Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally had a chance to get the zx10 on the track yesterday, and it seemed to work fairly well, aside from the rear tire slipping EVERYWHERE. I'll be headed to Brainered International Raceway next weekend, so I'd really like to get this resolved soon.

Had several instances mid/mid to late corner, when light on throttle right after apex, where tire would like to brake loose and "kick out" slightly (enough to feel/hear/and pucker up). Started tire pressure at 31psi cold, then dropped to 28psi cold, then to 26psi cold. Problem remained, if anything seemed to get slightly worse (or I was just picking up speed as the day went on)

After looking at the rear shock, I think the preload may be set way to stiff for my weight. Also, compression may be set too stiff? Picture at the bottom.

Me:
Done 3-4 track days, fast intermediate group
160lbs without gear

Bike:
07 ZX10R
mostly stock (pipe, filter, tune, -1 +2)
stock suspension
Newish Pilot Power 3's - no warmers

Suspension setup:

Front Sag: 42mm
Rear Sag: 35mm
Fork Preload: 6 lines showing
Fork Rebound: 7 clicks
Fork Compression: 8 clicks
Shock Rebound: 1.5 turns
Shock Compression: 3 turns

Pictures of the tire and rear shock preload:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
There are a couple of guys on this forum that are better than I am at this, but I’ll toss in what I do know;

Tires – a suspension tuner recently gave me advice at my trackday; drop 2psi at a time until you feel the rear slipping out, then go 2psi back up and you are set. You might have been adding pressure when you should have been dropping.

Suspension – if the spring preload feels about right in general then;
if the bike feels loose/bouncy INCREASE Rebound damping
if the bike feels hard/bumpy (and in your case sliding out) then DECREASE rebound damping

from what you described I’d say your issue was PSI

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Could be the PP3's their a good street tire an adequate track day tire but if you begin to push them they will spinup. Biggest knock on Michelin tires is that they give you no warning before losing grip where as Dunlop and Pirelli will give you some warning they are close to the edge. Since their newish you probably dont want to scrap them but try something different next set you buy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like your rear is too high putting the weight forewards on the bike. I would try and get to 30mm of sag in the front which should help put some weight on the rear tire. What height are your front forks compared to the triple clamps.
The forks stick above the upper triple about 4mm.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be the PP3's their a good street tire an adequate track day tire but if you begin to push them they will spinup. Biggest knock on Michelin tires is that they give you no warning before losing grip where as Dunlop and Pirelli will give you some warning they are close to the edge. Since their newish you probably dont want to scrap them but try something different next set you buy.
I had thought that too, but with how stiff the rear suspension feels, I don't think it's the case. It wasn't spinning when I was hard on the throttle in the exits, it was more toward apex with lighter throttle. I can push my r6 with q3's much harder, and it still has stock suspension from 1999.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I would try putting your forks flush and get less sag on the forks.

Also a 600 is much harder to spin up compared to a 1000.

My suspension feels like a rock until you get up to speed but I don't think that's your issue. I had too much rear ride height last year at one point and the rear would spin quite easily but because you haven't/can't change your rear shock length I'm thinking it's your front. Talk to a suspension tuner to help you with the geometry issue.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Added preload to the front (went from 7 lines showing to 5), and backed out the shock rebound and compression just a little. Went for a spirited ride quick, and with the few corners that are near me, it seemed to feel better. Braking was much nicer, too, didn't seem to have quite as much front end dive (but still some).
Couldn't seem to get the rear to spin, even on a bumpier surface. Guess I'll just leave it as is until I get to the track, and adjust from there as necessary.

Thanks for the help guys! Any more suggestions are certainly welcome!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might want to put the forks back down a bit closer to their stock position. The 06-07 had some geometry issue's if you pulled the forks up to much.
I had them flush for the longest time, but the thing hated turning in. Maybe I'll try raising the front a tad, and loosen up my steering damper. (it's stock and pretty much maxed out)

·
Crash Test Dummy
820 Posts
I'm gunna say tires. If your front of the pack intermediate/advanced the pp3s just aren't gunna cut it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
How much free sag do you have in the rear? By your description of handling it "sounds" like you could possibly have too much installed preload and it's keeping the shock from moving causing your tire spin.

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
pp3 spins, and far more than the reg pp. And that's why I can get almost 3k on them. Just change to q3's and don't touch the suspension until after you test them. Also, the q3 front wants more flick slam than the pps, (meaning I now twist both grips on the flick) so have to get used to that and then it will be well. Nice how the g4 handles the spin though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pp3 spins, and far more than the reg pp. And that's why I can get almost 3k on them. Just change to q3's and don't touch the suspension until after you test them. Also, the q3 front wants more flick slam than the pps, (meaning I now twist both grips on the flick) so have to get used to that and then it will be well. Nice how the g4 handles the spin though.
Hmm, good to know as well. Haven't seen many reviews on the pp3's. Maybe I'll see if I can find some take offs for this weekend or something :idea:

·
Registered
474 Posts
This is from a mild day in the twisties. I have serious issues hooking up right now and am working on dialing in my geometry, Front an rear comp/reb are fine just need my forks, shock height dialed in. So far best results about 2-3 mm exposed fork above tripple clamps. Going to try a few mm shim on the rear with less for exposed next.

Dunlop q3

1 - 20 of 42 Posts