Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been spectating this site for a while now and finally decided to post up my problems. I have an 04 zx-10r with less than 7k. I wenT down last April I got lucky but "charizard" took a huge hit. So I'm gathering PArts to start my building process. The bike turns on thanks to my sliders it saved my engine. I'm gonna need all farings a new gas tank and complete front end. There are some parts that I don't know the name of which is where all you guys come in. Please stay posted for pictures and thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check your valves!

While having your bike in pieces, do a valve check. Mine has 2,500mi, and had cracked retainers. Major issue$$$. Check out my pics.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
While having your bike in pieces, do a valve check. Mine has 2,500mi, and had cracked retainers. Major issue$$$. Check out my pics.

I dont want to sound like a jerk or anything, but he has an 04, looks like you have a 2nd gen for starters. Secondly (and i dont know everything) but i have been here long enough, and done enough reading i dont think that cracked retainers is at all a "common" problem on these bikes, or worthy of calling it a major issue.

To the OP, post up the pics and will be glad to help you in any way we can. There are a lot of very intelligent people on the board and i have found most of them to be incredibly helpful.

All that said, welcome to the site :badteeth::badteeth:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I dont want to sound like a jerk or anything, but he has an 04, looks like you have a 2nd gen for starters. Secondly (and i dont know everything) but i have been here long enough, and done enough reading i dont think that cracked retainers is at all a "common" problem on these bikes, or worthy of calling it a major issue.

To the OP, post up the pics and will be glad to help you in any way we can. There are a lot of very intelligent people on the board and i have found most of them to be incredibly helpful.

Think you meant "isn't" at all a Common problem and agree from my readings.....but I think Tacklebox99 was just saying since everything is apart check everything out and agree...do a valve check clearance and check the retainers at the same time...easy to do when everything is apart. :wink:

:+1:eek:n the PICs....I think we have it covered on this site on almost anything the OP doesn't know about what is needed for repair/replacement/identification. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
165 Posts

My retainers were cracked at 6500mi on my 05. There have been a few on hear that have had to replace them. They are cast AL and are a week point to these bikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I said major issues, I didn't mean to sound like it was a common issue. But I have found it to be common enough to be worth taking a look. After all, bad retainers can lead to some serious problems. Kawi seems to have upgraded the part on the 3rd gens. Mine's an '06.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just for info does the 3rd gen have bad retainers also, or did they fix them?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I do see what you are saying Tacklebox and do agree its worth the check if its apart, i just didnt want ya to scare the pants off the guy either LOL. I didnt get my point out there very well i guess either. Thank you Blue for making it more user friendly, definatly no hard feeling Tacklbox, i wasnt trying to sh$t on you in any way shape or form, and sorry for my poor post.

Magma get some pics up here and lets see what you got

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
:eek:t: But Tacklebox....

Did you get that name because you have all kinds of piercings in your face.

The reason I say that is I know a kid with all that stuff in his face and I call him

tacklebox cause he has more shit in his face that a tacklebox.

No disrespect, just curious.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As promised here are the pics. Go ahead and comment. I know it's bad but I've seen worse. I think my main issue will be with the front brake everything Else I think I can handle. I've taken my bike apart before.

this is how I got my bike back

and just for kicks here are some pics of my helmet after the wreck

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Ouch, that looks rough. You got some work ahead of you buddy.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
ouch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im in no hurry at all since summers over. Even though Vegas is nice to ride year round I don't want to take any short cuts this has to be done right. Plus I'm still healing.

·
Team Green Baby!
2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
1,519 Posts
Wow, I see you're feeling ambitious :lol:...were you insured? I would of done an insurance claim. The bike looks like a totaled loss.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is the frame okay? It even looks bent up in one pic. I give you credit for starting with such a rough wreck...hope she comes together well and rides good for you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The frame swingarm and forks are fine. No cracks on welds or anything. It isn't warped or twisted. I just saw ninjers bike. Let's everyone try and convince him to sell it to me it's got everything I need hahaha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts