Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well took me 3 1/2 hours to get motor out, head off and both surfaces clean and ready to go back together. Thin head gasket is here but cam is on back order, which sucks. Will get the head back on tomorrow.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Fast worker!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work at a kawasaki/suzuki dealer part time so I have acess to the shop and lifts so it helps a lot. Not a bad job to take out though.

·
Registered
740 Posts
any special tools needed, for this removal? I will be doing it soon for a buddy who broke his frame when it hit a wall.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice job. I ordered a thin head gasket from Muzzy friday. Are you going to do anything to the head? Valve job? Porting? I have 8200 miles on mine and was debating if I should have the a valve job done on it. Any special tools requiered in the removal?
I am going to degree the cams to 107/104 per Muzzy specs also.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
really no special tools needed except one socket that has what i call four legs to back off the jam nuts on a couple of the motor mounts. No head work for me, the zx10 heads are ported by hand at the factory so unless someone really knows what they are doing gains will be min. 5 angle valve job might be worth a little but not enough for me to worry about.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You work at a shop part-time and it took you 3.5 hours. I wonder how many hours they would tell you to bill the job at for a customers bike?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I did not rush doing it, pretty straight forward removal. Just wish the cam would show up not that I'm in a hurry with all the snow we have but would like to get it back together.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Bently said:
really no special tools needed except one socket that has what i call four legs to back off the jam nuts on a couple of the motor mounts. No head work for me, the zx10 heads are ported by hand at the factory so unless someone really knows what they are doing gains will be min. 5 angle valve job might be worth a little but not enough for me to worry about.
:lol: "Ported by hand" "yea" must of been a monday job here oh well,,, I'll file it under p.p.p (piss poor porting) some of these look like there finished with 180 grit and the one next to it 80 grit. Hope you can see the ledge on the intake flange? the area around the valve seat has room for some improvement also. No way this head would flow close from 1 to 4.. sorry just an rant (to many beers) :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been around head work all my life, and mine looks really good no ledges anywhere, maybe that's why mine dynoed at 157 and some dyno in the 140s, I have a good freind who does heads for a few nhra prostock bikes and he said the head looked real good maybe 1 to 2 horses to be gained by a 5 angle valve job, but thats not enough for me to worry about. just hopeing for 10 hp with cam headgasket and power commander.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have 1 valve not sealing the best has a little carbon on it, but not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rocketracermike, I have a very good real job during the day so not interested in my own shop. I've been wrenching on cars and bikes since i was 8 thanks to my dad, so I'm a pretty good wrench. Built alot of drag cars over the years and it all helps out.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Dreadnought-arr said:
:lol: "Ported by hand" "yea" must of been a monday job here oh well,,, I'll file it under p.p.p (piss poor porting) some of these look like there finished with 180 grit and the one next to it 80 grit. Hope you can see the ledge on the intake flange? the area around the valve seat has room for some improvement also. No way this head would flow close from 1 to 4.. sorry just an rant (to many beers) :thumbsup:
yea quit your sniveling for fugg sakes its a mass produced machine with production variances. Have ya ever seen the intake tract of an 80's sportbike??? if ya have then ya know your pic above is one sweet intake tract, hence the continued increase in HP each year.

BD

·
Registered
583 Posts
Big Daddy said:
yea quit your sniveling for fugg sakes its a mass produced machine with production variances. Have ya ever seen the intake tract of an 80's sportbike??? if ya have then ya know your pic above is one sweet intake tract, hence the continued increase in HP each year.

BD
:fu2: Your avatar is what makes me snivel lol. IF I remember right late 80's jap heads were about 95% volumetric efficient? Do you think it stops at 100%. I think Bently is right about
why some pull more than others.> Excuse me why I go snivel some more< :spit:

Attachments

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
you didn't remember right so keep sniveling. :fu2:

BD

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
This is a production bike. No way are those heads "ported by hand". CNC machine, on the other hand ...

Regardless of whether the job is perfect or not, these heads have way better port shapes than lesser models or older models.

The rubber flange does not line up perfectly with the ports in the head on mine, and it is a real bugger to get the throttle bodies on there - no way to see or feel if the throttle bodies are seated properly. But fixing that is not likely to make a major difference.

I am quite sure that differences in dyno readings are mostly due to differences in the dyno installation and calibration, and only partly due to production tolerances between bikes. I betcha if you brought that 157-hp-with-slipon bike to the same dyno where mine did 141, it wouldn't do 157. Keep in mind that my 141 was with dirty air filter and 15w50 oil - hardly an optimum set-up.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
GoFaster said:
it is a real bugger to get the throttle bodies on there - no way to see or feel if the throttle bodies are seated properly. .
OT a bit but... small amount of WD40 ( applied by finger in my case) on the inside of the rubber boots and the throttle bodies seat in nice and easy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually they are ported by hand, I work at a dealer part time so there is always reading material showing up that the general public does not see. If you read my dyno thread the dyno I had my bike on is very accurate, all my Busa's dynoed what they say the should on that dyno as well. 141 does not sound right at all, what gear was your dyno run done in?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts