HID AC ballasts) and make sure to get h1 bulbs. as for the relay i got that from ultrahid.com because their relay requires power from stock headlight relay for the bulbs to get power (ie hid only powers on when bike is started) but i had to do some splicing to their harness to get it to work the way it was pictured. who knows maybe they just screwed up the harness they sent me idk. just make sure you get an h7 relay harness.

edit: im pretty sure all the harnesses are the same after looking at it actually lol just get the h7 to be sure

·
Registered
58 Posts
i actually bought them off ebay its a lot cheaper (i got it for 105 shipped i believe) i also got my hid ballast off ebay (VVME Slim HID AC ballasts) and make sure to get h1 bulbs. as for the relay i got that from ultrahid.com because their relay requires power from stock headlight relay for the bulbs to get power (ie hid only powers on when bike is started) but i had to do some splicing to their harness to get it to work the way it was pictured. who knows maybe they just screwed up the harness they sent me idk. just make sure you get an h7 relay harness.

edit: im pretty sure all the harnesses are the same after looking at it actually lol just get the h7 to be sure
hi, do u possible have links to the projector lens on the ebay page
and also the slim HID ballasts u got?

thank you.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Here's a Bi_xenon unit I built for the race glass on my ZX12R Project. I dumped the ultra heavy headlight housing at 10 pounds plus and made every piece to this including the curved lens that was a learning experience to say the least. The mounting bracket is also trick as hell and weighs nothing. It's 55watt Bi-Xenon HID ..

I would show the mounting bracket but the last trick of the minute parts I made for a 12R was stolen by a piece of trash copied and sold several copies of my designed part. I'll not educate that loser yet again on how to make anything. Getting ideas from someone's designs is fine but posting that you are having someone's part that you call by name 100% duplicated and taking orders for it is something a dirt bag would do. If anyone wants trick stuff made that don't exist anywhere in the world I can be hired.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
projectors http://www.ebay.com/itm/260956326682?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3901wt_1185

i sent offer of $95 and he accepted no problem you could try lower
This company The Retrofit Source is the company I purchased all my parts from. They are a great source for this stuff and sell some really quality stuff. I used an OEM Infiniti G35 B-Xenon housing because OEM spec stuff on high end Japanese cars is high quality and getting replacement stuff is always there. Their HID kit is TOP QUALITY ALL THE WAY ! NO cheap junk and very high end plugs etc. They also sell some high quality very clear replacement lens that make a huge difference in the light the projector puts out. I seen a 100 WATT ballast on their site the other day!! I'm thinking it would be hard on the on coming traffic LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm bringing a really old thread back to life here, but I was just wondering if people are using the full sized 3" projectors or the mini ones now?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts