Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to take out my secondary butterflies. Can anyone give me input on if there are anything I need to know when it comes to taking them out.

Do I need to do anything to the bike afterwards or is removing them fine? Will I need to get GiPro or anything. Will I have to Dyno my bike afterwards?

I have the 2008 ZX-10R.

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am wanting to take out my secondary butterflies. Can anyone give me input on if there are anything I need to know when it comes to taking them out.

Do I need to do anything to the bike afterwards or is removing them fine? Will I need to get GiPro or anything. Will I have to Dyno my bike afterwards?

I have the 2008 ZX-10R.
I never dynoed mine after, and I took them out at 1900 miles, at 9000 now. Get a screwdriver that fits the heads perfectly. Don't let any metal or screws fall past the butterfly valves underneath. It will be pretty easy till you come to the last screw, that's always when problems happen lol. Take off the airbox so you can get straight up and down when unscrewing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you haven't had any other mods? Your bike didn't run lean?

·
Registered
536 Posts
So you haven't had any other mods? Your bike didn't run lean?
m4 slip on is the only other thing that would change anything. I only had the bike about 1 hour before I did it, so it might of changed but I couldn't really tell. I did put them back in a few months later because I thought I had to take the bike in for servicing and that's when I noticed it did change the lower end.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you do the TRE and GiPro?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, and the the GiPro I think makes it so you know what gear you are in and gets rid of the retard in the bike I think.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
08's have gear indicators stock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes I know they do, but I thought with adding the TRE making the bike run like it is in 6th or something, the GiPro fixes it back???

·
Registered
322 Posts
not sure about the the 10's but on my 05 1000 when i installed a tre i lost the factory gear indicator with the tre installed it reads 0 now.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I pulled mine, I get better throttle response now.

I have an 08. The TRE eliminates the factory TIMING retard that is built in to the ignition system. It also changes when the secondaries open and close, but when you remove them it does not matter. If you get the Healtech XTRE for the 08-09 model, you will not need the GI Pro and your factory GI will work fine. If you get any other brand (as far as I know) you will lose your factory GI. The TRE also has no effect at full throttle as the factory timing retard does not affect WOT, only part throttle.

I don't have one yet, but I will. Everything I have read states exactly what I wrote above despite the debates that rage on every month on this forum.

Just be careful when unscrewing them, it is easy to strip them out. Use a hammer and tap the butt of the screw driver as you slowly try to turn it, this will help to keep them from stripping.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I want to pull mine... I can never find a way to efficiently get the tank out of the way though, and when I saw the airbox I said fuck that and gave up haha.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where is the best place to get the healtech xtre?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what if I have a PCIII???? attached to my bike already?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
what if I have a PCIII???? attached to my bike already?
Won't matter, you MIGHT have to change your map a little if it is running lean but that is about it. The PC III does not control timing (unless you have the ignition module) nor does it do anything to the secondaries.

As for the tank, just take it all the way off and set it aside. You can get them off without removing the entire airbox, it is just harder and more likely you will strip a screw head.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts