Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 ZX-10R is out of a 10 month slumber. Put a new battery in and the speedo/ODO won't operate. Have a PC3, TRE, and Speedo healer. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
"Not work" as in "doesn't show anything on the display at all" (no power to cluster), or ...
"not work" as in "displays zero while moving" (no speed sensor signal)?

·
Banned
480 Posts
check all the connectors to the Computer you prob need to unplug them and plug them back in weird shit happens when stuff sits, also there is a connector on the left side inside the upper fairing, unplug it and plug tha back in

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Not work" as in "doesn't show anything on the display at all" (no power to cluster), or ...
"not work" as in "displays zero while moving" (no speed sensor signal)?
Just reads 0. Checked all the fuses and connectors and everything looks good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine has done the same thing. It was a bad (not blown) fuse. It was in the main fuse compartment and it was for the lights too. Cant remember which one thou. I know it was not the head lights. Went to the track and had a big 0 all day for the speedo till I swapped them out and had to reset the speedo healer. Hope this helps.

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine has done the same thing. It was a bad (not blown) fuse. It was in the main fuse compartment and it was for the lights too. Cant remember which one thou. I know it was not the head lights. Went to the track and had a big 0 all day for the speedo till I swapped them out and had to reset the speedo healer. Hope this helps.
i will give this a shot. thanks.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
A bad Fuse but NOT blown?....don't hear about that very often.....another thing to check is your speedohealer because you may have hit one of the dip switches if located close to the battery and that will give a ZERO reading as well.

bloo

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A bad Fuse but NOT blown?....don't hear about that very often.....another thing to check is your speedohealer because you may have hit one of the dip switches if located close to the battery and that will give a ZERO reading as well.

bloo
yeah, i've never heard of a bad fuze either but it was worth a try. didn't work btw. i completely reset the speedohealer and still no luck. everything else on the bike works perfect just no signal to the speedo. probably take off the tank tomorrow and look at all the connectors.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
yeah, i've never heard of a bad fuze either but it was worth a try. didn't work btw. i completely reset the speedohealer and still no luck. everything else on the bike works perfect just no signal to the speedo. probably take off the tank tomorrow and look at all the connectors.
Well the first choice is something is wrong with the connector nearby so I never mentioned it.....you already said in post #8 "Just reads 0. Checked all the fuses and connectors and everything looks good."

If you just don't know what connector I believe for the 2nd Gens it has 1 main connector under the tank that the TRE, and Speedohealer use which could be a problem.

bloo

Reactions: ripper

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I ran into this problem with my 05 and had to replace the Speed sensor. I checked all the wiring and everything checked out good. The sensor even seemed to check good but once I replaced it the speedo worked fine.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I ran into this problem with my 05 and had to replace the Speed sensor. I checked all the wiring and everything checked out good. The sensor even seemed to check good but once I replaced it the speedo worked fine.
:+1: If everything else fails, check this.

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
speedo came back today all by itself. didn't feel like troubleshooting and wanted to ride so took the bike up in the mountains for a couple hours. as soon as i fired it up and headed out the speedo/odo were working fine. guess it just needed some time for the gremlins to sort their shite out.

thanks for all the input. this one kind of had me stumped but i believe it's a faulty/failing speed sensor.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Mine actually started giving all sorts of erroneous speeds before finally just reading 0. The sensor is really easy and cheap to change if it becomes necessary.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeap it kicked our ass a full day. The fuse was not burnt throu but had no continuity thru it? Believe it had arched thru lower in the plastic body of the fuse or pulling it out had broken the metal pin internally. Red 10 Amp.

My buddy has an '07 and he pulled some fuses to turn off his lights for a track day and his Speedo turned on when the bike was fired up but the Speedo would read 0 when moving. He also had to reprogram his speed-o-healer also when putting the fuses back in.

bloo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts