Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It's a gen 3 bike. I've dialed all the rebound and compression out. The bike needs a bit of force to turn.

I replaced the rear spring. It was slightly shorter than the standard one but I have good sag of 31mm. Front sag is 36mm.

The other option I'm looking at is dropping the fork tubes in case the slightly shorter spring has altered the ride height.
The shorter spring wont affect the overall length of the shock. The force of the spring will stretch the shock to it's full extension as long as you have preload on the shock (which is sounds like you do).

The turn in is generally not caused by improper damping settings, but by geometry issues. Geometry can be broken into two categories, static (ride height) and dynamic (spring rate and preload which determines where the suspension sits in the stroke). SO by your description the bike wont turn in on entry would suggest your bike is sitting a bit too high. Two options you could try would be take out some preload in the front (generally 2 turns will give you noticeable results either positive or negative) OR lower the front a few mm and see. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages and without knowing more info would be a good starting point for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't believe it's tyre pressure related. I keep a very close eye on them but it's a possibility. I'm not suffering from hot or cold tears.

I've also dialed out all preload so that's not an option I'm afraid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think I gave you some advice before on this, but I found raising the fork stanchions 5mm in the triple tree worked well for me.

You did! :thumbsup: The bike was laid up for over a year. I pulled it out last month and started to play with it again. On Friday I went back and reread those pms and saw your mention of 5mm. Saturday morning I raised them 5mm and it seems to have helped a lot. Had it on track on Sunday and it's made a huge improvement on the ability of the bike to turn.

Still not happy with the front end but I suspect ultimately it's a revalve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
An update in case some one end up in a similar situation... removing a small amount of fluid is very easy. - remove the fork cam and slip a small tube into the fork and suck a little out.

Tiny amounts make a huge difference

21 - 25 of 25 Posts