Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my engine is torn down for trans work. Just now popped of the cams to look at the retainers. All eight intakes look like new. No signs of cracks. Exhausts also look new. I'm confident just buttoning it back up. What would you do? Engine has 10,000 miles. Kawi sold thousands of these and obviously they didn't all fail. Seven of the retainers have the same paint mark. One has no mark at all. Thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Well they are original retainers, what would i do? To be honest with the cases split for tranny work id go right ahead have the head off skim a little, throw in a thinner head gasket, pop all those valves out re cut the seats uprate the retainers and dial those cams in..........enjoy a lively bike. with better response and noise. But it depends what you want to do.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'd put some Gen3 retainers in there while I had the hood up. I've never had any fail, but plan to change my Gen2's when I manage to get in there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just looked at Kawasakipartshouse and they show the 2005 and 2007 retainer as 12009-0010. And the 2008 is 12009-0017. Is it the Gen2 parts I want or the Gen3?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aren't all the retainers they sell now supposed to be good? They're not still selling the original bad parts, right?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The g3 retainers are actually a few pence cheaper than the g1, they are a better design, the g1 retainers were uprated for warranty and recall before the g3 was designed, for me if i couldn't find 16 second hand g3 retainers i would buy 16 new....yes it adds up but your in there anyway. Aftermarket upgrades, ape - carpenter etc are about the same price for 16.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts