Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the sprocket side bearings to not have a seal?(yes I know the spacer seals it off) The rotor side bearings are sealed. Bike only had 7500mile I wouldn't think someone would even touch the bearings yet. It's not like it can magically pop off if it actually gets a cover. Thanks

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
Looks normal to me.. besides I would put some fresh grease in there. Like you said the spacer seals it off. invest in some captive spacers also.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks normal to me.. besides I would put some fresh grease in there. Like you said the spacer seals it off. invest in some captive spacers also.
Larger i.d. is inserted and the smaller id is facing up and or outside of wheel correct? I'm having a rough day thanks for your patience

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant thinker wall is inserted and smaller wall thickness faces outside of wheel correct?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I meant thinker wall is inserted and smaller wall thickness faces outside of wheel correct?

Its the opposite of that picture as far as I remember but my memory is shot. The inside circle that fits the axle goes towards the outside / swing arm as far as I remember. But a easy way to find out is take it out and see which side is polished from the wheel turning and seal rubbing on it, that side goes into the seal :wink2:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the opposite of that picture as far as I remember but my memory is shot. The inside circle that fits the axle goes towards the outside / swing arm as far as I remember. But a easy way to find out is take it out and see which side is polished from the wheel turning and seal rubbing on it, that side goes into the seal :wink2:
I put the thicker wall in and it matched flush with inside diameter of bearing.. smaller walled Outside matched id of adjuster block. This makes logical sense to me. Somebody confirm this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I put the thicker wall in and it matched flush with inside diameter of bearing.. smaller walled Outside matched id of adjuster block. This makes logical sense to me. Somebody confirm this?

The red arrow is a spacer on the other side (hub drive spacer???) the green arrow is the inside of the bearing. The wheel spacer is designed to rest against the bearing and give clearance to the spacer on the other side so they hold the hub bearing tight together when the wheel is tightened Pictures are off ebay for illustration :dontknow: someone else will chime in.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, this spacer that is between the swingarm and bearing that is freely inserted in. One end is thicker walled and the other is smaller thickness walled but larger id.. The rotor side the spacer only for in over way this side can go either
or... Unless it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
101 Posts
No, this spacer that is between the swingarm and bearing that is freely inserted in. One end is thicker walled and the other is smaller thickness walled but larger id.. The rotor side the spacer only for in over way this side can go either
or... Unless it doesn't matter?

:BangHead::BangHead:
The spacer with the red arrow pointing to it in the first picture goes the opposite way as shown in that picture to accommodate the spacer on the other side of the hub that the green arrow points to in the 2nd picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So confused... The rotor side only goes in one way. The bushing fits flush with the I'd of the bearing when pressed in. What your saying is on the sprocket side the spacer side with larger id goes in against bearing (which would cause a lip and wouldn't for flush I'd wise with bearing) I don't understand why that is correct? Did I explain that correctly?

·
Registered
101 Posts
So confused... The rotor side only goes in one way. The bushing fits flush with the I'd of the bearing when pressed in. What your saying is on the sprocket side the spacer side with larger id goes in against bearing (which would cause a lip and wouldn't for flush I'd wise with bearing) I don't understand why that is correct? Did I explain that correctly?

Yes you did and you get what I am saying. Logically figure this out. the inside of the bearing has to be fastened to something so it don't move and the balls ride on that stationary round. it is free to move on the axel so how are you going to fasten the inside of the bearing so the balls can ride on it. Figure this out and it will make sense to you. I can't explain it in writing its hard :laugh2:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a gen 4... If you look up farther in post I have it the same way the gentleman that posted. Larger inside diameter facing out, smaller Id larger wall in that support bearing flush id wise.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes you did and you get what I am saying. Logically figure this out. the inside of the bearing has to be fastened to something so it don't move and the balls ride on that stationary round. it is free to move on the axel so how are you going to fasten the inside of the bearing so the balls can ride on it. Figure this out and it will make sense to you. I can't explain it in writing its hard :laugh2:
So this is correct? It only makes against bearing not the inside Id shaft part. And the outside id accommodates to hold axle shaft. If this is correct say yes lol. So thick headed thanks for your help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So this is correct? It only makes against bearing not the inside Id shaft part. And the outside id accommodates to hold axle shaft. If this is correct say yes lol. So thick headed thanks for your help.

That looks right, this way both sides are clear to press against the bearing's inner race to hold the inner race in place and not roll so the ball bearings can ride on the stationary inner race. Someone correct this if it is not so cuz I am an amateur at best. Again both sides work together to hold the inner race of the bearing stationary and aligned. The other way the spacer will just push against that "shaft part" and the bearing's inner race will get a chance to spin and move.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks right, this way both sides are clear to press against the bearing's inner race to hold the inner race in place and not roll so the ball bearings can ride on the stationary inner race. Someone correct this if it is not so cuz I am an amateur at best. Again both sides work together to hold the inner race of the bearing stationary and aligned. The other way the spacer will just push against that "shaft part" and the bearing's inner race will get a chance to spin and move.
Also made logical sense the id and od of both the outsides of both spacers match in size.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Final outcome: bearing does not have cover on sprocket side and the spacers for both the sprocket side and rotor side must have the same od and id facing out. Problem solved. Thanks all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts