Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a source for a remote oil filter adapter that will fit a 05 ZX 10R. has anyone out there done this? if so where did you get the adapter?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I just thought you are probably racing the engine in a car. You may want to talk to 10rmotor. He has the engine in some kind of car. Maybe he can help ya out.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I just thought you are probably racing the engine in a car. You may want to talk to zx10motor. He has the engine in some kind of car. Maybe he can help ya out.
I think you mean 10rmotor on this site :dontknow: but yeah that would be the only reason I can see a need for that :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Beat ya to the correction. Haha. I had to go back and look it up. Thanks for double checkin me though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
the filter is roughly interchangeable with a wrx sti, the wrx filter is longer, but same threads and body. therefore the remote mount oil filter kit for that vehicle will work. The kits usually require a different filter to be used in the end, but will provide a remote mount option. I don't remember which model year filter it is though, so drop the 6 bucks and double check before you drop the 120 plus on the kit. I know my 06 didn't have a real oil cooler, so you might consider tossing an oil cooler into the works as well if you don't already have one. They also offer an adapter that allows you to take remote lines off of the filter base, and maintains the filter in roughly the same location, but you will have an oil outlet and return port to work off of. It's pretty much just a 1 inch spacer with holes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I did this recently on my race car. I bought two adapters from Peter D Motorsports. One bolted onto the engine and had 3/8" NPT to AN adapters and holders. I used the other one to make a remote oil filter housing that allowed me to reuse the stock oil filter mount and oil-to-water cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Last pic

Here's the remote location. It worked out well because it opened up the area where I was making a new header, I was able to leave the coolant plumbing similar to the stock bike, and oil filter changes are much easier and less messy.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
If thats your only method of oil cooling you're gonna have very high oil temps - the stock heat exchanger doesn't work for &hit. The bike guys don't know how high their temps are because they don't have a oil temp gauge. Also, you really should change your right angle hose end on the adaptor from a billet one to a tube end. Oil doesn't like to flow around right angle corners well - you're compromising the oil flow.

What size AN lines are those? Is that a low pressure facet pump I see in the fuel line?

I use the stock oil filter/heat exchanger mount, but I use a home made adaptor for the exchanger, and a modified spin on oil filter adaptor. The exchanger adaptor feeds an air/oil cooler and remote filter through -8 hoses, and the spin on OFA feeds a water/oil exchanger through -10 lines.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've got a decent size oil cooler in the left side pod, too.

The two main reasons I kept the stock oil filter & cooler are: 1) I had it in my hand and therefore it was free, 2) I could keep the stock water flow routing (I wasn't exactly sure what affect there might be if I plugged those lines. It probably would have been okay, but ...).

The remote oil filter lines are -8, I believe. That size hose's I.D. was a tiny bit larger than the ports.

Yes, that's a low pressure pump. It pumps into a can that feeds the high pressure pump.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The bike guys don't know how high their temps are because they don't have a oil temp gauge.QUOTE]

10rmotor,

Could you tell why knowing the oil temp is important??? I have many years as an aircraft mechanic and you made me think about it. We do not have eng oil temp indicators in the aircraft, but have it for transmission/gear box. Is eng temp indication not enough??? I know this indication is taken from the water cooling the engine.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
aircraft engines

i too worked on aircraft engines. most were dry sump so the oil was stored in an external tank. most had rather large oil coolers and massive amounts of oil. the b36 with pratt and whitney 4360 c in engine had a forty gal oil tank. also aircraft are flying at lower temps then auto are driving.

i will now execute some thermal covering for my hosees going from the engine to the oil filter. thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i will now execute some thermal covering for my hosees going from the engine to the oil filter. thanks.
That's probably a good idea, mostly to protect the rubber in the hose. The temperature delta between the oil and the exhaust area is probably not great, and the oil is constantly moving, so I don't think there is a big concern that the oil itself is going to suffer from the nearby heat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts