Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somehow my plastic got fogged by using some kind of non plastic product and it foggy. how hard is it to replace it and estimated cost?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
There's no clear plastic "over" the dash. It's part of the case itself as it's glued from underneath top part on the lip of it. It would have to effectively be cut out. Have you tried using a micro-polish on it to clean up the haze? That way work if it's just on the surface. A good polish with a dremel will do wonders.

You just have to get a new case for it and swap out the electronics. It's not terribly expensive. It's not something you can get from the Dealership because Kawi doesn't sell anything like that. You'd have to source an aftermarket case from China on eBay to do that. It's the only option other than buying a new or used instrument cluster.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Interesting never heard of micro polish....is that some kine of fine rubbing compound?
Yeah, effectively it's just a superfine rubbing compound. Basically a paint polish. It will cut the surface slightly and shine it. If the haze is superficial and hasn't been absorbed into the plastic at all, it may work for you. It's a fine cut though so it will take some effort and multiple passes to see how effective it is for that.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Here's a closer picture...look at the left hand bottom....
Hard to tell from the picture, but I'd certainly try using the polish to clean that up. It doesn't really look that severe which would imply it's just a surface discoloration. A good microfiber cloth, some micro-polish, and some time with the dremel and a polishing wheel will do that some good. If I was going to do that though, I'd take the instrument cluster off the bike to set it flat on a table or bench and do the whole thing at once.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
looks like they spilled some kind of solvent on the plastic...
I think michael is talking about the black area above. You can see the circular scratches all over that. That's the part that looks like an emery cloth was used.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah...that's just the reflection of the grain of the plastics...it looks like some kind of chemical that got on the face that marred it...ordered polish and dremel wheel from Amazon....thanks for your help...will see if that works.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Nah...that's just the reflection of the grain of the plastics...it looks like some kind of chemical that got on the face that marred it...ordered polish and dremel wheel from Amazon....thanks for your help...will see if that works.
That's good. Hopefully that will work.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That shit worked great!!!! Youse guys are awesome!!!! Mother's polish cleaned it right up....good enough...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
That shit worked great!!!! Youse guys are awesome!!!! Mother's polish cleaned it right up....good enough...
Great! Glad it worked out for you! Keep that stuff handy and you can polish the paint with it. Works good on the fuel tank. (y)

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
Old guy, do you over react much? You can read mph, really we don't need anything else. Crap, half the time we can't read anything except for the rpm color, which is all we really need. Bike really is no frills.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Old guy, do you over react much? You can read mph, really we don't need anything else. Crap, half the time we can't read anything except for the rpm color, which is all we really need. Bike really is no frills.
Meh. It's not about whether or not it's useful. It's scratched and can and should be fixed. It will improve the resale, it's easy to fix, and it's correct now. It would piss me off just knowing it was scratched like that. Keeping the bike in good physical condition and attention to detail improves the ride. The attention to detail also goes to show which riders focus on their riding skills. Goes both ways. Don't give a shit about your bike, you don't care enough to learn the skills needed to ride it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mte78

·
Registered
375 Posts

Mine was pretty bad too when I got the bike. I used this micro polish, it’s the same used to restore watches, and it worked great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Using 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to wet sand it then applying a clearcoat when dry would fix it permanently. Sometimes those micro polishes need to be reapplied in a few weeks. Used one on my headlights, lasted about a month. Did the wet sand and clear, no issues for the past 2 yrs.

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
Meh. It's not about whether or not it's useful. It's scratched and can and should be fixed. It will improve the resale, it's easy to fix, and it's correct now. It would piss me off just knowing it was scratched like that. Keeping the bike in good physical condition and attention to detail improves the ride. The attention to detail also goes to show which riders focus on their riding skills. Goes both ways. Don't give a shit about your bike, you don't care enough to learn the skills needed to ride it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sky, too much info about yourself. lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts