Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Listen to this…..

I have a 2006 Zx10 I bought used with +6K miles and after (my first) oil change while accelerating in 1st gear around 3-5K (under load and only when cold) there is a repeated split second weird "bucking/hesitating/sputtering" condition (also once in a higher gear @ 10K) Almost like the throttle is released/engaged repeatedly.
I let up on the throttle (or come to a stop and start moving again) and roll on again and it sometimes goes away.
This condition also seems to goes away once the engine is up to temp.

I noticed this happened immediately after I changed the oil (this issue never happened before I changed the oil and I've put almost 2K miles since I bought the bike)

Again… All I did was change was the oil…….
I don't see how this could be related to changing the oil Kawi filter and Spectrol M/C oil)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Don't ride till it's warmed up

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks..........LOL

the issue is it happens when accelerating into a turn (on ramp) and actually I did notice it when it was warmed up in 3rd at 7-9K but only slightly and only 1 "blip"

Somethings "Not Right" and it's really bugs me that this never happened before.......having put almost 2K miles on the bike with no issues at all.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah well maybe ride it around untill you run low on gas then fill up at a different place.. like shell.. maybe you have some bad gas in there ?? with water in it?? maybe try some water remover for the gas???

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Don't ride till it's warmed up
No, seriously, -listen-to this guy. WOT/heavy throttle on a cold engine (ESPECIALLY under load) is a no-no. It's a fantastic way to drastacally reduce your engine life. :badteeth:

What's really going on in the motor is sorta complicated, but it invloves the secondaries, the TPS, and the coolant temperature sensor, and the IAT. The bike isn't designed to perform smoothly until it's warm.... that's just the simple way of saying it. :)

If it's happening when it's warm, then you have some other stuff going on. Usual suspects are things like plugs, fuel, and air filter. Happy hunting there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand.....When I say cold, I mean as in not fully up to temp
say 120-130ºF as opposed to 150-170ºF ish

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Borderline there.... if it were me I'd give 'er the quick once over on the fuel/air system. What's yer mods look like? PC3? Pipes? Any other gizmos? This a 49 state bike or CA? :)

I've never had a hiccup on my 10R, but the wife's 848 has very rarely done odd ball shit like that, then promptly never done it again. :dontknow:

·
Registered
813 Posts
...., but the wife's 848 has very rarely done odd ball shit like that, then promptly never done it again. :dontknow:
Italian bike owners refer to things like that as "personality." If a Japanese bike does it, it is a problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I beleive a "Bad Sidestand Switch" was causing the ZX10 to randomly cutout
I disabled switch and took for a quick blast tonight seems to run normal again
Will ride more tomorrow to confirm

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I beleive a "Bad Sidestand Switch" was causing the ZX10 to randomly cutout
I disabled switch and took for a quick blast tonight seems to run normal again
Will ride more tomorrow to confirm

Could well be. I had a problem like that with mine one night, hit a bit of a bump on a corner, and the sidestand bounced away from the stop killing the motor temporarily

1 - 13 of 13 Posts