Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to regear to a -1 front and +2 to +5 rear. What top speed losses can I expect? would it still be suitable for long rides on the highway? What is everyones thoughts on which setup would be best to regear to? thanks

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
-1,+5 is slightly more aggressive than -2,+2 which I run and I top out at 160ish. On freeway 90mph is abt 7-8k I think. if ur SWB I wouldn't recommend that aggressive of a setup bec ull flip in a heartbeat if ur not careful. This is more for 1/4mi

-1,+2 is great ull top at abt 175ish and the rpms aren't too much higher than stock at freeway speeds. this setup will wheelie better than stock but is still manageable at SWB

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I've ran -1/+2 on the last few sport bikes I've had and it's perfect for me :)

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
-1,+5 is slightly more aggressive than -2,+2 which I run and I top out at 160ish. On freeway 90mph is abt 7-8k I think. if ur SWB I wouldn't recommend that aggressive of a setup bec ull flip in a heartbeat if ur not careful. This is more for 1/4mi

-1,+2 is great ull top at abt 175ish and the rpms aren't too much higher than stock at freeway speeds. this setup will wheelie better than stock but is still manageable at SWB
:+1: If you are not stretched don't bother with -1/+5 gearing. You wont be able to use all the power in first and second gear because bike will want to flip over quick.
-1/+2 is a great gearing especially if you do a lot of high speed highway runs and stock wheel base.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi i went for +4 rear and it is a little higher gearing than -1+2, check gearingcommander. You get better wear than -1+2. you will need a longer chain. :eek:ccasion1

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Hi i went for +4 rear and it is a little higher gearing than -1+2, check gearingcommander. You get better wear than -1+2. you will need a longer chain. :eek:ccasion1
-1/+2 will work, usually, with stock chain. Almost always especially on gen2. If you have a semi worn chain and it is stretched from miles it will work. The gen1 guys are the ones that sometimes can't get it to work on stock chain sometimes. It worked on my gen2 but it was a tight fit.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
just a heads up from what Ive seen, +5 is slighty more gearing than -1/+2, whereas +4 is slightly less. Good change for sure though. You lose like an inch of WB with a +5 rear sprocket as well. I do 17/39 on the street and go to 17/44 on the track. Im also stretched out though, so that helps with the wheelie problem.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
lol no stretch and its what you want. Im happy with not wheelieing because I like the go fast in a straight line and all. wheelies should be no problem stock gearing with a Gen 1, so +5 should be great. Ive had the front end up come up on me at the strip, so SWB youll be gold.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2004 10r stock 17/39 went -1 +1 still with stock size chain using stock rear sprocket 40 tooth from later gen kawi and people still think its stock gearing.. i believe 08 or later gen 10r is 41 tooth.. most likely run that when i replace chain and sprocket set again.. foolin peps all da time n gobbles bikes up.. evryones geared bikes to ther likings dnt over kill it at first try.. even just -1 pulls great.. just rember ur spedo will b off wit change.. lol went in2 txt mode.. riding style n purpose with gearing..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts