Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a bit of a nuisance. I got a fucking thumbtack right in the middle of my tire. Michelin Power Roads 2ct. Well the leak is very slow. I'm talking about 15-20 lbs a week max. I would just air it up before riding if I needed to.

Well I wanted to see how this would affect it so I put a tiny bit of fix-a-flat in it. Maybe like 1/8th of a can, just to see if it would seal the leak, since it was such a tiny leak. I rode immediately after putting it in the tire and it seemed to ride fine, no problems, just like before when I would just let it leak slowly. Not to fear safety-heroes, I will be replacing this tire very soon.

On to my point; Could I keep it as a back up? Should I have it patched (after removing the gunk from the fix a flat)? Should I trash it?

I don't really have any particular question, I just want to see what you guys think of this.

·
Registered
801 Posts
60 watt soft white. I love lamp

·
Registered
801 Posts
Awe, I just changed my smile! :lol: I had no real input, so I figured I would just make an open ended post like you. Personally, if the tire has a lot of tread left, I would just keep it as a spare. I've heard of a few people that ride on patches. Hell, I've heard of the occasional who have plugged their tire :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there's at least 2-3k left on those tires (they last a realllly long time)

what i dont get is why people keep a tire as a spare. why not just ride it out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
well if it was only a thumbtack i would keep as a spare/back up or just abuse it :mrgreen:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
If it's not leaking any more, no worries, just watch it like a hawk in case it starts leaking again. I don't see the purpose of spending the money to use it as a spare - just ride it until it's done.

If it's still leaking with the fix-a-flat and you can find the exact location of the leak, you could do an external patch (10 bucks at Canadian Tire around here for a kit that will fix several of them) but I wouldn't be doing any top speed runs after doing something like that. I've ridden on tires with an external patch for a few thousand kilometers and it was never an issue.

If it can't be fixed, you now have an excuse for doing a huge burnout :lol:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well if it was only a thumbtack i would keep as a spare/back up or just abuse it :mrgreen:
well i definitely already abuse it, but if you guys think it's all good to just keep riding on it then i will and i'll save that 150 bucks.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's not leaking any more, no worries, just watch it like a hawk in case it starts leaking again. I don't see the purpose of spending the money to use it as a spare - just ride it until it's done.

If it's still leaking with the fix-a-flat and you can find the exact location of the leak, you could do an external patch (10 bucks at Canadian Tire around here for a kit that will fix several of them) but I wouldn't be doing any top speed runs after doing something like that. I've ridden on tires with an external patch for a few thousand kilometers and it was never an issue.

If it can't be fixed, you now have an excuse for doing a huge burnout :lol:
:lol:!
i rarely go above 100 anyways. around here the highways are littered with cops and the twisties are 1st-3rd only.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've been guilty of using a plug in a tire once before. I just jammed the sucker in there and burned the plug and til this day has held air right to the PSI. I would put one of those patches that has a tail on it, the ones that install inside the tire and you pull it through toward the outside. There's no way it will ever leak again with one of those.

·
Registered
801 Posts
there's at least 2-3k left on those tires (they last a realllly long time)

what i dont get is why people keep a tire as a spare. why not just ride it out?
Would you rather keep a tire with a thumbtack in it, or something with an m10 sized bolt through it? Some damaged tires are "safer" than others. In your case, I would do as nick says and beat the tar off it, or just ride it out safely. I'd use it for transportation, but wouldn't push it to the limits. Another thing about the fix-a-flat, it can place weight unevenly in the tire and cause your wheel to be unbalanced.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have used a patch plug (goes inside tire) for over a 1000 miles with no problems. I'm showing treads now and finally got another tire to put on. Patch plug is the way to go. And yes I tested at full throttle/speed multiple times.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would you rather keep a tire with a thumbtack in it, or something with an m10 sized bolt through it? Some damaged tires are "safer" than others. In your case, I would do as nick says and beat the tar off it, or just ride it out safely. I'd use it for transportation, but wouldn't push it to the limits. Another thing about the fix-a-flat, it can place weight unevenly in the tire and cause your wheel to be unbalanced.
yeah i thought about that, that's why i rode it immediately, but i did not notice any issues while riding.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Man that sucks
I have a small slit in my rear tire that I got from what I have no ideas prob a stone or something but i have dug at it and looked inside and cant find anything, but it still bothers me that its there LOL. , but I had another spot like that before that was bigger and I just took it out and smoked the tire for a few feet and melted that rubber back together so to speak LOL, but ive been checking my tire pressure alot and sprayed soapy water on it and filled the tire up to around over 40psi and did not see any bubbles from it.. so i think it should be good, but If i had a small hole like yours id get one of them patches that go inside like everyone says, by the way where can you find those type with the tails to pull through?? Id like to have some just incase...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont know where to find those,

everyone's is worse than mine, so hopefully i don't go down!

anyways, i put about 40psi in it 24 hours ago after the fix a flat and it hasn't gone down even one psi. i'm stoked!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
i have used a patch plug (goes inside tire) for over a 1000 miles with no problems. I'm showing treads now and finally got another tire to put on. Patch plug is the way to go. And yes i tested at full throttle/speed multiple times.
:+1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts