Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since many folks have had fast turn signal flasher problems after replacing the stock signals I thought we needed a How-To in this forum. Maybe this will help the ones that don't know this easy fix; Here goes

First you will need to go to your local parts store (ie.autozone, napa or whatever is near you), pick up a EL12 flasher relay and some crimp-on connectors(female type, I used 14-16 gauge, 18-20 will also work)

As far as tools you will only need a 10mm socket, 4mm allen socket, ratchet and extension, a pair of electrical crimping pliers and some electrial tape.

Take your rear seat or cowl off, then remove the small plastic piece behind the seat, it's held by two 4mm allen screws, just lift up it slides out from under the seat.

Next remove the one bolt holding your seat on, it's a 10mm, the seat just lifts off.

The flasher relay is in the back of the area, it's a small black box with a rubber strap like thing on it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2

It would only let me load 5 pictures so here's the rest

Remove the old flasher relay and take out your wire cutters, clip both wires to the plug

Strip about 1/8" off of the wires and crimp your new connecters on,
your almost done

The new flasher has a X marked by the post for the positive side,on top it will say "must fuse X lead"
(this you plug the Brown/Yellow wire onto) it's the hot or + wire, comes from the fuse box

The other post has a L by it, this post you plug the orange wire onto, it's the - or negative, comes from the clip-on turn signal switch

I took the rubber clip thing off the old relay and used electrical tape to secure it to the new relay, then just slip it back over the post that secured the old relay in the same position.

Just put the seat and plastic piece back on the same way it came off and go ride

Just remember this is a constant rate relay so if a light bulb burns out your dash lights will still blink the same rate.

Check your bulbs every so often before a ride.

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I couldn't figure out how to seperate the words and pictures so they just got bunched up together, if someone here (EL-D, ysr50) wants to spread them out so it looks better feel free.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Here is the 10min parts list. With this setup you can revert back to the stock relay setup, because you are only tapping into the stock wires and removing the stock relay. Some people might want a better connection like soldering but I fiqured if I have to constantly check for bulbs out anyway then why not splice.

flasher

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
wow. A side benefit. I bet because your lights are flashing slower, your pulling less amps off of your alternator so there is less parasitic draw on the engine so new flasher=50 more hp. lol.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I don't know how EL-D did so many, it took me longer to resize all the pics and write it up than it took to replace the relay. Notice the 3 hrs between the two write-up, yea I about head butted the computer:BangHead: , right when I was almost done the friggen thing locked up and I lost the second writeup:angryfire , had to resize all the pics again :violent5: had to take a break and drink a beer :beer: I don't have the patience to deal with stubborn computers

·
Registered
424 Posts
great how to

don't forget simple load resistors also. They go in-line on the signals when you install them. You just need to remember to cross the connections in line from the left to right signal. You leave the signals hooked up as normal and the load balancer crosses over. Left positive to Right Negative and Right Positive to left negative.

http://www.fendereliminators.net/590171.html

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
K10, Are you saying use load resistors with the relay or just by themself?

If you replace the relay you don't need load resistors

·
Registered
424 Posts
Load resistors only

1rocket69 said:
K10, Are you saying use load resistors with the relay or just by themself?

If you replace the relay you don't need load resistors
You only need Load resistors. I didn't want to replace my stock flasher described above. I was worried I may have to return to stock if the lawman makes me. It was really simple to do when I wired the signals.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats what I thought you meant, that also in there confused me, not hard to do:lol:

BTW, it's a constant rate flasher, even if you went back to stock lights it still flashes the same

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
MAVRIK said:
I Believe It Does.....move It Move It Move It.....moderators Are Being A Little Slow

yeah...I believe it rates as a "how to" so will move it to that section.:wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.