Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for my latest track day I decided to install a bunch of parts I had purchased and test them out at the track. The mods I installed were:
Attack race plastics
GPR damper
Pro Grips - Dual Compound
16T front sprocket - Z1000 sprocket
Vortex Rearset - adjustable
Stomp Grip
Dunlop Qualifier Sportmax GP 190/60 rear.

The Attack race plastics are top notch. The fitment is great and the quality is great. All the drill spots line up and no problems with installation. The downside is that on a California spec bike I would recommend not using them with the stock exhaust. I lined the lower fairing with heat reflective/resistant tape and the heat from the cats under the engine still caused bubbling on the outer surface of the lower fairing. And that was after 10 minutes of riding. I wonder what would have happened if I had ridden longer.

The GPR damper. If you read my other thread on some of the suspension issues I was having, I am glad I had the GPR installed. I am not sure the stock damper would have helped at all. I have used GPR dampers for a couple of years on other bikes and they work quite well.

The grips are good. Great fit on the stock bars. And they are way more comfortable than the stock grips. The dual compound is nice, soft where it needs to be soft and hard where it needs to be hard.

16T front sprocket. I really didn't notice that big of a difference in acceleration from the 17T sprocket. First gear was a bit shorted but other than that no big diff for me. This bike has so much useable power everywhere I guess it just depends on how where you ride it. Oh, for those interested in such things. The 16T front sprocket is for an Z1000, as was recommended by some on this board. The 16T Z1000 sprocket is actually heavier than the 17T stock sprocket. And noticeably so if you hold both at the same time.

Vortex adjustable rearsets. I would normally have gotten the Sato's but since these were $100 less than the Satos I figured I would give the Vortex a try. For track riding I like the Sato's better. The large knurling on the Vortex pegs is too much. I had to continually pick up my foot to move it around on the peg. Which was a bitch when trying to shift in a corner. Plus Sato rearsets are just a more refined product. The Vortex rearsets are cheaper and when compared to the Satos and you can see why. On the Vortex rearsets there is less attention to detail, no hydralic brake switch, no shift linkage for the shifting spindle (have to use the stock one), the super large knurling (some might like this), the heal plates are one piece with the peg mount so you can't easily install your own heal plates, the knob on the shift and brake levers are not adjustable to account for longer or short feet. The Vortex rearsets do mount up easily and are very solid.

Stomp grip tank pads. Good product. I don't really make much use of them much when on the track but they do protect the black paint quite nicely. And they give me poser points.

Dunlop 209GP tires. So far so good. Only have one track day on them. They were new when I rode them at the track and stuck very well. The front pushed a few times but that was most likely due to my crappy suspension setup. The rear had no problems. The tires hooked up all day long.

One final review. The 10R itself. It is a very easy bike to ride fast. Which can get you into a lot of trouble on the street. So take your 10R to the track. It loves it there.

Next mods are the performance mods.
Full Arrow race exhaust
PC III
Ohlins rear shock.
Rebuild of front suspension.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Cool, actually I put my stomp grips to great use on the track as it aids in not getting as fatigued. They help under heavy braking keeping you from sliding all over the tank as well as at full lean the outside leg grips better and does not slide around and it makes holding on better.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
zx10ragentblack said:
Cool, actually I put my stomp grips to great use on the track as it aids in not getting as fatigued. They help under heavy braking keeping you from sliding all over the tank as well as at full lean the outside leg grips better and does not slide around and it makes holding on better.
:+1:
...a necessity on a track bike.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
booken said:
16T front sprocket. I really didn't notice that big of a difference in acceleration from the 17T sprocket. First gear was a bit shorted but other than that no big diff for me. This bike has so much useable power everywhere I guess it just depends on how where you ride it. Oh, for those interested in such things. The 16T front sprocket is for an Z1000, as was recommended by some on this board. The 16T Z1000 sprocket is actually heavier than the 17T stock sprocket. And noticeably so if you hold both at the same time.
Hmmm, interesting, never thought about this before ordering my 16t. It sounds like a bad thing but whoever buys 16t gives positive feedback on it so mustn't be that bad.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hattori Hanzo said:
Hmmm, interesting, never thought about this before ordering my 16t. It sounds like a bad thing but whoever buys 16t gives positive feedback on it so mustn't be that bad.
It isn't bad it just wasn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. I don't do wheelies and I don't drag race. I do a lot of track riding and I wanted to be able to get keep the bike in higher gears. Even at Big Willow, I never got the bike into 6th with the 16T front gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts