Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have advice on removing rusty bolts out of the cat? I've tried penetrating oil and letting it heat up to 200°F. Just seem to be stripping allen heads at this point. Broke one off, which is fine, since I don't need the cat and ordered all new hardware for the link pipe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Pace
7,044 Posts
Are you talking about the bolt clamp? Can't remember what OEM fasterner was as never ran the stock can. I'd just trash that and replace can. Graves works for me BUT have noticed, often, reports that it is indeed loud upon heavy work as in everyone a mile up and hear me coming...popo especially. So, consider whatever that is a bit more mild but NOT quiet as cagers hear us often long before they see us catch up. And most cagers, at least here in CA, rather have us in front than behind. Out of sight, out of mind thing.

If it's the bolt, easy out is an option.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,022 Posts
I agree with scout, ditch the cat and get an aftermarket mid pipe and can, just drill the fucker out or easy out the thing like he said

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have extraction bits, just not a lot of room to use them.

To your points though, I have a mid-pipe and new hardware, so I think I'll just drill out from the cat side. There are no threads in the header flange, just the cat. I have more room to work on the cat side, so I think I can drill them out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, after another look, I have shit for room on the cat side. Will have to drill the heads off from the header side, being extra careful not to damage the header flange.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, those bolts are a real pita. If you have a small blow torch, try some more heat first on the thread area on the cat. You`ll need 2-3 times more heat than what you tried.
Use a small vise grip together with the allen bit if you have room. Otherwise you`ll have to drill and/or cut. Best to remove the header first. Good luck!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was trying not to remove the header, but the more time I spend under the bike, the more I want the thing sitting on my workbench.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,022 Posts
Wait, your bike has a flange between the header and the cat? That blows. My gen 1 and gen 5s didn't have that so I was unaware of it

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,022 Posts
Dremel can be your friend or a blowtorche but idk, I would be tempted to get a portaband and cut the flange off and go with a standard make female style joint setup but that's just me

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Glad you were able to get it, I used PB Blaster and every curse word in the book to get those damn bolts off lol. Probably one of the most pain in the ass things I've done myself to the bike lol but it's worth it in the end for that little bit of extra power and sound!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,022 Posts
So you wanted to change the collector portion. I fully missed that when u first asked. Where did you get the 2 into 1 portion you replaced it with?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you wanted to change the collector portion. I fully missed that when u first asked. Where did you get the 2 into 1 portion you replaced it with?
It's a DanMoto piece. Workmanship leaves a bit to be desired, but it did the job and lined up just fine. Wife got me a Revzilla gift certificate for my birthday, so I didn't really shop around and they had one.

Up and running with a new map now. Idles and revs nicely. Can't wait to ride it. Sounds great too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts