Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my wheels to a shop to get the tires swapped yesterday, they did tire and balance. Went to reinstall my rear wheel today and couldn't get the axle in.

Looked to see what was stopping it, and the inner collar isn't aligned with the bearings/oil seals anymore. Is this collar free floating? I tried to move it back into position with the rubber coated handle of some pliers, but nothing in there moves easily, and I don't want to use excessive force without knowing what I'm doing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Google drive folder w/ pics (size too big to attach)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Ifv-exTi8_cWJaSXU5d3dldUE

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
The only thing holding that in is the tension of it pinched between the 2 bearings. You'll have a hard time moving it on just one end. Try inserting the axle from the other side and use a rubber mallet to coax it into position. Not too hard though. You can also try going through the big holes in the wheel hub to hit it on center.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Well I'm an expert at this and for one reason I do that rear all the time. All of the following has to be done or your step will fail. You need two 2.x4's stacked under the wheel. Get the sprocket in making certain that the bushing stays in place and THEN make certain the sprocket is all the way in...and it make take a bit of pushing, gently. Collars in place with fat one on the left and I think I put the fat side next to the bearing. Wheel in place and load the chain. Load up the brake and this is where the collar dorks off unless you do the above AND make sure that wheel is straight up. eyeball it. Work at getting that brake hole next to that collar and brake pads loaded on the disc. ONCE YOU GET THE BRAKE HOLE STARTED PAST THE COLLAR THE LIGHT IS ON. Then install axle FROM THE LEFT, gently, until it stops. NOT DONE YET. It will stop either on the brake hole or the frame. LOOK to see what is stopping the axle and make adjustments by pushing brake hole or lifting tire, etc, objective it to line up the stuff to get the axle thru.

Hope this helps. No way will you get that wheel on without the TWO 2x4's as you must have the 3 inches to lift a 50 tire high enough to line up the axle. 55's will be a bit easier but both are no big deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts