Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my throttle cable snapped earlier today. I can't remember the last time I lubricated it so I'm sure that's why but anyway, I've ordered another cable. I've never installed one before but I know the gen 1 has some weird engineering and wanted to know what to expect? what to do? I've removed the throttle housing before but never even followed the cable to see where the other end leads.

Is it an easy task that I can do within 45min? Tools? etc.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
It's a piece of cake. The cable just connects to the throttle cam the same way it does to the grip. Once you have the parts stripped down to the TBs, just disconnect the cable from the cam. Then take the new cable and tape it tightly to the end of the old cable. Pull the old cable housing out and it will feed the new cable into place. Connect everything up, adjust the slack, and put the rest of the bike back together. The longest part of the jib is removing the tank and and airbox. Probably take an hour start to finish.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a piece of cake. The cable just connects to the throttle cam the same way it does to the grip. Once you have the parts stripped down to the TBs, just disconnect the cable from the cam. Then take the new cable and tape it tightly to the end of the old cable. Pull the old cable housing out and it will feed the new cable into place. Connect everything up, adjust the slack, and put the rest of the bike back together. The longest part of the jib is removing the tank and and airbox. Probably take an hour start to finish.
Do I have to remove the tank completely? or can it be done by just removing my damper and propping the tank up?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Do I have to remove the tank completely? or can it be done by just removing my damper and propping the tank up?

You're going to have to remove the airbox, so unless you can do that with the tank propped up (not likely), you're going to have to take it completely off.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
lol

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're going to have to remove the airbox, so unless you can do that with the tank propped up (not likely), you're going to have to take it completely off.
I've removed the airbox and I see where the cables go but my hands seem too big to work in that tiny space underneath the throttle bodies. Is there a how to on removing them? I've googled it and only get results on how to remove the secondary butterflies

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
I've removed the airbox and I see where the cables go but my hands seem too big to work in that tiny space underneath the throttle bodies. Is there a how to on removing them? I've googled it and only get results on how to remove the secondary butterflies
Yes, the TBs are very easy to remove. They are just clamped into the rubber intake runners below them. There should be 2 screw clamps that you need to loosen (not remove) that will allow you to pull the whole throttle body assembly up away from the engine. These bolts are accessed through holes in the frame. You use an allen key to loosen the clamps. Then just alternately pull up on the sides of the TB assembly - shimmy, wiggle, pull left, pull right, shimmy, wiggle, pull, repeat - until it comes free.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Here's a couple of pics.

The first one is the hole in the frame that you're looking for. Your wrench goes through this hole to give you a straight shot on the clamp bolt.

The second image shows what the clamp bolts look like with the TBs removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody. I'm done with it now so I'll just post my issues, solutions, and tips for the next rider

1. The bolts you loosen to remove the throttle bodies are just throttle body clamps. They can easily be put back on if you somehow manage to accidentally get them off or get the bolt out.

2. Removing the airbox. There's 8 screws to remove the top of the airbox and inside the airbox are 5 allen bolts. Once you remove them, the airbox will be loose but not necessarily easy to get out. I pulled out my air ducts to free up some space and turned the airbox to the right while pulling it up & forward towards the bars. It came out around the 2 or 3rd attempt. I was trying not to apply too much force but it took quiet a bit.

3. Disconnecting the throttle bodies. It's quite a few electrical plugs. NONE of them are extra and they're easy to undo if you take your time. If you feel any sudden resistance when pulling the throttle bodies out then you likely forgot a plug somewhere.

4. Might as well clean your throttle bodies while they're out. I also had to put some lubricant around my rubber connectors in order to get my throttle bodies to slide back into place.

5. Lubricated the outside of my air ducts and they slid into place rather easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts