Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket 'racey' road combo of discs and pads?

I currently have an '04 with braided hose and a Brembo MC.

I don't want to spend TOO much, but would like a nice upgrade from standard and ideally in 'Wavy' form, to match the stock look...

Thanks in advance!

Snotty

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you looked at the EBC Contoured Rotors with the HH Sintered pads? I know quite a few weekend warriors that use this set up on the track.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I had an issue with my galfer rotors, when I returned them for warranty (I used them for 3 race weekends when they started to feel warped, warranty is 1 year) they denied my claim saying I used a rotor hone and did the damage myself when all I did was lightly scuff them with sandpaper. I wouldn't buy their products again and quite frankly the rotors don't work much better than stock and aren't worth the money. My Braketech iron rotors with ferodo xrac pads however will lift the rear tire with ease.

·
Registered
381 Posts
First upgrade your rotors to 06+ and get spacers for your caliper bolts and longer bolts from a 06+. Then get some ebc pads. but thats if i recall correctly as the 04 having similar rotors to the 636. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had an issue with my galfer rotors, when I returned them for warranty (I used them for 3 race weekends when they started to feel warped, warranty is 1 year) they denied my claim saying I used a rotor hone and did the damage myself when all I did was lightly scuff them with sandpaper. I wouldn't buy their products again and quite frankly the rotors don't work much better than stock and aren't worth the money. My Braketech iron rotors with ferodo xrac pads however will lift the rear tire with ease.
Wow that sucks. I've learned if something breaks and is under warranty, don't mess with it. Same thing with electronics and everything else. Soon as you start trying to fix it, the warranty goes out the window.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Wow that sucks. I've learned if something breaks and is under warranty, don't mess with it. Same thing with electronics and everything else. Soon as you start trying to fix it, the warranty goes out the window.
But what if your just going to bed in new pads? We also had an issue with a galfer line and it was like pulling teeth to get it warrantied even though it was the internal line leaking on a brand new unit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
But what if your just going to bed in new pads? We also had an issue with a galfer line and it was like pulling teeth to get it warrantied even though it was the internal line leaking on a brand new unit.
How did you bed them? Most techniques I've seen involved actually driving with the rotors/pads. Warming them up and then braking from 60 a few times and then cooling them off

·
Chairman of the Board
16,057 Posts
Brembo/Brembo is what they use in World Superbike. I would think that would be a good combo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My favorite pads in order:

Galfer 1375
Vesrah SRJL ((ultimate stopping power a lot less pad life) or
RJL (if im looking for more pad life)

Performance Friction ( less initial bit than the above pads, but all the power or more, the hotter they get the better they work)

EBC HH nothing wrong with them, just not my favorite for feel

I have Galfer superbike rotors they are $$$$ though. I do not know many other good options for Rotors, i am sure a few members have tried some different stuff and can give some good adivce, but that is mine for pads!

·
Registered
360 Posts
First upgrade your rotors to 06+ and get spacers for your caliper bolts and longer bolts from a 06+. Then get some ebc pads. but thats if i recall correctly as the 04 having similar rotors to the 636. I could be wrong.
06 rotors. so you can go from 300mm to 310mm just by swapping rotors and putting spacers (washers) to move the rotors 5mm out?

I would think this could make a HUGE difference! My worry would be the extra load on the bolts being so far out.

anyone with experience on this one? I would love to know if it works!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not sure about it anymore. I remember on my 04 636 it had 280mm rotors and I upgraded them to 06+ which were 300mm and used 10mm spacers for the caliper. It worked great, but now im thinking maybe the 10R didn't get the 280mm rotors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
06 rotors. so you can go from 300mm to 310mm just by swapping rotors and putting spacers (washers) to move the rotors 5mm out?

I would think this could make a HUGE difference! My worry would be the extra load on the bolts being so far out.

anyone with experience on this one? I would love to know if it works!
Thanks a million, guys. Really appreciate it.

I was interested in the idea of 320mm rotors, but don't know if my bike is set up for them. I currently have Braking Wave discs on my '04 and seem to remember that HM Racing put some spacers in to make those work about 7 years ago.

Would these have been 320 spacers? And how would I find out?

The problem is that I'm currently living in Switzerland (where prices are crazy) and I wanted to order something quick to be delivered in the UK as I'm back in London next week...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I run the brake tech rotors and the ferodo zrac pads. That combo has the highest initial bite out of any combo I have tried, and I have tried a lot.

My galfer superbike rotors were ok. Nothing major in performance diff.

My brembo superbike rotors were shit. Got rid of them after 3 races.

My brake tech rotors were a immediate difference however. I am anxiously awaiting the CMC version.

I have also tried multiple brands and compounds of brake pads.

-SBS Dual carbon, is a nice easy hit of power, smooth but needs lots of heat. Very little life

- SBS HH - brutal, nothing positive to say

- Performance friction - not enough power. Initial bite was low

- Galfer 1375 - good pad considering it is a trackday pad. They fade once REALLY hot

- Galfer 1300 - Great pad. At $300.00 CND retail price, not really worth it but this is in my top 3 favorite pads

- Ferodo CP1 - huge power, not enough initial bite for me. Still great in the wet

- Ferodo XRAC - good initail bite. Strong power, I did get them to smear under Extreme heat on a hard braking track. Great pad.

- Ferodo ZRAC - THIS IS THE ONE. I love this pad. It has a monster initial bite. and has a great flat torque curve. This is my unicorn.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I run the brake tech rotors and the ferodo zrac pads. That combo has the highest initial bite out of any combo I have tried, and I have tried a lot.

My galfer superbike rotors were ok. Nothing major in performance diff.

My brembo superbike rotors were shit. Got rid of them after 3 races.

My brake tech rotors were a immediate difference however. I am anxiously awaiting the CMC version.

I have also tried multiple brands and compounds of brake pads.
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to pony up for the Braketech iron rotors on the race bike. They're expensive but if you want serious braking power those are the ticket but not sure how they work on the street.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I forgot to add that I am now running the 330mm Braketeck rotors. I have also put M4 calipers onto the bike, however I won't be able to test them until next month when we head south for our first race round in Chuckwalla. I will be using the same Ferodo ZRAC pads with the Brembo caliper

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to pony up for the Braketech iron rotors on the race bike. They're expensive but if you want serious braking power those are the ticket but not sure how they work on the street.

Do it. You wont regret it. They look great and the power is substantially different. It just has more bite, more friction. It requires less pull at the lever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts