Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this on an 07 ZX10R? Do I really need the special tools the manual calls for or is there another way. I read somewhere that I can do thsi with 2 wrenches. Right/wrong? Please advise.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
YEs you need a fork spring compressor. You will do more damage then good without one. If it were a dirt bike then the two wrench method would work.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Good luck getting a dealer to do it. Local dealer doesn't even have the freakin tool! Then they want to charge an arm/leg. Suspension group that comes to track days will do it AND adjust my suspension after all of that....FOR LESS!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm looking for a serious suspension upgrade, but it looks like the only thing I can do with the stockers is the rear spring and valves all around. It says the stock forks come with 1.0 springs. Is that true?

·
Registered
609 Posts
???

YEs you need a fork spring compressor. You will do more damage then good without one. If it were a dirt bike then the two wrench method would work.
Are you sure? Just want to make sure this has been proven and not just somebody said so. I am about to put new springs in my bike. I've done a number of street and dirt bikes and never had an issue. I don't mind buying one if it is truly necessary since I will be in there every year or so. I remember reading somewhere that the springs on the ZX10 had extra preload or something, but figured I could still just grab the spring and pull it down enough to get a wrench in there.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I'm looking for a serious suspension upgrade, but it looks like the only thing I can do with the stockers is the rear spring and valves all around. It says the stock forks come with 1.0 springs. Is that true?
I could be wrong, but I believe they come with with a lighter spring. I talked with Ohlins and the 1.0 spring is for riders(w/gear) that are 225# and heavier (or total bike/rider/gear weight of 675# and up). I found this graph the other day and noticed it tended to support what I heard from Ohlins

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Are you sure? Just want to make sure this has been proven and not just somebody said so. I am about to put new springs in my bike. I've done a number of street and dirt bikes and never had an issue. I don't mind buying one if it is truly necessary since I will be in there every year or so. I remember reading somewhere that the springs on the ZX10 had extra preload or something, but figured I could still just grab the spring and pull it down enough to get a wrench in there.
The spring is to stiff to pull down by hand. Is this your first set of Inverted Street Bike Forks? Dirts bikes have really soft springs so yes you can push them down by hand like I stated before.Some bikes come with really soft springs and then yes you can but the 10R's have really stiff springs. You are more then willing to try it though but life is alot easier with the spring compressor. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Oh and yes I'm positive. Racetech springs, GR2 Gold Valves compression, and Gold Valves rebound. Did them myself 15K miles ago and no problems.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for the info. I hate taking things apart only to find out I don't have the right tools.

Any recommendations on what spring compressor to get? It looks like traxxion has a simple relatively inexpensive one.

I went without a seal driver for years. After getting one, I wished I had gotten one years before.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yea, the racetech looks nice, but more than I want to spend. Reviewing the service manual, it looks like it would be easy to build one like shown there. 2 threaded rods, a short round piece of alum with two holes drilled in it and some slight fabrication for the top piece. Maybe $30 in parts a little time.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Its pretty simple to make but I'm about time and convienent. For $125 I have a proven already assembled tool.

Oh and almost forgot if anyone plans to do any fork work on their own you definetely need a 43mm fork seal driver.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the OEM tools but how do you get the clamp (#57001-1626) to fit. I have followed the service manual but can't get the clamp to close. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Tread carefully with suspension mods on the 06-07 10Rs. By all means do the work yourself but you might be in for a surprise at the results. They're not the bike you can just apply the same ole sportbike settings to and get results. Look at all those old threads Dukester and other guys have commented in.

Essentially they like pretty stiff forks with a fair amount of compression and rebound and the rear spring needs to be reasonably stiff with quite a bit of pre-load to get the right sag but still allow it to move over the bumps. For example, I'm 85kg + gear and I'm running a 550lb/in (9.8kg/mm) spring in the back with 0.95kg/mm springs in the front and I could probably go stiffer at the front. This is ridden over *bumps* on good ole aussie roads. If it was at a track then you'de go up to a 600lb/in spring and probably 1.25kg/mm springs quite easily. I don't know what id is about these things but what the mind boggles at with regards to how stiff they are they just seem to soak it all up.

Do some research before you jump in and you'll see what I mean. That previous chart from Traxxion is way too soft for the 10R.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Help! Looking closer at the pics in the service manual, it seems as if the clamp (#57001-1626) is the wrong one. Can anyone verify this? If so, what is the right part number?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Comparing the picture in the manual with the drawing, it is definately a different part. Can someone please provide a correct part number?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts