Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone post manual instructions for removing the air filter? Going to replace with a K&N. The dealership wanted like $70.00 for the labor. My ZX7R was so simple. I had that top end off almost everyday. Could do dit in my sleep.. Thanks and Peace:cool:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Sheit....just remove the two front tank bolts, lift up the tank, remove all the airbox cover screws and the air filter will just be sitting there (after you take the air box cover off)...take you about 10 minutes...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Older Guy said:
Sheit....just remove the two front tank bolts, lift up the tank, remove all the airbox cover screws and the air filter will just be sitting there (after you take the air box cover off)...take you about 10 minutes...
:+1:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guess i should of also asked if it is worth putting in K and N air filter. I know on my 7R it was a pain to get tuned after install. I know these bikes or like night and day, just don't want to get into all that mapping and stuff yet. But would like a free horsepowere or two.. Thanks and peace..
Also how about thte K and N Oil Filter? There is a site I can order from for 9.95 a shot. Was going to order me 5 or so to have ready when oil needs changed. Again thanks and peace:cool:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info, I was hesitant about K&N before this , now I am for sure not going to bother. I will look into BMC when I decide to put new one in. Peace

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
K&N has been around forever, everyone else's washable gauze filters are a copy. Some others are foam, isn't BMC just real tight meshed metal with no "cloth?" the race one at least? Never held a BMC.

I'd trust K&N but have read a lot that says you may actually lose a horse or two on the 04-05's with with them.

Supposedly kawi matched the stock one real well.

I may go K&N any way just to be able to wash and re use. Used them on dirtbikes in glades/ water- never a problem.

Used them in mustangs, and 900's- no problems.

I remember that thread, as I said there- I'm sure they would replace the filter as they have a lifetime warr. Then he could sell it if not wanted.

No one and nothing is perfect.
It even could have been damaged a bit while in box and got worse or was installed poorly.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
No one and nothing is perfect.
It even could have been damaged a bit while in box and got worse or was installed poorly.
:+1:

I have K&N all my cars, My honda has 20,000 miles on it no problem.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not trying to hijack but since we're on the subject is the 10's filter hard to put in once you get to the air box ? Or is it just square filter and a pop it in kind of deal ? I'm thinking about a new 10 but ease of maintenance is always a consideration.

My RC51 was nearly impposible....Two round filters that you had perform some hand gymnastics just to bolt them in...

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Sands said:
Not trying to hijack but since we're on the subject is the 10's filter hard to put in once you get to the air box ? Or is it just square filter and a pop it in kind of deal ? I'm thinking about a new 10 but ease of maintenance is always a consideration.

My RC51 was nearly impposible....Two round filters that you had perform some hand gymnastics just to bolt them in...
just pop er in:mrgreen:

·
Registered
384 Posts
THE ICE MAN said:
The seat off 1st then side plastic pieces, the tank bolts ect ect
Get the BMC.
:+1: old one slides out, new one slides in. You do need to stick the adhesive-backed foam pieces to the BMC filter first, not more than 30 secs of sticking . . .

·
Registered
204 Posts
About K&N, I remember that in the back of the box when they came out at first, it had a flow chart showing different flow capabilities, and the washed K&N filter will be out performed by the factory filter. After that, I have never bought a K&N, at least not because is washable. After you wash it is sh*t, and that was a confesion on the back of the box. I have BMC.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had K&N on my last bike but went with BMC street for the 10. Much better quality! Not sure about the race BMC, but the street filter has to be oiled before you install it. I heard if you dont oil it it could cause excessive back firing. My .02

·
Registered
384 Posts
MY oo ITCH said:
I had K&N on my last bike but went with BMC street for the 10. Much better quality! Not sure about the race BMC, but the street filter has to be oiled before you install it. I heard if you dont oil it it could cause excessive back firing. My .02
don't quote me, but I am pretty sure the BMC filters come pre-oiled; you have to "regenerate" them after washing by oiling. however.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts