Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This '08 is really a beast unlike the '04 that lofted the front wheel in first gear, this thing feels like it's going to keep coming up and over. It even comes off the ground in 5th at 120 mph. To make the situation worse, I should be getting my new chain and sprockets this week. I'm going -1 in the front.

The smaller sprocket will add some wheelbase but I was thinking I might need to add another link to extend it more. My question is; how far can I go before it's handling becomes affected? Should I stay with the 110 links or go to 112?

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tested out the front wheel again today after changing the oil in the damper to 40w. :badteeth: It's still squirrely as hell plus it leaks a little now. Maybe I overfilled. :headshake I think that might be my main complaint, the damper on the old bike was set pretty hard (about half way through the settings) and there was no squirelliness at all.

I'd still like some opinions on the wheelbase though.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
each length of chain will affect the handleing a little bit at higher speeds...one link you might not notice as bad as if you add 3 links

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
This '08 is really a beast unlike the '04 that lofted the front wheel in first gear, this thing feels like it's going to keep coming up and over. It even comes off the ground in 5th at 120 mph. To make the situation worse, I should be getting my new chain and sprockets this week. I'm going -1 in the front.

The smaller sprocket will add some wheelbase but I was thinking I might need to add another link to extend it more. My question is; how far can I go before it's handling becomes affected? Should I stay with the 110 links or go to 112?
Ahhhhh so ya ain't happy huh :wink:

Andy you'll most deffinately want to extend the wheelbase with the -1f install however i have no idea where the axle sits now hence that will dictate if there's enough wheelbase to add 2 links, if its at or near its shortest position (ie forward) then it should not be an issue adding 2 links but if its closer to the middle of the range perhaps not.:dontknow:

BD

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If you look at the Superbikes , they are substantially lowering the front of the 08 , maybe worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My 06 felt funny as hell with 30 weight, I can"t imagine weight.

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhhh so ya ain't happy huh

Andy you'll most deffinately want to extend the wheelbase with the -1f install however i have no idea where the axle sits now hence that will dictate if there's enough wheelbase to add 2 links, if its at or near its shortest position (ie forward) then it should not be an issue adding 2 links but if its closer to the middle of the range perhaps not.
Yes, there's plenty of room fortunately. It's not even to the 3rd line with the 110 chain.
Appreciate all the replies about handling, my fears have been alleviated. :eek:ccasion1

If you look at the Superbikes , they are substantially lowering the front of the 08 , maybe worth looking into.
I raised my forktubes 4mm hoping that would help, it didn't really. But it should help negate any handling changes that extending it will cause.

My 06 felt funny as hell with 30 weight, I can"t imagine weight
I tried 20w fork oil and that did next to nothing so I replaced it with the 40w. It feels better yet relatively useless.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
How many clicks off full stiff?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow you need that much help do ya:heyyou:

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new ones might be worse than the '06. You don't have your '08 yet to compare, do you?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The new ones might be worse than the '06. You don't have your '08 yet to compare, do you?
Not yet, it's sitting at the dealer. I'm picking it up mid April or so. I sat on my 08 and put the damper 3 clicks from full stiff (what I used to run the 06 at before the fluid change) and it felt really loose. I run 5 clicks from full stiff on the 06 after the change and it's ok, anymore and it's too tight and feels like it effects the steering too much. I do know that bleeding the damper was a bit time consuming as I wanted to make sure all air was out of the tube. I pumped for about 20 mins then pushed the piston all the way in and topped it up slightly so that as I tightened the nut down it would overflow just a wee bit. The oil I used was Motul medium/heavy fork oil.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
What you looking for?
If it stability then try for a longer chain. -1 front sprocket will help slightly for a longer wheelbase..
If your concern is headshake. Take some preload out from the rear, or go aftermarket for a stronger steering damper.
Keep in mind all of the above will create a slower turnin rate.
Also the 08 already has a long wheelbase.
Another area to look into, is to change your riding style. Perhaps you're still tensed up riding a brand new bike.

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After much riding, tinkering and scratching of my chin I've come to the conclusion that I need a real damper. The range on the stock piece is #1 setting (utterly useless)---#14 setting (slightly better than utterly useless). I think I'll get ahold of Ohlins and see what options I have, it should be cheaper than buying a new one.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The 06 damper had 18 clicks of adjustment with the only the last 4-5 clicks really doing anything.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
to give an idea, I replaced my standard Ohlins damper with an aftermarket Ohlins unit.
To compare the standard unit I had it on the max setting all the time. The aftermarket unit is on the lowest setting possible and had remained there ever since.
There is a massive difference between Kawasaki OEM spec and aftermarket spec.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Andy just send it out and get the needle replaced, there is a guy in Michigan that will replace it for about $75 if I remember right. He's an authorized Ohlins service centre. I have the website on my work PC if you want it.

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to give an idea, I replaced my standard Ohlins damper with an aftermarket Ohlins unit.
To compare the standard unit I had it on the max setting all the time. The aftermarket unit is on the lowest setting possible and had remained there ever since.
There is a massive difference between Kawasaki OEM spec and aftermarket spec.
I believe that. The Hyper Pro on the '04 is set at 5 clicks from soft and is far more firm than the Ohlins with the 40w that's set at 1 click from hardest.

ninja44 said:
Andy just send it out and get the needle replaced, there is a guy in Michigan that will replace it for about $75 if I remember right. He's an authorized Ohlins service centre. I have the website on my work PC if you want it.
Yeah if you could get that to me I'd appreciate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts