Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

For the ones that do their own servicing this may be interesting, a couple of years ago i had to change chain and sprockets of my ZX10R 2004, after 30000 miles (with scottoiler!) i was unable to loosen frontsprocket nut, used profesional air tools, no way Jose!
Finally i took my little Dremel cutter and split the original nut in 2, actually left about one mm on and then it broke when i used a normal spanner to take it off, so i bought an original new nut and threw away the old one, so if yours is so "welded"on like mine was, do not use extreme force, you might damage your bike, use a dremel cutter, I am also member of the german ZX10R forum, and already people used my method with success.
Have fun!

Tojoko

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just have to ask, did you flatten out the washer? It's raised against the nut and needs to be flatten out. I used an electric impact tool and it came right off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sprocket

Hi

Yes i did, it wasn't the first time i changed chain and sprockets on a motorbike, until the problem with the ZX10R I allways managed to loosen the nuts with normal tools, i"ve seen in the german ZX10R forum that i am not alone with this seemingly welded on nut...

tojoko

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,631 Posts
The nut is not welded on. Kawi uses a ton of red loctite on the nut to keep it from loosening. I don't recommend heat or cutting the nut off. That can damage threads on the output shaft if you cut too deep or slip. I have yet to see one that wouldn't come off with a decent air impact wrench, which won't hurt the motor. The trick is to use the bigger, thinner outer size for the socket. Not the smaller, inner nut part. If you look at the nut, it's stepped. The bigger part of it transfers more torque to the nut to break it free.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wrapped a towel around my long pry bar and stuck it through the swingarm and wheel. Then I had my brother sit on the bike while I grunted and turned red in the face until it broke loose with my large breaker bar. I only had a 3/8" air impact that I knew wasnt going to do jack on that nut. We had to do it the same way with a buddy of mine that is on this forum also.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My bike has 30k miles on it and when I changed my front sprocket for the first time it was very easy. It only required a breaker bar and a pipe in the rear wheel. The washer might've been the culprit for you.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
An air impact wouldn't get mine off, I had to just get the ol breaker bar and put my muscles to the test, it took a bit but I eventually broke it free...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a solution for extreme cases

Hi

Like i alraedy stated, it was not my first sprocket job, i've owned 16 motorbikes ridden over 600000 km, nearly 400000 miles!
Allways used normal tools to remove the nut, kawasaki did NOT use any sort of locktite on the parts, I ride in Germany most of the time longdistance and very fast, that is probably the reason for the nut becoming ultra tight.
There is no problem using a (small) dremel cutter, you won't damage the other parts, cut it to about 1 mm of metal is left on the nut then apply normal tool, no sweat, no risk of damaging by using extreme force.
But anyone is free to do what they think works, this works for me, it just makes life a bit easier.

tojoko.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frontsprocket removal

Hi

Actually not my pics, but from a guy that used my method, i tried the bigger part of the nut, but for me that did not work.

Tojoko.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts