Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who dont know I have been in the Air Force for 22 yrs. I was original suppose to go to Kuwait for 120 days. 2 days before I was suppose to leave it got changed to Baghdad Iraq for 179 days. I was OK with that. I was to leave tomorrow for combat skills training and come back here for 2 weeks then off to Iraq. I get a call at 830am and they say I am not coming back for 2 weeks. I am going straight over to Iraq after training.

I tell them I got household goods that I need to put in storage and there is not enough time in today to put my stuff in storage and my cars and bike in storage.

Bottom Line I been thinking about just putting in my paper work and retire. In about a month the promotion list comes out and thats a promotion I really wanted and I am pretty sure I will be on the list.

I can not just up and leave my stuff when I was suppose to come back and store everything. Sorry It seems like I am rambling but I been thinking for almost 4 hours on this and I just got a call and things can not be change so I can take care of my personnal affairs.

I really want that promotion but I cant just leave my stuff. Its all my stuff I have and I call it my life. My supervisor is tying to talk me out of it and I told I am tired of being told side A of somethig and not side B. There were people who knew I was going 30 days before I knew and that pissed me off but I got over it.

I called my mom and dad and they say do what I think is best for me but they really dont want me to go.

I am about to call and say I am submitting my paper work to retire. I have been through alot of emotional changes since I was told I was deploying.

Thanks for letting me vent ZX-10R.net. The best motorcycle forum on the net.

ZX10X2

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would retire,and never look back.You have done your time.In 1961 at Ft.Jackson Sc.I caught disentery and nearly died.While in the base hospital they gave me a proctoscope.Sooooo I was scheduled for another on the day of my departure to see if I qualified for a 10% disability.I told my CO he could shove the dis.as no one was stretching my butt again.Then I missed Viet Nam and it made me feel safe to be through.Thank you for serving!Ride safe...Les

·
Registered
697 Posts
Is the stripe worth it? Are you willing to take on the service commitment for the promotion?

I've been running through this same type of scenario in my head since my son was born. I have just under 10 years left and got TSgt a few months back. I'm pretty sure my next base is going to be my last so I need to get my ducks in a row. I'm in a special duty and will have two CCAF degrees so SMSgt is do-able. I just dont know if it's worth it to plan to stay past 20.

I'd think hard about the promotion. Has it always been a goal? Is it for the money? Job security? Weigh your options and go with what feels right.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I asssume you are a E-7 if so that's a pretty good jump in pay to E-8 but if it were me I'd bail. That's the whole idea of making it to 20 and then everything after is gravy. That's my plan anyway. I'm at 14.5 years and have 2 years left on this overseas assignment. I plan to IPCOT for an additional 3 years here before going back to the states. Every year after will be just to continue to pad the retirement fund and if something I don't like happens :fu2: then it's time to go.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I must say after 2 dployments to iraq and one to afghan. I would go you just cant explain what you will do and see. I know its war but its also a great thing to see what is really happening on the ground there.

But hey you did your time so do as you please

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wow, that is a tough call indeed. If I was in your neck of the woods I'd try to get a possy together to help you out with getting things ready for storage but since I'm about 7000 kms away and in another country it's a bit difficult. All the best in your decision, I wish I was there to help out.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
It’s always tough to retire with that many years, I came up in the same situation where I could stay on longer and guaranteed a Promotion…..but I weighed what will make me happier as I put my time in to Retire.

I have to say the excuse of Household goods to retire is just that an excuse and nothing more than trying to play your cards with the Retirement against your Unit./Military to make you happy before you deploy. That’s how it usually starts when you contemplate Retirement. Meaning your getting older and want more control of your life :wink:

I would say your not ready for Retirement because of your excuse and your willingness to go in the first place IMO.

If you do Retire be warned the emotions will run high as you out process but think of it as starting a new transition into the Civilian life with different challenges…bottom line you will know in your gut when it’s time to hang it up.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Come on over and enjoy the desert with me!!

On a serious note, thats BS, you tell them for you to go they need to stick to the original plan or you can't go. Thats not looking out for your troops otherwise.

Trust me, there isn't shit going on here that can't wait 2 weeks

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:

After standing my ground and letting them know the situation I get the weekend to move and I leave Sunday night. I get a 4 day pass after combat skills but I have to pay for the trip back. Now at least I get to store my stuff my way and I will have a piece of mind. I hope I do not regret not retiring instead.

See ya in about 6 weeks RickRoush03.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Hope it all works out man!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
holla when you get here. The bx/px blows, bring some air fresheners but not the plug in kind.

Other than that have fun at CST!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
bounce, Bush(sorry shit head bush)is a dick face, i love my country but i have guns lots of them, and they would have to pull me the fuck out of my house and kill my ass before i join the service under a jack off........

·
Registered
84 Posts
Retire, retire, retire. I go on terminal leave this november and my cheif ask me to extend because they need more K-9 handlers over there and i've been twice(iraq/afghansitan) so far and i was like cheif are you crazy.

Do what's best for you and your family.

zx10x2;656170]For those who dont know I have been in the Air Force for 22 yrs. I was original suppose to go to Kuwait for 120 days. 2 days before I was suppose to leave it got changed to Baghdad Iraq for 179 days. I was OK with that. I was to leave tomorrow for combat skills training and come back here for 2 weeks then off to Iraq. I get a call at 830am and they say I am not coming back for 2 weeks. I am going straight over to Iraq after training.

I tell them I got household goods that I need to put in storage and there is not enough time in today to put my stuff in storage and my cars and bike in storage.

Bottom Line I been thinking about just putting in my paper work and retire. In about a month the promotion list comes out and thats a promotion I really wanted and I am pretty sure I will be on the list.

I can not just up and leave my stuff when I was suppose to come back and store everything. Sorry It seems like I am rambling but I been thinking for almost 4 hours on this and I just got a call and things can not be change so I can take care of my personnal affairs.

I really want that promotion but I cant just leave my stuff. Its all my stuff I have and I call it my life. My supervisor is tying to talk me out of it and I told I am tired of being told side A of somethig and not side B. There were people who knew I was going 30 days before I knew and that pissed me off but I got over it.

I called my mom and dad and they say do what I think is best for me but they really dont want me to go.

I am about to call and say I am submitting my paper work to retire. I have been through alot of emotional changes since I was told I was deploying.

Thanks for letting me vent ZX-10R.net. The best motorcycle forum on the net.

ZX10X2[/QUOTE]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts