Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I found a couple threads on here that mentioned the steps on removing the factory swingarm. Now my question is in regards to the special tool that is used. I read that someone used a large Allen key or hex socket to remove the swingarm nut that requires the special tool. Now the reason why I am making this this thread is because those threads were never updated to say if it worked or not.

So if someone that removed the swingarm by using a large allen key/hex socket and it worked no problem please chime in, that would be great. I am not one to cheap out, but I really don't want to spend 100 bucks on a tool that I only need once.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi everyone. I found a couple threads on here that mentioned the steps on removing the factory swingarm. Now my question is in regards to the special tool that is used. I read that someone used a large Allen key or hex socket to remove the swingarm nut that requires the special tool. Now the reason why I am making this this thread is because those threads were never updated to say if it worked or not.

So if someone that removed the swingarm by using a large allen key/hex socket and it worked no problem please chime in, that would be great. I am not one to cheap out, but I really don't want to spend 100 bucks on a tool that I only need once.

i believe its called a castle nut, but yes it looks like this (not 100% if this is gen4 applicable, didnt read the link) but you can find them all over ebay pretty cheap like $25-40

(not sure if you can use another tool, like the way you can use the spark plug tool reversed on the front axle - but someone may have figured something out...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWINGARM-PIVOT-CASTLE-LOCK-NUT-TOOL-fits-KAWASAKI-ZX6-ZX10-ZX14-CONCOURS-more-/200557211473

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^Thanks man. Ya that's the "special tool" required, but I was reading about removing the nut on the clutch side, then using an allen socket on the brake side to loosen it off without the use of the tool. It doesn't seem right, but I want to hear about it from someone that has done it first before I attempt it and end up braking something lol.

I will end up buying the tool if no one has any feedback.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if your gen is like mine on the swing arm... but I ended up making that tool with a socket, some key stock, and welded it together. Worked perfectly for my gen 1.

PLEASE read the service manual and torque everything back together.

Also something to note. If your socket was like mine it can be a bit fragile. so if you hit it with a punch and/or slip when turning it, it's possible it will chip/break where the "fingers" go into the grooves.

there is a procedure to it, so that's why I say look this up in the service manual. But over all it's actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I looked through the service manual, but I talked to a couple local guys and you can remove the swing arm like bgmagma10 said with an allen. Took it out no problem, and put it back in. You need the tool when doing the final torque on the adjusting collar nut which is 72ftlbs.

Thanks Horse for the tip. I made sure to torque everything down to spec :wink:

I'm not 100% sure if your gen is like mine on the swing arm... but I ended up making that tool with a socket, some key stock, and welded it together. Worked perfectly for my gen 1.

PLEASE read the service manual and torque everything back together.

Also something to note. If your socket was like mine it can be a bit fragile. so if you hit it with a punch and/or slip when turning it, it's possible it will chip/break where the "fingers" go into the grooves.

there is a procedure to it, so that's why I say look this up in the service manual. But over all it's actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
jst remembering this from my ZX6R, you can also take a cheapo 20mm or 22mm (can't remember the size) and use a grinder to cut notches in the same spots as where the castle nut have them). I have one at home I made and I'll check if it's the same and works on the Gen4 10R.

·
Registered
462 Posts
jst remembering this from my ZX6R, you can also take a cheapo 20mm or 22mm (can't remember the size) and use a grinder to cut notches in the same spots as where the castle nut have them). I have one at home I made and I'll check if it's the same and works on the Gen4 10R.
sorry adding some corrections to my typeo's here:
just remembering this from my ZX6R, you can also take a cheapo 20mm or 22mm socket (can't remember the size) and use a grinder to cut notches in the same spots as where the castle nut have them). I have one at home I made and I'll check if it's the same and works on the Gen4 10R.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have to measure up the size, but I checked and the one I made for my ZX6R is the same and works on the castle nut for the 10R.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Hey Serialize,

Did you buy a new toy? If so, spill the beans!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hey Serialize,

Did you buy a new toy? If so, spill the beans!
Found my way into a gen4 ZX10.
Still getting some parts to get track ready but looks like a fun bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts