Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have decided to replace the stator on my 06 10r. I have been chasing an electrical bug for a while now and after reading pages of other 06-07 having to replace the stator, I decided to go ahead and do it. Anyways, I just pulled the stator cover off and took a look at the stator. It seems to look OK but I don't really know what I am looking for. Some of the coils are darker than others :dontknow: . I have a couple questions for others who have done this mod.

1. After I remove the cover and take out the four bolts holding the stator, how do I seperate the wire connection from the stator to the bike? It apears that I can disconnect the wire where it meets the motor casing but I don't want to start pulling on this thing if I'm wrong. When looking at the bottom side of the stator, I don't see any way to disconnect it.

2. Should I use lock-tight on all the bolts when I put her back together?
3. There is some kind of lubrication in there, is it just engine oil? Do i need to do any special lubrication when installing new stator?
4. Should I replace the gasket? I was carefull with it and it seems pretty solid still.

Thanks for any help guys. I am trying to save some money by doing this myself.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
the plug for the stator is just out of sight. tug on it and see if you can pull it out, otherwise you might have to take the seat/tank off. you should be able to see the plug if you are tracing the wires into the bike.

2 use blue lolcktite. red one will be a bitch to get out.
3 just engine oil
4 i would reuse the gasket. not a big deal, make sure it doesnt leak afterwards.

before changing the stator i would make sure its bad. it usually is or it isn't. some of the coils may look darker than others. use the ohm-meter to check the resistances of 3 coils (i dont know the values of top of my head/its in the manual).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. I just tracked down the shop manual for the bike. It basically said everything you did. Manual doesn't say to use locktight but I think I will anyways. I also was reading that the connection between the stator cover and the motor case will disconnect and just use a cilicone when replacing the new one. After reading that and getting your advice I feel pretty confident with replacing it.

As for testing it, I don't have a multimeter to do the testing. I know what you saying right now... this guy is going to buy a new stator but can't spring for a new multimeter, what is he thinking.... I have already replaced the battery twice and replaced the regulator/rectifier. If the stator is not the problem I guess I made a $$$ mistake. I figure at this point it can't hurt to replace it considering how many other people are having stator problems with their 2nd gens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts