·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys use?

markers on the swingarm
motion pro alignment tool
any way

because the swingarm is not flat on that part, so I can use a caliper and measure like I did with the gixxer.

thanks

·
Registered
642 Posts
Personally I do not trust swing arm markings although some people do.

Some people try to align motor/sprockets I align front and rear tire
every time I remove the rear wheel, I want my front and rear tires
aligned and then only move same number of flats on each side when adjusting.

It's kinda of a modified string method using 8' florescent light tubes
bungee corded to the rear wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
I measure from center of swing arm pivvot to center of rear wheel spindle. As long as bike is not bent this should be perfect

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
swing arm markings are excellent must eyeball through the axle then look at the marks then check again after tightening the nut. If you use cotter pin and over tighten THEN you must check alignment after tightening nut as over torquing that nut forces OUT of alignment. No reason to do anything else.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, if you use the cotter pin, you do not need to go far on the torque, just enough...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Under / Over torquing? Do you not use a torque wrench and torque to the recommended torque setting?

One thing I do on all my bikes, is make sure the axle nut is on the right side. not the left. Seems some come one way left side and some come on the right side.

I always switch axle around to right side only. That way when torquing the axle nut
you are pushing forward on the adjusters instead of pulling axle away from adjusters. That's just me though. :dontknow:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,732 Posts
I also have the Rhino alignment tool along with the Pro Alignment tool. I only use the Rhino tool to measure how far out of whack the swing arm notches are and then use those for the vast majority of putting it back on there. For the most part, the Rhino tool confirms that the swingarm marks are pretty darn close. The Motion Pro tool is no better in my opinion than the swingarm marks and is only as good as the lighting in the work area and your calibrated eyeballs. It will show gross misalignment, but that's about it.

Reactions: scout

·
Registered
481 Posts
I switched to lightech chain adjusters and I can say they are awesome and it makes things very easy to line it up.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts