Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I've been off the forums since parking my ZX10R back in October. But it's the downhill to spring and I'm really starting to get the itch. Especially with the Covid crap going on and the accompanying isolation and restrictions. But with only 6 weeks to go to being on the road, I'm starting to ponder what kind of mods, if any, I might want to do. A couple years back, I took some controversial video on my phone which got onto local television. Then, a couple of months ago, a production company from New York contacted me and said they would like to use my footage in a future documentary. They offered me $1000 US and I accepted. Didn't know if it would ever happen, but just the other day I got an email informing me that $1000 had been deposited in my paypal account. Cool! So, with this nice little bonus, maybe there is something I might like to do to enhance my bike, and that's where you guys come in. I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations etc. I bought the bike last September and discovered that it already had some mods, which include tinted windscreen, LED lights all around, After market Saddlemen's seat, Ohlins fork kit, BMC air filter, Yoshimura ceramic exhaust and an ECU flash. This is a 2012 Gen 4 with just over 7000 miles on it. So, please chime in. If you had an extra grand kicking around and wanted to use some or all of it for mods, what would they be, and why?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Well has the rear shock been uprated that would be money well spent as the front has been done. Or if you get a lighter set of wheels for a grand (i don't think so) that too would be big UP.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confirm ECU reflash, PC V and custom tune.
I don't know the specifics of the flash, but I do know that If the Traction Control is turned off, and I then turn off the bike and restart, it remains off. On a stock bike, it would default to TC 1.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You bought an Ohlins cartridge kit and didn't even know it? Score! A grand isn't going to go very far so I'd just throw a 5th Gen shock, 5th gen dog bone and 5th gen links onto the bike (an affordable but genuine upgrade) and a new chain + lower gearing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You bought an Ohlins cartridge kit and didn't even know it? Score! A grand isn't going to go very far so I'd just throw a 5th Gen shock, 5th gen dog bone and 5th gen links onto the bike (an affordable but genuine upgrade) and a new chain + lower gearing.
Ohlins fork kit was already installed when I bought it. Sprockets are 16/41

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
956 Posts
put The $1000 in the bank, the bike sounds sorted already. Failing that do the shock to match the forks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
put The $1000 in the bank, the bike sounds sorted already. Failing that do the shock to match the forks.
Hey Trebor27, nice of you to chime in. We exchanged a whole lot of posts back in the fall when I first purchased my ZX. You were VERY helpful! I think you're right. This bike is already pretty geared up. I'll consider the rear shock. Another option might be a good radar detector, give this beast's propensity to just want to go, and go faster, know what I mean?

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
956 Posts
Yes mate, I remember you and the the “dicover the upgrade“ thread well! 🤣 Good to see you are coming out of hibernation up there! 😂

I’ve since bought a “sensible road bike“ though.

I still have my zx-10r though, it’s not worth a lot in the market for a bike that’s as good as new. So I might as well be the one to demolish it on a track day!

@mte78 ‘s idea of a track day is a good one, though, don’t discount it too quickly! See if you find out any providers in your area and any tracks. You don’t have to be a racer to have a LOT of fun on one.

Rob

The sensible road bike!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts