Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So the other night at the track I had a little incident and hit a big orange cone at the end of my race at about 140mph. Luckily I didn't go down and the only thing messed up was some plastics and my HIDs stopped working. Turns out the HID issue was a ballast that went bad.

However, while riding it home, I started hearing a noticeable buzzing noise coming from my relay assembly on the left side of the gas tank under the side plastic piece, which wasn't there before the incident. Everything else that is electronic, works fine.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be or what I should be looking for?

Here is the relay assembly for anyone who isn't familar.

Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for the big pics. I uploaded the attachments using the forum's tool.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,621 Posts
Have you verified the buzzing is actually coming from the box? The relay box contains the main ECU relay, fuel pump relay, fan relay, starter relay, and headlight relay. Turn the bike on, hold the relay box in your hand, and verify if the box is buzzing at all that you can feel, and if so, near which plug.

If the box is actually making a sound like that or you can feel it, then something internal went bad. The entire box would need replacing then.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you verified the buzzing is actually coming from the box? The relay box contains the main ECU relay, fuel pump relay, fan relay, starter relay, and headlight relay. Turn the bike on, hold the relay box in your hand, and verify if the box is buzzing at all that you can feel, and if so, near which plug.

If the box is actually making a sound like that or you can feel it, then something internal went bad. The entire box would need replacing then.
It was only a matter of time before I was graced with your input. Thanks man!:eek:ccasion1 Yes, I took off the side plastic piece where the relay box is and put my ear up to the box to verify that it is where the buzzing noise is coming from. I haven't pin pointed exactly which relay the noise is coming from but that will be the next task. I've already spent $650 on plastics. I hope this isn't another thing I have to buy. :sad:

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Mine did this as well. Verified it was the box vibrating in its mount it snaps in, from the motor running. A zip tie was a very quick fix.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Just saw the pics. Mine was the black relay box in front of the regulator, underneath the clutch side dash panel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Yeah, mine seems like it works fine. It's just the weird buzzing noise that is bothering me since I'm not used to hearing it before. Hopefully it gets figured out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine did this as well. Verified it was the box vibrating in its mount it snaps in, from the motor running. A zip tie was a very quick fix.
The buzzing doesn't sound like it is a result of the box buzzing against something. It sounds like it's coming from inside the relay box, almost like an electrical static type buzzing noise. :dontknow:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Click the link below. I was able to get a video/audio clip of the buzzing noise. You can hear the buzzing noise pretty much throughout the whole video, but you can hear it really good from about the 6-11 second mark. Maybe someone might know what it is now?

View My Video

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, still buzzing. Everything seems to be working fine, it's just buzzing. You can hear it in the video. Anyone want to lend me one to try out to see if it is the box, before I buy another one? lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mine was doing it . Did you remove all the useless fuse for the track? that was the cause
No I didn't. It's never done this before. Only until I hit the cone at the end did it start to make the buzzing noise. Thinking maybe something shorted out?

·
Registered
966 Posts
The buzzing doesn't sound like it is a result of the box buzzing against something. It sounds like it's coming from inside the relay box, almost like an electrical static type buzzing noise. :dontknow:
i just bought a '13 and almost immediately it made this buzzing sound, sorta sounds like a fuel pump or something. really weird. drove me freaking nuts at first but it doesn't do it all the time and the bike runs great 1400 miles and counting

1 - 20 of 24 Posts