Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start the bike it turns over weak but fires right up. After the bike starts the display goes dark for a second then comes back on with the clock reset to 1:00. It just started doing it today, didn't ride it over the speed limit and it didn't get hot. It's an 09, slip on only.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
My 08 had a factory recall on the stator dont know if the 09 was involved in that also. If so was the recall done on your bike.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,635 Posts
The battery is the only thing that is used to start the bike. The stator/rectifier is used to charge the battery. If you have a starting issue, it's related to the battery.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense, I'll replace the battery since it's stock and go from there.. Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Before replacing the battery, get a voltmeter and check your bike's charging system. Read the battery voltage with the engine not running and ignition off. Should be 12.6 or better for a charged battery. Start the bike and the voltage should increase after 15-30 seconds. Rev to 3000 rpms and voltage should go to 14.3 to 14.5 volts. If not over 14 volts then your stator is probably fried. Only replace a battery if it won't take a charge. Charge it with car charger on 2amp mode for 5 to 6 hours. Battery may not be bad just isn't charged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts