Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im semi new to site, long time Kawi rider. Livin a lil north of Portland OR in Washington State. Out of commission for a few months after a pretty gnarly wreck so im super bored so i figured id make a post and vent/share lol

Been ridin pretty much every day since March of 2008 when i sold my car and bought a ‘91 ZX-7R with a 04 ZX-10 front fairings. Over the years i have had an 00 CBR 600 F4, 03 ninja 636, 05 ninja 636, and a short stint with a 17 HD Dyna Street Bob when i let my wife convince me to get a bike she’d be comfy on too lol i Inherited my 2010 ZX-10R Special Edition from my best friend that passed away back in May ‘19 (RIP brotha).

Had big upgrade/mod plans for it for next summer, then wrecked at the end of August. Hit a stalled car (partly my fault, but hazard lights from the guy woulda been extremely helpful lol but anyways) i broke my right collarbone, 3 ribs on my right side, snapped a metacarpal and shattered a digit in my left hand middle finger, massive bruising and swelling in my left knee and right hip. My Arai Profile prevented any real head injuries minus a very minor concussion, 2009 model Icon Regulator vest prevented any spine injuries, and Alpinestars SMX Plus boots prevented any ankle/foot injuries. I was wearing Astars textile shorty gloves with carbon knuckle but initial impact with the car was left hand and left knee so i cant really fault the gloves too much. Always have and will be a big believer in Arai, and never get on a bike without it and a spine protector.
Had a plate and screws put in on 9/5 to fix my collarbone. Im lookin at 3-4 months in a sling and cant lift anything for as long. Left hand is in a cast for minimum 3 months, but luckily as of now i dont need surgery. Left knee still needs an MRI to check tendons and ligaments but XRays said no bone breaks.

Bike damage;
Broken; Upper fairing, both green upper side fairings, headlight, mirror bracket, intake box, left side mirror, both rearsets, right side engine cover/idle gear cover, black mid fairings both sides are scuffed up but salvageable, Yosh exhaust pipe has minor scrape, and right barend is scuffed up.

Repair parts im goin with;
Motocomposite carbon fiber fairings
-Upper fairing
-large side panels

Woodcraft parts
-rearsets-using oem levers if i cant find a full woodcraft setup. As of right now Woodcraft, Revzilla, and SBTG.com only have the basic setup
-idle gear cover/gasket
-crank cover/gasket
-mirror blockoff plates

Hot bodies green rear hugger
Oem intake box
Oem Y bracket behind gauge
CRG blindsight mirrors
Yana Shiki mirror bracket

Lookin at roughly $1500 in repairs before tune and maintenance

Bike already has a PC5 and Yosh R77 but it was runnin rich so gona have it tuned once all the repairs are done.
Oem oil filter
Royal purple 10w-40
Rad flush with Kawi coolant refill
Wheel/tire balance
K&n air filter
Tune at EDR in Portland OR

Well i doubt anyone read this lol but its more for my peace of mind anyway so no biggie. I welcome part suggestions/alternatives, positive comments/concerns, or just shootin the shit lol
I will update this thread as everything goes along

Keep the rubber down ladies and gents!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Love the Kawasaki green cast, I bet the doctors thought you were still concussed when you ask for that colour :) Glad to hear your injuries weren't any worse, not that it would help you feel better! Good luck with the rebuild, I really enjoy researching new parts to make my bike better in some way.

If you're looking for some extra bike protection in case you crash in the future (fingers crossed this is your only crash) I just installed a set of GB Racing engine covers on my racebike, brilliant bit of kit. Fit perfectly and provide a lot of extra protection for your engine in case it slides on its side.

Anyway, good luck with your recuperation and keep us updated when you start getting new parts and rebuilding your bike.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Fuck me the bike came out in better shape than you lol. Best wishes with your recovery. Personally I'd get rid of the PC5 you will pay for another tune and as soon as the weather changes you'll need another, seriously get rid of it and have a full woolich flash tune. I agree with carbon covers not necessarily GB but carbon full covers are great protection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love the Kawasaki green cast, I bet the doctors thought you were still concussed when you ask for that colour 🙂 Glad to hear your injuries weren't any worse, not that it would help you feel better! Good luck with the rebuild, I really enjoy researching new parts to make my bike better in some way.

If you're looking for some extra bike protection in case you crash in the future (fingers crossed this is your only crash) I just installed a set of GB Racing engine covers on my racebike, brilliant bit of kit. Fit perfectly and provide a lot of extra protection for your engine in case it slides on its side.

Anyway, good luck with your recuperation and keep us updated when you start getting new parts and rebuilding your bike.
Lmao ya they laughed wen i said it matches my bike lol new cast has a black sleeve underneath so it matches even more lol

Thanks for the well wishes, appreciate it!
Ya im kind of a gear and parts geek so shoppin and researchin new parts has helped with my stir crazy lol i looked at those GB covers but i need to find out if they will fit over the Woodcraft covers. The woodcraft is actually the same price as an new oem cover so i figured i may as well upgrade that side now, then the other side later. But i like the idea of double protection on the engine.
Thanks again for the thoughts and info!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuck me the bike came out in better shape than you lol. Best wishes with your recovery. Personally I'd get rid of the PC5 you will pay for another tune and as soon as the weather changes you'll need another, seriously get rid of it and have a full woolich flash tune. I agree with carbon covers not necessarily GB but carbon full covers are great protection.
“Bikes better than you”
Lmao ya thats what some of the bystanders said wen i was layin there waitin for the ambulance lol

i never thought about just doin a flash tune with no pc5...hmm. The PC5 was already on the bike wen i got it, but recently a buddy told me i still needed to get it dyno’d and mapped to my specific bike so it did kinda make me question the point of havin it lol
but wouldnt it be better to have them program a few different maps on the pc5 to account for weather changes/air temp? Or is that even possible? I mostly ride in the summer only now (ive ridden in the rain and snow more than enough lol) and its usually pretty hot wen i get on the bike. Only real variable i encounter nowadays is elevation change when i hit Mt St Helens runs or out to the coast

1 - 5 of 5 Posts