Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
So here goes, unfortunately I bought my 2014 zx10r with right around 3k miles. It did not come with an owners manual and unfortunately I haven't had the time to look for one, or see if they're available online. From skimming through a few forums, i saw a lot of different answers as to whether removing both the slip on and catalytic converter would affect performance or how the bike runs. I read some places that the bike actually runs better and others where you have to cut off some O2 sensors and what not. My question is, will running the bike without the both of these affect anything? Is it bad to run it for a long time without these on? Basically I do not yet have the funds to get a nice exhaust and I wanted to ride for a few days with it off just to see how it sounds and to piss off the neighbors. Not to mention, loud pipes saves lives :notworthy:

Additionally, upon inspecting the bike after i removed the slip on, I noticed that the catalytic converter is only hanging on from the bolt on top under the seat. The previous owner must've switched the exhaust then switched them back, but it seems he lost the clamp that holds it in place to the pipe. So I'd rather be safer than sorry and remove that as well just to make sure nothing falls off and gets stuck under the wheel. Thanks in advanced for your replies, I'm hoping for speedy feedback as I'm just waiting for her to cool down before i take of the converter. Thanks all, safe riding.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It will mess the fueling up, did on mine anyway when I removed the cat and fitted link pipe and slip-on, most noticable at low revs. Tried an eliminator and removing the lambda as a quick fix, made it worse.

Akrapovic says if you fit the Link Pipe it can damage the engine without a remap, thats mainly their covering their backs i should think, but there are a couple of lean spots at mid and high revs/throttle positions on mine. Its rich everywhere else.
Removing both will be even worse.
So forked out for a Woolich Logbox and in the process of remapping it.

Thats the way to go really if you want it right. It never will be else.

·
Registered
35 Posts
^^^ What he said, I wouldn't even consider doing this. If you cant afford a aftermarket exhaust right now, keep the original. If anything buy a used link pipe that you can fit with the OEM pipe and remove the catalytic converter. That will make it sound better and you will gain some of the restricted power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm actually in the process of swapping out my OEM exhaust for an M4 GP style and a buddy of mine told me to get a Servo Buddy. It basically piggy-backs from the ECU and tricks it into thinking the factory exhaust servo and etc is still there when its actually not. Without this little item, you'll get FI codes and the warning light will kick on and remain on until fixed. here is the link for one on Ebay. I have already ordered mine.

Kawasaki 2004 2015 ZX10R Woodcraft Racing Skutrnet Servo Buddy | eBay

I hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts