Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know why the alternator gear set has that back gear that is rotated off the main gear by about a degree? I'm putting mine back in the bike and the main gear doesn't look like it would come fully flush with the clutch basket gear ( it's wider than the generator gear ). Also the manual says that you need to remove the clutch but I can't figure out why ( you can see the gear mate with just the clutch cover off. The manual picture on installation shows the basket and gear on the bike but the plates, inner parts are not installed.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope the manual is crap. You just need to remove the clutch cover. You slide the alternator (without the stator and cover) up into the hole and get the first gear engaged onto the clutch gear. Then from the clutch side, slide a thin long screw driver in into the inner scissor gear and push it inline with the clutch while the wife, friend etc, pushes on the alternator towards the clutch. The alternator gear should be like flush with the clutch gear. Tighten the alt shaft lever, then put the stator and cover in ( the magnets will let it engage but it's a bit fiddly ). Also when you assemble the starter cover back on make sure you leave the starter motor very loose till you get it all back on. Then you can tighten the bolts and put the coolant fittings back on ( I did these first and had to take it al apart to get the damn starter gear cover back on ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts