Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few posts regarding people saying that the " proper tire " to use should be a 190/55/17 ... but the OEM tire is a 190/50/17 ..

What I don't understand is WHY the 55 is supposed to be the correct size? :dontknow:

I currently have a 120/70/17 PP front, and a 190/50/17 PP in the rear... I really like the PP's but since they currently don't have an offering for 55 series then I would consider using a different tire in the rear like the Continentals that are available in the 55 series but I'm still not convinced as to what benefit I would gain from doing that ? :dontknow:

- Thanks !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
fordfasterr said:
I have read a few posts regarding people saying that the " proper tire " to use should be a 190/55/17 ... but the OEM tire is a 190/50/17 ..

What I don't understand is WHY the 55 is supposed to be the correct size? :dontknow:

I currently have a 120/70/17 PP front, and a 190/50/17 PP in the rear... I really like the PP's but since they currently don't have an offering for 55 series then I would consider using a different tire in the rear like the Continentals that are available in the 55 series but I'm still not convinced as to what benefit I would gain from doing that ? :dontknow:

- Thanks !
55 is stock size on 06 10R. I'm not sure about the 04/05, but I'm thinkin' the stock size is a 50.

D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
the 04,5 10's came with a 190/50 rear where as the 06 came with a 190/55 so perhaps you misunderstood the posts/threads you read :dontknow:

anyway your fine using the 190/50 so no worries however what the 190/55 profile gives is a taller sidewall which in turn raises the rear, gives a larger contact patch at full lean angles, aids in quicker transition side to side and more compliant.

BD
 

·
Yankee Racer
Joined
·
14,838 Posts
Big Daddy said:
the 04,5 10's came with a 190/50 rear where as the 06 came with a 190/55 so perhaps you misunderstood the posts/threads you read :dontknow:

anyway your fine using the 190/50 so no worries however what the 190/55 profile gives is a taller sidewall which in turn raises the rear, gives a larger contact patch at full lean angles, aids in quicker transition side to side and more compliant.

BD
:+1: what he said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Big Daddy said:
the 04,5 10's came with a 190/50 rear where as the 06 came with a 190/55 so perhaps you misunderstood the posts/threads you read :dontknow:

anyway your fine using the 190/50 so no worries however what the 190/55 profile gives is a taller sidewall which in turn raises the rear, gives a larger contact patch at full lean angles, aids in quicker transition side to side and more compliant.

BD
Exactly....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
fordfasterr said:
I have read a few posts regarding people saying that the " proper tire " to use should be a 190/55/17 ... but the OEM tire is a 190/50/17 ..

What I don't understand is WHY the 55 is supposed to be the correct size? :dontknow:

I currently have a 120/70/17 PP front, and a 190/50/17 PP in the rear... I really like the PP's but since they currently don't have an offering for 55 series then I would consider using a different tire in the rear like the Continentals that are available in the 55 series but I'm still not convinced as to what benefit I would gain from doing that ? :dontknow:

- Thanks !
The powers do come in a 55...They are 180/55's which is whay I have been using for the past year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
Big Daddy said:
the 04,5 10's came with a 190/50 rear where as the 06 came with a 190/55 so perhaps you misunderstood the posts/threads you read :dontknow:

anyway your fine using the 190/50 so no worries however what the 190/55 profile gives is a taller sidewall which in turn raises the rear, gives a larger contact patch at full lean angles, aids in quicker transition side to side and more compliant.

BD
Would the 55 rub against my hugger.
 

·
Yankee Racer
Joined
·
14,838 Posts
mach_man_187 said:
The powers do come in a 55...They are 180/55's which is whay I have been using for the past year.
yeah Bob, the thought of using a 180 on a liter bike kinda scares me though for sure:badteeth:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
conspiracy said:
Would the 55 rub against my hugger.
I added 3 links when I changed out the chain. I don't know if a 55 with the stock chain will hit or not.

Running the 180 is not scary, JJ.....You just need to have some throttle control..Which I know you have!!!
 

·
Yankee Racer
Joined
·
14,838 Posts
mach_man_187 said:
I added 3 links when I changed out the chain. I don't know if a 55 with the stock chain will hit or not.

Running the 180 is not scary, JJ.....You just need to have some throttle control..Which I know you have!!!
yeah i know bob, by why sacrifice contact path and the fact that you cant hammer it as hard out of a corner with a 180??? The 190 just gives yah that much more tire so you can give it more throttle on exit and leave every one in the dust.:thumbsup: :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
As a rider I am confused if a 190/55 tyre worth the hype or not. On one hand the tyre manufacturers start bringing out this size on the other hand major sportsbike manufacturers like Suzuki and Yamaha are still sticking with 190/50 in their 07 models :dontknow: I got 190/50 PPs on my bike and from a street riding point of view, I don't think I could tell the difference if I bought a 190/55. Still hard to be sure without testing them back to back though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
Hattori Hanzo said:
As a rider I am confused if a 190/55 tyre worth the hype or not. On one hand the tyre manufacturers start bringing out this size on the other hand major sportsbike manufacturers like Suzuki and Yamaha are still sticking with 190/50 in their 07 models :dontknow: I got 190/50 PPs on my bike and from a street riding point of view, I don't think I could tell the difference if I bought a 190/55. Still hard to be sure without testing them back to back though.
Well mang, admittedly it may be hard to tell the diff on the street, especially if you're changing vendors, tyre models, and sizes all at the same time. I plan on trying both the 190/50 2CT, and the 190/55 2CT when they're available, just to see for meself.....

D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
I have a 190/55 on my 05 and it does NOT rub the hugger at all.. It has about 1/2" gap with a brand new tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
colinmitchell111 said:
I have a 190/55 on my 05 and it does NOT rub the hugger at all.. It has about 1/2" gap with a brand new tire.
How does it ride compared to the 50 series tires ? ??

Also, what brand/model did you have before, and what brand/model do you have now ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
I have a '06 and I went from a 55 to a 50 and the bike handles totally different in terms of entering and exiting a corner. I feel myself putting more effort into not lean too far in a curb because the bike wants to lean more. On the 55 the bike didnt lean anymore than I wanted it to lean. Took some getting use and its been 3 months and I still find myself puttin more into not leaning to far. As soon as I find a 55 I am swapping it out. Stick with what the bike came with. I would go from 50 to 55 but definately not from a 55 to a 50. Just remove the hugger. The '06 didnt come with a full hugger. Who needs a hugger? I dont - serves no purpose. Anthing on my vehicles that serve no purpose comes off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
fordfasterr said:
How does it ride compared to the 50 series tires ? ??

Also, what brand/model did you have before, and what brand/model do you have now ?

I have the Conti sport attacks.. I had the stcok 218's before. The biggest difference is the bike wants to fall over quicker. I catch myself cutting corners shaper now because it turns more quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
YEs the 190/55 will fit without removing the hugger.

IMO The 190/55 gives you the best of both worlds, quicker turn in due to the taller size and still retains the width for more of a contact patch.....So go with the 190/55 you will not be dissapointed...:badteeth:

I went from the 190/50 to a 180/55 back before the 190/55 came out and boy let me tell ya there is a big difference in turn in and flickability but as said in previous post the throttle does need to be controlled.

As soon as the 180 i have now wears out i will be going with the 190/55 for sure.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top