Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I have a 2013 zx10r and the problem Im having is when the bike gets to about 170 degrees the red oil can light starts flash inconsistently. Now when I start to open the throttle the light will turn off. But if Roll of the throttle or pull in the and am at it comes one. What is this? Faulty wiring or what? Also what does the code E2E mean? When I run a self diagnosis that code comes up?:angryfire:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I cant find that code in the service manual at all. So on the throttle it goes away but off the throttle it comes on? Is the bike reacting any other way? Shuddering, sluggish or sounding weird?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,975 Posts
Uh, no. You need to STOP RIDING THE BIKE IMMEDIATELY. The red light with oil can symbol means you have low oil pressure! You will spin a connecting rod bearing very soon and trash your motor with this if you continue to run it.

The reason the light is flashing is because at idle, the oil pump is not spinning fast enough to produce the required oil pressure. When the speed is elevated, the pressure comes up and the light goes off. The problem is that if you don't maintain the oil pressure, the main and rod bearings will wear out and fail at speed. Seriously, you will trash your motor that requires a complete rebuild or replacement. You need to get into the motor and check the oil pressure, pickup screen, oil pump, etc. You may also have bearings that are worn and leaking already also which is causing the low oil pressure. Get it to the shop soon or start doing the work yourself. But every time from here out that you start the bike, you're doing damage.

The E2E code is for an ESD wiring fault. But this would be found with the FI symbol flashing and not the oil can symbol. So make sure that you are seeing a consistently flashing FI symbol and light with that issue versus an intermittent and inconsistant oil can symbol and light at idle. The two things are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and not related.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well now the oil pressure makes sense. I guess I have to get it into the then. Im not a mechanic at well I installed a new clutch pack in there but that's it. I bought the used with only 2800 miles on it. Ugh. I have been trying to figure it out but Think you hit the nail on head with the oil pressure possibility. I appreciate your help. If that's the issue how much would that run me ? First bike ever purchased and I only have had it for 3 weeks. What a pain. I literally have not ridden once without feeling like something is going to. Happen because of that light.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,975 Posts
Well now the oil pressure makes sense. I guess I have to get it into the then. Im not a mechanic at well I installed a new clutch pack in there but that's it. I bought the used with only 2800 miles on it. Ugh. I have been trying to figure it out but Think you hit the nail on head with the oil pressure possibility. I appreciate your help. If that's the issue how much would that run me ? First bike ever purchased and I only have had it for 3 weeks. What a pain. I literally have not ridden once without feeling like something is going to. Happen because of that light.

A new oil pump is about $60. But you have to pull the water pump and a bunch of other stuff to get to it, so tack on a couple hundred for labor. And I would pull the oil pan and check the pickup screen for blockage. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

It gets more expensive from there. A lot more. As dricked said, if you actually spin a bearing, it's about $1800 in posts and roughly another $2000 in labor. Or you buy a used motor for about $3000.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with it like this with such low mileage. That's not really normal.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, count with 3-4k expense with bearing fail. Have went through it with gen4, repair dimention bearing shells are not avaliable, therefore new crank etc, etc. And like Skydork said, don't start engine anymore before sorting it out.

Lets think what can be the root cause!
Can be more that one of the following:
*Low quality oil filter does not flow as it should. I use only OEM.
*Low quality or too thin oil. I use 10W40 only. Thiker W50 I would personally not run, because on my engine bearings were on tight limit (2012 bike)!
*There is abrasive action going on and bearing are already done.
*Oil pressure switch is out of tolerance and gives false alarm.
*Bad oil pump.
*Possible, but highly unlikely: bad pressure relief valve, manufacturing error causing oil leak inside engine.

Here is what I would do before even thinking to start engine:
*Drain oil, check for oil contamination.
*Pull oil pan, to see that there is no metal dust residues in corners, check relief valve in pan.
*Pull oil pump to see if all surfaces are smooth.
*New oil, new filter.

Important: Normally when oil is changed and no delay between draining oil, pressure primes quickly.
But your oil pump is dry, resistanse in filter is there and if pressure is not building up then youknow what happens.
At first start turn oil filter loose, that much that oil would spill out. Run engine with loose filter only for one seconds to not cause much mess.
Tighten filter, clean, staring again and see that oil level drops in window.

Kawa dealer could be able to measure oil pressure, but YOU make sure that boys at dealer do at least change oil, filter. Do they check that pressure primed? Probably not! I never trust nice official (car) dealer places, every other time they do something wrong in hurry. Worth a separated thread "got screwed by bad dealer's mechanics".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes because whoever put that clutch in there put the friction plates in wrong. I got the bike at 2800 and changed the clutch at about 3000 and used 10/40 Mobil 1 synthetic and k&n oil filter. Notsure what oil was in there before. Like I said the issue with the light was already happening when I bought the .bike. I bought it from next motorcycles.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes because whoever put that clutch in there put the friction plates in wrong. I got the bike at 2800 and changed the clutch at about 3000 and used 10/40 Mobil 1 synthetic and k&n oil filter. Notsure what oil was in there before. Like I said the issue with the light was already happening when I bought the .bike. I bought it from next motorcycles.
need to pull the pan and at least check the pick up screen.

if chunks of clutch pack are in the pan and clogging that screen likely problem

the chance the sender is bad is not likely if you pick up rpm and the light goes out.

Reactions: SkyDork
1 - 11 of 11 Posts